Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 3 4  ReplyAdd Poll Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) Riffe (Read 12634 times)
Joel_Booth
Forum Member

Silver?........ I hate
Silver!!

Re: Riffe
Reply #15 - 05/23/08 at 04:11:39
Quote Print Post  
Hey if the lake is rising at something like 5 feet a day does anyone know exactly what that will do to the spawn?  Do the fish start spawning in the shallows and then just get bombarded with new snow melt, or will they wait till the water becomes a little more stable.  Was just curious, never really had to worry about this fishing Silver lake.   Undecided

IP Logged

basspro
Ex Member

Reply #16 - 05/23/08 at 04:18:43
Quote Print Post  
Joel,

If they are spawning at Riffe with all that cold water coming in it would be an absolute miracle.

I would say they won't be spawning until July or late june when the water levels settle and the temps escalate greatly. I have seen fish spawn there as late as August during high run-off years.

I would be fishing reaction baits like cranks, jerk baits, etc. unless you find stable water then I would be dragging. But more than likely the reaction bite will be more solid.

Russ

IP Logged

Flippin Technician
Ex Member

Reply #17 - 05/23/08 at 05:17:51
Quote Print Post  
I would tend to agree with Russell on this one. I would throuw something bright and noisy. Especially if the water remains as muddy as the pictures I have seen as of late. Bouncing rattle traps off of stumps near one of the feeder creek channels. I would be surprised to see many, if any at all, fish spawning until the ice water coming in warms up and water levels stablize a bit. I too have seen the major spawn not take place there until late June when there is a lot of snow melt late like this.

IP Logged

Nick-Barr
Ex Member

Reply #18 - 05/23/08 at 05:24:48
Quote Print Post  
I would fish it, but I have Team Football Camp at UW. Biggest smallie came out of Riffe, good memories of the lake that a lot of people supposedly "Hate".

-Nick

IP Logged

Joel_Booth
Forum Member

Silver?........ I hate
Silver!!

Reply #19 - 05/23/08 at 23:44:14
Quote Print Post  
Thanks for the info guys.  I kinda  forgot about the whole snow runoff=cold temperatures thing.  Huh

IP Logged

b_olson
Forum Member

Reply #20 - 05/25/08 at 04:57:27
Quote Print Post  
hey troy, do you know that our back seaters are beating us in points?  Embarrassed that ends at riffe

IP Logged

Troy
Ex Member

Reply #21 - 05/26/08 at 23:52:01
Quote Print Post  
oly never speak of this info on a public forum again... and yes i know this  Embarrassed

troy

IP Logged

Rwfaz
Ex Member

Reply #22 - 05/28/08 at 19:13:01
Quote Print Post  
There's a good chance the Nitro will be back on the water in time for Riffe, in which case I'll be looking for a "co-Angler/Backseater". We can even travel down in comfort in the upgraded Tow Rig I just got hold of - 1993 GMC Suburban with only one previous owner barely 100,000 mils on it and a complete service history from 5 miles on the clock.

I'll post this in the Find A Partner section as well.

Faz
206-550-8538
206-461-1282 Office
faz@westernbassclub.com
or you can PM me.

IP Logged

Chris B.
WBC Member

Reply #23 - 05/28/08 at 19:16:28
Quote Print Post  
Good to hear Faz.  That sounds like a nice tow vehicle too !!  Hope you enjoy getting 10 mpg, I know I don't  Wink

Wishful Sponsors: BassCat Boats, Mercury Marine, Tackle Warehouse, Chevy Trucks, Chevron Gas, G-Loomis Rods, Shimano Reels.
IP Logged

Rwfaz
Ex Member

Reply #24 - 05/28/08 at 19:18:31
Quote Print Post  
Chris, I haven't tried towing yet, but I'm getting almost 16mpg on the freeway at 60mph. This is the 350cu in motor - and runs really well. I only got 17.5mpg in the ford when now towing and that dropped to 14mpg on the Tri-cities round trip. I'm hoping to get about the same with the new rig.

Faz

IP Logged

Rwfaz
Ex Member

Reply #25 - 05/28/08 at 19:22:02
Quote Print Post  
By the way, that also means I'll be looking for a new home for the F150. It tows, but I know the engine is a sick puppy, no idea what the problem is - would be perfect for a knowledgeable person. Worst case I can imagine is a rebuilt motor dropped in and it should be good for another 100,000 miles. I'll be posting it in the Buy/Sell section soon.

Faz

IP Logged

Chris B.
WBC Member

Reply #26 - 05/28/08 at 23:02:58
Quote Print Post  
Quote:
Chris, I haven't tried towing yet, but I'm getting almost 16mpg on the freeway at 60mph. This is the 350cu in motor - and runs really well. I only got 17.5mpg in the ford when now towing and that dropped to 14mpg on the Tri-cities round trip. I'm hoping to get about the same with the new rig.

Faz

May be possible.  It definetly sounds like a stronger motor that my van's 350.  Mine runs good don't get me wrong, but it loves the 87 octane.  It just rolled over 140k saturday.

Wishful Sponsors: BassCat Boats, Mercury Marine, Tackle Warehouse, Chevy Trucks, Chevron Gas, G-Loomis Rods, Shimano Reels.
IP Logged

gotfive
Ex Member

Reply #27 - 05/29/08 at 15:08:08
Quote Print Post  
Basspro and Flippin Tech.  I can't leave this alone Undecided.  In another post you say that the fish spawn at Potholes in 50-52 degree water, here you say no way will they spawn in all that snow melt! Lips Sealed  I am finding this confounding.  My sources say the water at Riffe is in the lower 50's, so why aren't they spawning now?  Please enlighten me.  Basspro's comment regarding seeing fish spawn in August makes more sense to me than anything else.

IP Logged

basspro
Ex Member

Reply #28 - 05/29/08 at 15:58:15
Quote Print Post  
Kirk,

I said some fish like smallies I have seen on beds in 47-50 degree water. And yes that some fish are always shallow and not necessarily on beds I can agree with you on that. Riffe on the other hand is at a stage where there is a huge influx of cold water (moving/unstable muddy water)  and I just don't believe with that instability that the fish will be on beds even in those temps. Now if you had stable temps in that range and stable water levels I could see some fish being bedded.

I have read the science as well, but know and have experienced seeing some fish both LM and Sm on beds in lower temps from the east to the west coast.

Kirk your points are interesting and thats what makes this issue on prespawn/spawning fish such a good topic for discussion.

Thanks for the input.

Russ

IP Logged

BassAholic
Forum Member

Fords don't float !

Reply #29 - 06/04/08 at 20:13:00
Quote Print Post  
If we are staying at Tacoma Power Park - Taidnapam What boat launch will we be using?? I still have not decided to fish this one yet But it could be fun to fish a lake I never have seen & is way to big for my boat so I love the odds Wink

Fish like you are retired!&&Work like your on vacation!&&
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 
ReplyAdd Poll Send TopicPrint
Bookmarks: del.icio.us Digg Facebook Google Google+ Linked in reddit StumbleUpon Twitter Yahoo