Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) Lowrance StructureScan or side imaging (Read 11225 times)
BassAholic
Forum Member

Fords don't float !

Lowrance StructureScan or side imaging
07/24/09 at 23:40:29
Quote Print Post  
Well looks like Lowrance is very close to releasing there Side imaging what they are calling StructureScan Should be out in November & will work on all HDS units

I got a new HDS 5 few weeks ago & it is very nice Will review it in the next post.
Here are some links & very cool videos showing the SS in action. Note The Lowrance has 2 things the humming bird does not #1 it has a down fire 3d image as well as left & right 3d image #2 the network box will let all units connected use the SI Humming bird only lets you share weight points So once I get a HDS 7 or 8 I can put my 5 up front & have everything work together.

http://www.lowrance.com/en/Products/Marine/Broadband-Sounder-and-Ethernetworking...
http://www.lowrance.com/en/StructureScan/

The HDS-8 and HDS-10 have the triple screen option, the HDS-5 and HDS-7 have only the split screen option, but still show all the different options just not all of them at the same time.
The cost from what I have seen is going to be $699 could be $100 less but we will see.

Fish like you are retired!&&Work like your on vacation!&&
IP Logged

BassAholic
Forum Member

Fords don't float !

Re: Lowrance StructureScan or side imaging
Reply #1 - 07/25/09 at 00:31:41
Quote Print Post  
I did lot of checking before getting my HDS 5 mostly trying to find out what maps were available. The Topo maps that come built into the unit are top notch & the GPS screen moves very fast unlike older units were you had to crank the detail down to avoid screen lag.
The HDS 5 comes in 3 flavors  Base maps  Lake maps Or with Nauticpath
Base maps are just that a few lakes have Topo that are very lame Lake Maps are high detail maps of all the lakes in the US But!!! Do not cover Lake WA or Sammamish  Nuticpath salt water and those lakes but no other lakes LAME so why spend any more on lake maps if getting a HDS 5 you can use navionics chip & the new chip has WA & SAM on its lake maps now.Cost for Lowrance map units are about $100 more then base map.

The HDS 7,8 & 10 do not have the mapping limits  You can get with maps or with out They have what is called Insight USA that covers all lakes & salt

The HDS 5 uses cathode for back lighting the 7 uses LED. LED might be better in the long run & more impact resistant.

On the water. The screen is very bright & easy to see even when I have my polarized glasses on but the screen does smudge easy probably why they include a cleaning rag with it So keep your paws off LOL

The menus are confusing & are a very big change over past units so expect a learning curve.

The image of the bottom contour is the best I have seen even in the thick weeds I can still see a clear bottom line.The color line is way better then in the past & finding wood or rock on the bottom is much clearer. Most of this will not matter once SI is on.
I might make a few recordings & post.
Last thing to buy with a transducer or with out If you have a Blue connector then you are set. Be sure when you set up the unit to select the transducer you have in the menu.
Now here is the best price on the net to buy one.
http://www.jthelectronics.com/mm5/merchant.mvc?

IP Logged

bassin9
WBC Member

I Love WBC!

Reply #2 - 07/25/09 at 14:30:28
Quote Print Post  
I also have installed an HDS-5 on my boat. I really wanted an HDS-8 but would not work due to the window setup in my boat. Called around to find out about installing it but everyone I spoke to wanted to much money or they were just to busy, so like a kid at Christmas, I could not wait so I installed it myself. It was really pretty simple and I also added an NEP-1 ethernet box so that my LMS-520C on the bow would be able to communicate with each other. I've been waiting to see when the Structurescan units hit the market and from what I've been told by the reps is that everything should just plug into my NEP-1 unit. The only glitch I had is that when I ran both units at the same time they each have to be on different frequencies, and the HDS-5 lets you change them. Other than that I am still learning how to operate it.

IP Logged

BassAholic
Forum Member

Fords don't float !

Reply #3 - 07/27/09 at 00:23:06
Quote Print Post  
Hey did you flush mount your unit? I plan on moving my 5 to the front & flush mounting it but it is larger then the old units by about 1/4 inch funny thing is the screen is about 1/8th smaller  Huh The one nice thing is it is an internal antenna & it can be flush mounted & still receive the sat unlike the 520.
I don't think your Nep-1 will work with side scan you will need to swap it out with the LSS-1 but who knows you might get lucky.

IP Logged

bassin9
WBC Member

I Love WBC!

