Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) dropshot rods (Read 7401 times)
bassin9
WBC Member

I Love WBC!

dropshot rods
11/28/09 at 21:05:12
Quote Print Post  
Mama says I've been good this year so asked what  I want for Christmas. So I have been thinking of getting a new dropshot rod. I currently use a DSR820s g-loomis but have been eyeballing a glx  rod as well as a carrot stick. so can I get some feed back on them or others that might be available?

Thomas

IP Logged

bassin9
WBC Member

I Love WBC!

Re: dropshot rods
Reply #1 - 12/06/09 at 05:53:19
Quote Print Post  
Come on guys, I know someone out there has some kind of info I could use.

IP Logged

2000subaru
Ex Member

Reply #2 - 12/06/09 at 06:23:50
Quote Print Post  
Thomas- my wife won't even let me eye an GLX rod!   Angry

IP Logged

marktfd88
Ex Member

Reply #3 - 12/06/09 at 14:00:17
Quote Print Post  
Thomas,
  Avoid the carrot stix.  Not saying there are not light and sensitive, they are, but they have had a real problem w/ breaking and a poor customer service record.  As to the GLX,  that is alot of $$$ for a technique that doesn't require that level of sensitivity.  Consider other good brand name rods that cost alot less and save the $$$ and use it to  spend more time on the water enjoying the sport.

IP Logged

jwerner
Ex Member

Reply #4 - 12/06/09 at 17:21:41
Quote Print Post  
Thomas ,

822 GLX Bronzeback is my favorite when it comes to dropshotting.  Very sensitive, light weight.  If you dropshot smallie beavers or 3" chiggar craws, this rod, IMO handles the baits better than a 0 power Loomis.   Good tip for castin light baits nd nice backbone for playing larger fish.  I've got 5+ smallies and 7+ greenies on the rod and it's amazing.  If you're heading out this Winter, feel free to borrow one from me.  My arse stays in the house til the end of February....

IP Logged

Chris B.
Ex Member

Reply #5 - 12/06/09 at 17:45:08
Quote Print Post  
I use the Loomis DSR 820S also and at times it feels almost too light.  I have lost a number of fish because I couldn't overpower them, even with 8 lb test.  Susan uses a Ordella DS rod and its the best but you won't be able to find one.

IP Logged

basspro
Ex Member

Reply #6 - 12/07/09 at 01:49:54
Quote Print Post  
Chris,

Not true, you still can find the Ordella Rod with the woman who still custom makes them for a select few people.

Russ

IP Logged

Chris B.
Ex Member

Reply #7 - 12/07/09 at 03:01:15
Quote Print Post  
Quote:
Chris,

Not true, you still can find the Ordella Rod with the woman who still custom makes them for a select few people.

Russ

Shocked  Thats great to know Russ, thanks !

IP Logged

Larry S.
Board Moderator

Reply #8 - 12/10/09 at 06:26:17
Quote Print Post  
I still like the Shimano Crucial Dropshot rod.....and if you want it for a baitcaster they have it too!! Supersinsitive! They are around 145.00 and for the 70.00 range the Compre line is super too!! here is a link showing some fish caught on them...
http://s157.photobucket.com/albums/t79/larfshmn/?action=view&current=mov-3-br09....

Never changed rods...it was a Compre 7' Med-Fast.

IP Logged

bassin9
WBC Member

I Love WBC!

Reply #9 - 12/13/09 at 21:50:44
Quote Print Post  
After doig some research, I found that the reel I have been using weighs in at 10.4 oz. and the one I had on before weighs in at 8.8ozs. So I am going to try a new reel that weighs in at 7.4 oz.

The reason for asking this question is because after fishing the FLW qualifiers one week and then fishing the team tourney the next, my wrist was about to give up on me.

I have heard about having a good balanced weight on your rod and reel, but I would think you would have to give up something in the reel or rod. I sure could have used a well balanced combo in my last tourneys.

Anyways thanks guys for the advice and if this does not work I will have to duct tape my rod to my hand on the next one.

Thomas

IP Logged

DUNE HOPPER
WBC Member

USMC Ret.  "Full Livewells,
I'll drink to that!"

Reply #10 - 12/14/09 at 17:47:06
Quote Print Post  
The total weight of my Crucial DS Rod and Chronarch 51 Baitcaster reel is less than 11 oz. Smiley

Smitty Wink

AKA Dune Hopper

Retired From Everything but Feeshin and doing April's bidding

IP Logged

Tnbasmstr
Ex Member

Reply #11 - 02/04/10 at 03:56:13
Quote Print Post  
I agree, the DS Rod I purchased from Ordello works like a charm.......And like Russ stated, that special lady will make you one if you ask nicely....She has made me an additional rod after Ordello went away and it has the same great quality.......but.......the rod Smitty referenced is a great choice also......It's all about personal choice and how you feel about it........

Chuck Pigue

IP Logged

Rwfaz
Ex Member

Reply #12 - 06/21/10 at 20:27:02
Quote Print Post  
This weekend at the Banks Lake Tournament, I fished my new dropshot rod - 7ft 2in Shimano Crucial Dropshot - as Larry mentioned earlier it is super sensitive.... and one  heck of a rod! I wound up fishing it the whole weekend with a Shimano Sedona 1000 reel, 6 lb line. The weight and balance was awesome and it handled everything up to 2.75lb Largemouth very easily.

It was more sensitive than any other rod I have fished with. The reel only weighs 7.7 oz and I fished the whole day on "Million Dollar Mile" with no fatigue.....

Faz
« Last Edit: 06/22/10 at 07:16:18 by »  

IP Logged

Y2SAYS
Forum Administrator
WBC Member
WBC Board Member

Reply #13 - 06/22/10 at 00:38:09
Quote Print Post  
I've been using the 6'8" for last couple of years and it is probably my favorite rod.

"Do or do not, there is no try"

IP Logged

Larry S.
Board Moderator

Reply #14 - 06/22/10 at 02:44:58
Quote Print Post  
I baught a Wright McGill Skeet Reese 7ft rod...yes...the yellow one! And it is an awesome rod! It is just a hair heavier than my Crucial but is super sensitive and with a price of $89.00 it is a steal!

IP Logged

Bookmarks: del.icio.us Digg Facebook Google Google+ Linked in reddit StumbleUpon Twitter Yahoo