Normal Topic Banks report (Read 3350 times)
Y2SAYS
Forum Administrator
WBC Member
WBC Board Member

Banks report
05/21/08 at 07:04:31
Quote Print Post  
Fished Banks on Sunday and Monday and it was much tougher than my last two trips last year.  They must have just finished spawning and was not interested in feeding.  We did work some beds, but most were abandoned.  The first day my best 5 went 11.4lbs. with the biggest a 3.2lb largie.  The second day was much slower with some fish here and there, but no size.  Still a nice two days of fishing.

"Do or do not, there is no try"

IP Logged

dilbert
Forum Member

Re: Banks report
Reply #1 - 05/21/08 at 13:55:40
Quote Print Post  
Nice!  I saw your pics on a different site.  Sounds like a good trip.  How far in advance do you generally need to reserve a spot at Steamboat?  I'd like to make that trip sometime, but I'll never stay at one of the private campgrounds again.

IP Logged

Daryl
Forum Member

Reply #2 - 05/21/08 at 14:25:37
Quote Print Post  
You can reserve spots in state parks 9 months prior to the day of arrival. I suggest that you do that with Steamboat State Park. That is supposed to be one of the hardest parks to get reservations after May 15th.

What was the water temp at Banks? I take it you were fishing The Popplers?

IP Logged

gotfive
Ex Member

Reply #3 - 05/21/08 at 20:43:09
Quote Print Post  
If what I have seen at Potholes and at Vantage is any indication, everything regarding spawning is LATE!!  Some fish may have spawned during the recent full moon, but the majority will be doing there thing later, IMHO.

IP Logged

DUNE HOPPER
WBC Member

USMC Ret.  "Full Livewells,
I'll drink to that!"

Reply #4 - 05/21/08 at 21:42:15
Quote Print Post  
O.D. & I concur!! Cheesy

Smitty Wink

Retired From Everything but Feeshin and doing April's bidding

IP Logged

Y2SAYS
Forum Administrator
WBC Member
WBC Board Member

Reply #5 - 05/22/08 at 04:37:58
Quote Print Post  
I made reservations 2 weeks in advance.  I did it online and there were plenty of site available.  Make sure you get one with electricity to charge your boat.  Fighting the winds can drain your battery fairly fast.  Water temps were from upper 50s to mid 60s depending on where you where at.

"Do or do not, there is no try"

IP Logged

Rodney H
WBC Member

Why must I work!

Reply #6 - 06/05/08 at 03:49:16
Quote Print Post  
Hi, my wife and I stayed at Steamboat Rock State Park, made reservations in Feb, was there 5/26/08 to 6/01/08.  We had great weather and the bass where a plenty.  Found largemouth on beds and smallmouth where in all stages of spawn.  Even caught a 22 inch walleye flipping a creature bait into the shadows of rocks in 6 feet of water, good supper she made. The smallmouth perferred Mini-Me spinner baits and any plastic rigged any way, drop shot, on a jig, weightless, split shot it just didn't matter, and they hit and used up colors of plastic I've never caught a smallmouth with on this side of the state. We had a very good time.

G3 Boats, A Yamaha Boat Company, HP180
AIM  
IP Logged

Stu
Ex Member

Reply #7 - 06/05/08 at 06:11:49
Quote Print Post  
Hi, Rodney.

Glad the fish finally turned on for you. That is the way it was supposed to be for the Jamboree!

Stu

IP Logged

Bookmarks: del.icio.us Digg Facebook Google Google+ Linked in reddit StumbleUpon Twitter Yahoo