Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) Lake Washington (Read 9664 times)
Varmint
Ex Member

Lake Washington
09/20/09 at 13:35:44
Quote Print Post  
Waited for the rain to stop and then fished Washington from 11:45 to 3:30 Sat. There were no trailers at the Rainier ramp when I arrived or when I left...awesome. I saw maybe three bass boats on the lake. Water was 67.7 deg, light steady wind out of the NW. Got three right away just N of Pleasure point, trolling a deep CB. My set up will get the CB to 24 feet so I keep the boat in 23 to 25 feet so the bait will touch bottom frequently. This generates crushing attacks!  Anyway, moved to the E shore of Mercer and picked up three more. All fish were 2 to 3 pound range. Hooked a seventh, a real moose, but she came unbuttoned half way to the boat.

IP Logged

Chris B.
WBC Member

Re: Lake Washington
Reply #1 - 09/20/09 at 17:40:12
Quote Print Post  
Nice job.  Susan and I were also out yesterday 11:30-2:30.  Definetly a great day to be on the water with minimal boat traffic.

Wishful Sponsors: BassCat Boats, Mercury Marine, Tackle Warehouse, Chevy Trucks, Chevron Gas, G-Loomis Rods, Shimano Reels.
IP Logged

brokentrail
Forum Member

I fish because the voices
in my head tell me to!

Reply #2 - 10/24/09 at 16:11:13
Quote Print Post  
I took the boys out of school and took them fishing on Lk. WA yesterday, since I had a vacation day scheduled that I had forgotten about.  The weather was pretty nasty but it didn't run us off the lake.  The plan was to get into some of the big perch we stumbled on during the team tourney, well, that didn't work out at all.  I checked all the points from 15 out to 50 ft of water and I couldn't find a school of perch, anywhere, it was like they disppeared.

We switched tactics after beating our heads against the wall for a few hours and went smallie fishing.  I was able to get 3 smallmouths, ranging from a pound to two pounds, fishing a drop-shot around deep boat docks, up to 25ft.  The boys were cold and we decided to head in.  It was a wet ride as the white caps were rolling but we made it....

So does anyone have any idea where the perch may have been?

Cheers!&&&&Andy
IP Logged

Sarge
Ex Member

Reply #3 - 10/24/09 at 16:30:42
Quote Print Post  
I bet you were still around the perch. Sometimes during nasty weather they school up along the bottom instead of vertically and it is hard to determine a school on your depth finder. Their schools can look like a log on the bottom.

Chris

IP Logged

brokentrail
Forum Member

in my head tell me to!

Reply #4 - 10/25/09 at 00:00:31
Quote Print Post  
Thanks Sarge.  Hrm, I even broke out the camera to try and find them but never did, of course, could have been I just wasn't around them when I had the camera on....I sure was hoping for a fish-fry tonight though!  I think I'll have a couple more days to try and catch a mess of fish before I put the boat up for the winter though Smiley

Cheers!&&&&Andy
IP Logged

basspro
Ex Member

Reply #5 - 10/25/09 at 17:41:39
Quote Print Post  
Me and a buddy caught over a 100 perch yesterday in 51-53 feet of water. We cleaned 80 of them for a future fish fry.
Found them on East Channel side just about 3/4 mile below I -90 Bridge.

We were catching them on the new MC rig. Caught 3 fish at a time.

Russ

IP Logged

brokentrail
Forum Member

in my head tell me to!

Reply #6 - 10/25/09 at 18:31:41
Quote Print Post  
Ouch!  Rub it in Russ! :-P  Thanks for telling me what depth and about where though, if I get out to Lk. WA again, I'll search the east channel and start my search deeper than I usually do.  I think I'm going to try and hit Silver for some crappies next Friday if I can get it off on short notice.

Cheers!&&&&Andy
IP Logged

brokentrail
Forum Member

in my head tell me to!

Reply #7 - 10/25/09 at 18:33:21
Quote Print Post  
Oh and what is a MC rig?

Cheers!&&&&Andy
IP Logged

basspro
Ex Member

Reply #8 - 10/25/09 at 23:17:23
Quote Print Post  
The MC rig is named after my buddy Mark Chevrier for telling me about the herring Rig we used for catching perch. Its essentially 6 hooks with a bead in front of each hook with a leader tied on opposite ends to tie to your main line and a weight on the bottom.

It is essentially a multi-hooked drop shot rig with small crappie tubes on each hook. We were catching two to three fish at a time on the rig.

Russ

IP Logged

brokentrail
Forum Member

in my head tell me to!

Reply #9 - 10/25/09 at 23:45:58
Quote Print Post  
Nice....  Your gonna have to show me one of your rigs if you don't mind.  I perch fish quite a bit with the boys and that sounds like a dandy rig!  Is it similar to this rig?

http://www.seaisletackle.com/browse.cfm/4,3976.html

Andy

Cheers!&&&&Andy
IP Logged

Flippin Technician
Ex Member

Reply #10 - 10/25/09 at 23:50:58
Quote Print Post  
Looking forward to the next PPC (Perch and Poker challenge). Try the new trick, the MC rig. It worked perhaps even better than I thought it would. I went salmon fishing with my brother and law a few weeks ago and he pulled out this contraption and chucked it over the side and pulled up 5 and 6 herring at a time. I looked at that thing and said wow I bet the perch would kill that thing. So yesterday was the first time out for the new innovation for perch. As it turned out my intuition was right and Russ and I were slaying the perch. Those of you that attend the next PPC will be the benifactor of the new MC rig as Russ has so named it..... Hopefully I will be the benifactor of your poor poker skills LOL!!!!
Andy that is what we were using but the ones we were using had 6 hooks. We dressed them with tiny little tubes and POW! Fish on! It was interesting to see which hooks you caught them on. We initialy left some hooks bare with no tube. Most of the fish were caught on the dressed up hooks though. Sometimes on the top hook sometimes on the bottom and sometimes in the middle hooks. Once in a while more than one at a time. Russ managed to get three in one drop and I proclam that as the current standing record. Who out there can get four or more? I challenge you all to beat the MC Rig single drop catch record.

IP Logged

Sarge
Ex Member

Reply #11 - 10/26/09 at 00:42:09
Quote Print Post  
Hi guys,

Great idea with the herring rigs, but be careful posting this. Freshwater rules state that you can only use 3 hooks per line.

Chris

IP Logged

Daryl
Forum Member

Reply #12 - 10/26/09 at 13:36:51
Quote Print Post  
We used the same type of rig in Hawaii and Saudi to catch bait fish. We used a small gold hook and one piece of christmas tinsel.

Daryl

IP Logged

The_Rev.
Ex Member

Reply #13 - 10/26/09 at 20:29:38
Quote Print Post  
Sarge,

Obviously it must have been a typo on their part when they mentioned 6 hooks because these fine law-abiding sportsmen practically have the regulations memorized! Especially the part that says "Hook and line angling only. Barbed or barbless hooks may be used, and a hook may be single-point, double, or treble, but not more than one line with up to three hooks per angler may be used."

Great fishermen - just lousy typists!  After all, the 3 and the 6 are just two keys away from each other!  Or... I'm sure they meant they had 6 hooks between the two of them.  Yeah... that's the ticket!  That's their story and their sticking to it!   Wink

IP Logged

Sarge
Ex Member

Reply #14 - 10/26/09 at 21:49:12
Quote Print Post  
Two trebles is another possibility, Chuck!  Roll Eyes

IP Logged

Bookmarks: del.icio.us Digg Facebook Google Google+ Linked in reddit StumbleUpon Twitter Yahoo