Normal Topic YAMAHA HPDI (Read 2358 times)
EX-PREZ
WBC Member

"I'd like to thank my
sponsors for helping
me out"

YAMAHA HPDI
06/17/09 at 01:32:19
Quote Print Post  
Well,
  I have been extremely happy with the perfomance and reliability with my 150 HPDI, until now.  Memmorial Day weekend the HPDI starting running on 5 cylinders.  After Connor and I changed all the plugs at Jacks house we found that #6 was wet and fouled.  We put it back on the water and it ran great for about 4 minutes, then fouled #6 again.  It did run but at only 4500 rpm and idled like crap.  Long story short, took it to Auburn Sports.  Prognosis, broke a reed valve and a piece of that went into the cylinder ruining the powerhead.  Boat is down until mid July.  JD, at Auburn Sports has been great.
  Here's what I've learned.......  if you've ever hit the "rev limiter", your warranty is VOID!!! If you don't use "Yamaha Ring Free" fuel additive, your warranty is VOID.  Fortunately, I'm anal about maintenance and it is fully covered by Yamaha.  All I can say is THANK GOD for "hot foots" (prevent over revving) and THANK GOD for "playing by the rules".  A very expensive issue!!!!  No Banks for the Ron, Shanne, Connor and Tanner show but we'll be back for July.  Good luck to the Banks Gang......

SPONSORS:&&MY BEAUTIFUL WIFE!&&1st pick at the raffle (when we have a raffle)&&TEAM NO BOAT PAYMENT/ NO TRUCK PAYMENT&&AQUA VU CAMERAS (borrowed from Terry, scratch that, he took it back)&&STRATOS boats (pre-owned division)&&YAMAHA (came with the STRATOS boat)

IP Logged

basspro
Ex Member

Re: YAMAHA HPDI
Reply #1 - 06/17/09 at 04:22:36
Quote Print Post  
Ron,

Good post for info on HPDI Yammi's. Not good post because you guys can't make Sad Sad

Russ

IP Logged

Larry S.
Board Moderator

Reply #2 - 06/17/09 at 04:29:12
Quote Print Post  
Sorry to hear this Ron...was wondering why our boats were side-by-side at AS&M Cry Tongue

IP Logged

Chris B.
WBC Member

Reply #3 - 06/17/09 at 06:37:18
Quote Print Post  
Glad its getting fixed under WARRANTY.  Surprised Yamaha has that strict of rules.  Good info for the other Yamaha owners to know and follow.  I always run Quick-leen in my Mercury.

Wishful Sponsors: BassCat Boats, Mercury Marine, Tackle Warehouse, Chevy Trucks, Chevron Gas, G-Loomis Rods, Shimano Reels.
IP Logged

DUNE HOPPER
WBC Member

USMC Ret.  "Full Livewells,
I'll drink to that!"

Reply #4 - 06/17/09 at 16:37:29
Quote Print Post  
A good case for Boysen reeds!!

Smitty Wink

AKA Dune Hopper

Retired From Everything but Feeshin and doing April's bidding

IP Logged

bassboattech
Ex Member

Reply #5 - 06/18/09 at 02:53:22
Quote Print Post  
not running ring free does not void your warranty...period, thats like saying if i dont use yamaha oil warranty void...its a recomended product that does work, and hitting rev limiter does not void your warrany...maybe if your boat is improperly propped and its got ten hours on the rev limiter thats another story....read your owners manual guys

IP Logged

bassboattech
Ex Member

Reply #6 - 06/18/09 at 02:54:14
Quote Print Post  
oh ya running after market parts on your boat...will void your warranty.   ie reeds

IP Logged

Jack
Forum Member

Reply #7 - 06/18/09 at 03:26:16
Quote Print Post  
Kinda wondered how you would show that you used ring-free? lie detecter test?

IP Logged

bassboattech
Ex Member

Reply #8 - 06/18/09 at 03:38:29
Quote Print Post  
exactly...its a decarbonizing product that yamaha markets as a recomended product, mercurys is quickkleen,  while these products do work and are recomended if it was a warranty issue they will ask you if you run them and make a case by case des on that basis.  if this was the case they would want you running it from day one ...but thats not the case they dont want you running it on a 10 hour break in how come....thats it food for thought.

IP Logged

bassboattech
Ex Member

Reply #9 - 06/18/09 at 03:41:53
Quote Print Post  
as far as a rev limiting factor ever bass boat ive worked on has come out of the water at one time or the other....oops hit the rev limiter....warranty void......as much as i like the guys and have worked for aub sports.....thats a crap story if i ever heard one.......just my 2 cents

IP Logged

Bookmarks: del.icio.us Digg Facebook Google Google+ Linked in reddit StumbleUpon Twitter Yahoo