Reply #4 - 07/30/09 at 22:28:20
Quote Print Post  
No did not flush mount my unit. My console is way different than most so there is not much room for anything, but I do have to move the gps puck away from the LMS unit because it is to close for it to pick up a signal.

IP Logged

BassAholic
Forum Member

Fords don't float !

Reply #5 - 10/26/09 at 21:55:16
Quote Print Post  

IP Logged

BassAholic
Forum Member

Fords don't float !

Reply #6 - 10/26/09 at 22:01:48
Quote Print Post  

Very cool

Schools out  Cheesy

IP Logged

The_Rev.
Ex Member

Reply #7 - 10/26/09 at 23:52:31
Quote Print Post  
Pretty Cool!  Gee, now I wish I had been a good boy this year - cause I want one for Christmas!  Unfortunately Santa knows all... and that ain't gonna happen!

IP Logged

Nick-Barr
Ex Member

Reply #8 - 10/27/09 at 00:58:34
Quote Print Post  
Humminbird also has this, they are coming out with a FREE Update to all of their SI Units so that you can have it. It should be coming out soon.

With the intense competition from these guys, products will be getting better and better!!

IP Logged

BassAholic
Forum Member

Fords don't float !

Reply #9 - 10/27/09 at 16:27:17
Quote Print Post  
The question was asked on another site IF HB has been out with SI for many years B4 Lowrance then why did no one find that bridge before?
I was sure HB would come out with downward 3D imaging but HB has still has no networking and I want a unit at the bow & at the console.

IP Logged

DUNE HOPPER
WBC Member

USMC Ret.  "Full Livewells,
I'll drink to that!"

Reply #10 - 10/27/09 at 18:16:57
Quote Print Post  
I put an HDS5 in my console about 6 weeks ago and have been very impressed with the detail of sonar imaging.  I'm just waiting for the side-scan to come out.  My GPS unit at the console is an LCX 28HDC.  Still have a 332C on the bow.  All are networked together.
Anyone interested in purchasing a Lowrance 332C with the 2000 series antenna?  It has a lot of my old waypoints from all the eastside lakes still on it.  (Not that that means much to most of you)  Grin

Smitty Wink

AKA Dune Hopper

Retired From Everything but Feeshin and doing April's bidding

IP Logged

Rodney H
WBC Member

Why must I work!

Reply #11 - 10/28/09 at 01:58:04
Quote Print Post  
Smitty, I have been wanting to upgrade my old Pin Point I have on the bow. How much do ya want for the 332C?  Then I'll have to also ask, could it be networked with the 522iC I have on the counsel?

G3 Boats, A Yamaha Boat Company, HP180
AIM  
IP Logged

2000subaru
Ex Member

Reply #12 - 10/28/09 at 04:49:38
Quote Print Post  
I may be wrong Rodney, but I don't think they are able to network together...

IP Logged

DUNE HOPPER
WBC Member

I'll drink to that!"

Reply #13 - 10/28/09 at 18:16:23
Quote Print Post  
A call to Lowrance, or a question on the Sonar & Electronic board at BassBoat Central will answer the question regarding the networking, although I think they will.  I networked my other 332C with an LCX 28HDC and an HDS 5.

I would like to get $150.00 for the unit and antenna.  There is no sonar puck transducer with it, as it is still epoxied in the bottom of my Stratos and being used by the HDS 5 now.

Smitty Wink

AKA Dune Hopper

IP Logged

DUNE HOPPER
WBC Member

I'll drink to that!"

Reply #14 - 10/28/09 at 19:11:28
Quote Print Post  
I just went to the BBC site and found this post from an electronics shop:

If your two units are currently networked together you may not need anything. It all depends on what you are going to get to network with your 332. If you go with an older unit with the blue NMEA cables(LMS-332, LCX-26, etc...) you are not going to need anything. If you go with a newer unit with black/red NMEA connectors(LMS-520c, LCX-27c, or HDS units) you are going to need a red to blue adapter cable. Which sells for $23.99. I hope this has helped you out.
JUSTIN

With the hds unit you can share the internal antenna across the network as well as the hds can use the lgc 2000 antenna on the network. I had my 27c and hds7 on both antennas. As for the ducer the hds can use you existing ducer that the 332 was connected to. Hds head unit does the dual freq. conversion. So you would have dual freq if you bought the hds unit.

Hope this helps you Rodney.

Smitty Wink

AKA Dune Hopper

IP Logged

Bookmarks: del.icio.us Digg Facebook Google Google+ Linked in reddit StumbleUpon Twitter Yahoo