Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) Monofilament or Fluorocarbon? (Read 5613 times)
bill44
Ex Member

Monofilament or Fluorocarbon?
02/28/09 at 19:42:22
Quote Print Post  
Question I have is what line do you perfer or do you use both?  I use P-Line Mono but was looking at Fluorocarbon for my baitcaster and drop shot.

I understand that on a baitcaster it sinks faster and on the spinning reel is more sensitive.

Thanks,

IP Logged

Troy
Ex Member

Re: Monofilament or Fluorocarbon?
Reply #1 - 03/01/09 at 01:50:02
Quote Print Post  
bill awesome question.  having been using both i prefer the the floro over mono now without a doubt.  floro has many advantages like increased sensitivity to feel more bites or just fishy areas in general, less stretch for better hooksets on long cast, faster sink rates which helps when fishing deeper water like we do in the winter,  practically invisible for more bites.  I'm sure there are more but these are majors ones for me.  the one thing i dont like about floro is its memory problems. Floro is less plyable then mono which helps on spinning reels but doesnt really affect your baitcasting for the most part.  One thing i will be toying with more this yeat is braid with a floro leader...I recently started using it, and have been extremely impressed in the sensitivity that you gain with the two. 

hope this helps answer some of your questions.

troy

IP Logged

brokentrail
Forum Member

I fish because the voices
in my head tell me to!

Reply #2 - 03/01/09 at 02:25:29
Quote Print Post  
I find that I use both depending on what I'm doing.  I do use fluorocarbon on my drop shot rigs and two of my bait casters but I leave one spooled with mono in case I'm throwing a top water, as you said it sinks and drags the nose of your topwater down so it doesn't work correctly.  I haven't gotten into the braids much yet but I am going to run a rod spooled with braid this year to see how I like it, who knows, I may end up in a full circle and back to mono Smiley

Cheers!&&&&Andy
IP Logged

Nick-Barr
Ex Member

Reply #3 - 03/01/09 at 04:10:29
Quote Print Post  
Flouro all the way. I only have flouro on a couple of reaction bait/topwater rods now. I prefer Sugoi flouro and Sufix Flouro.
I usually use 8-10-12 lb tests and then 20lb. for flipping. I tend to stay away from 6 lb. as I have had some management issues.

I can't stand the insensitivity of mono now that I am using flouro.

IP Logged

basspro
Ex Member

Reply #4 - 03/01/09 at 06:11:22
Quote Print Post  
I use floro,mono,braid, and co-polymer for many different apps. P-Line, Gamma,Maxima, Stren, power pro. They all have their place. I have been using stren and maxima for over 25 years, braid for a couple, mostly for skipping, and just love the Gamma for grubs, drop shot, jerk baits since coming out.

Its mostly a confidence deal on which line you choose. Heck I have 6lb Mckoy on one reel that I love as well.

Go figure.

Russ

IP Logged

bill44
Ex Member

Reply #5 - 03/01/09 at 21:50:58
Quote Print Post  
Thanks for the imput.  I have used P-Line Florocarbon and I think I may go back to using it again.

Thanks

Bill

IP Logged

BassAholic
Forum Member

Fords don't float !

Reply #6 - 03/02/09 at 00:46:12
Quote Print Post  
Hold on there are lot of new lines hitting the market. I hate Fluorocarbon on spin reels because of memory. Spider wire has a new Fluorocarbon called ultracast they say has way less memory I hope it works.
http://www.basspro.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?storeId=10151&ca...
Check out the videos on the new lines
http://www.tacklewarehouse.com/icast08.html?ccode=BERKLINE

Fish like you are retired!&&Work like your on vacation!&&
IP Logged

trucknmusic
Ex Member

Reply #7 - 03/02/09 at 15:11:09
Quote Print Post  
I use braid w/ fluro leader on almost all rods.  I never found a fluro that can handle the line twists on spinning gear... that is why I use braid.  I use mono on my jerkbait/topwater rod bc I want some stretch to work the bait right.  I use the following lines

Braid: power pro, the best I have tried! (20lb for most/65 for heavy cover)
Mono: McCoys mean green (12lb)
Fluro: BPS (8lb)... I am sure there are better fluros out there but for leader material I am happy w/ this line and it is a good value. 

- Jon

IP Logged

Xsftballer
Forum Member

St. Croix Rods Pro Staff,
Anglers Marine Pro Staff

Reply #8 - 03/04/09 at 04:23:20
Quote Print Post  
Bill I use Fluorocarbon for everything except top water and some flipping. Top water I would use, like mentioned before, mono.

Frog fishing nothing but Braid.

All other fishing is fluoro.

I have been using the Berkley 100% fluoro for the last year or so and love it. I did not like Berkleys Vanish but love the 100%.

Misunderstood

IP Logged

Larry S.
Board Moderator

Reply #9 - 03/05/09 at 18:28:44
Quote Print Post  
I am still old fashioned....use only two sizes of Mono....8 lb. and 12 lb.
I do use Braid on my flipping sticks but in this state 12 lb. Izorline works just fine!
might start using some braid / Flouro combo for dropshotting as I think I am missing fish because of visibility/sensitivity.

IP Logged

bill44
Ex Member

Reply #10 - 03/13/09 at 00:58:57
Quote Print Post  
Thanks for all the imput.  I will be throwing Fluorocabon more this year except on my topwater stuff.

A better feel on the line and the invisible line are all postives.

Bill Grin

IP Logged

Bookmarks: del.icio.us Digg Facebook Google Google+ Linked in reddit StumbleUpon Twitter Yahoo