Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) cracked hull (Read 11686 times)
Troy
Ex Member

cracked hull
02/25/08 at 04:48:05
Quote Print Post  
i've been finding quite a bit of water in my bilge lately when taking the boat out...so i filled the boat up with water yesterday and found I have water leaking out of my keel under the the aluminum hull protector.  i've been reading up on other fishing boards and seems the consensous is a big pain in the... should fit under the hull warranty but turnaround i guess is several months.  anyone go through this before?  maybe jb weld until october maybe?  i'm gonna call them tommorrow so wish me luck.

troy

IP Logged

Larry S.
Board Moderator

Re: cracked hull
Reply #1 - 02/25/08 at 05:14:41
Quote Print Post  
Had the same with my Tracker troy....but it waited till year 7....thought the all welded hull erased the problem but maybe not.
I had a slit start under the casting deck at the impact zone for waves and such and it only got worse as I tried to get to the keel, the foam was a major issue to get out of the way for the liquid weld materials to bond properly and if you try to weld it the foam is highly flammable and toxic if burned so........my experience is to have them factory fix it.....so it stays in warranty....and either trade it in or take it easier....these are great for the weekend angler to go out and get at it but you fished some significant waters under some nasty weather conditions and frankly........YOU ARE TO GOOD FOR THIS BOAT! Wink
I stuck with the 40 horse on my TX-17 and dont like waves so sacrificed fishing calmer waters rather than make the big runs......I believe yours is an 18ft...with a 90? but every time we saw a motor upgrade from the standard motor, the hulls failed quicker.
Hope this helps and keep us up on how it goes.

p.s. if you ever need a ride, let me know you got one!

IP Logged

sarge
Ex Member

Reply #2 - 02/25/08 at 18:28:45
Quote Print Post  
Hey Troy,

Larry and I were going through these issues at the same time. I had a 1994 TX-17 with some significant leakage around a few rivets and along a main weld. JB Weld might get you through a couple of trips, but it will crack again quickly. I would bet on it. If I was in your situation, I would probably bite the bullet and get it done now, because the problem will only get worse as the year goes on, and you have a warranty to get it fixed. You don't want to be out on the Columbia River with a crack too big for the bilge to keep up with.

Good luck with whatever you decide to do!

Chris

IP Logged

gotfive
Ex Member

Reply #3 - 02/25/08 at 21:06:54
Quote Print Post  
Good Luck, Troy.

IP Logged

b_olson
Forum Member

Reply #4 - 02/26/08 at 01:30:56
Quote Print Post  
that sucks. troy you can buy my baby blue 1983 skeeter, starfire. o yes the reverse is out right now on it.

IP Logged

Troy
Ex Member

Reply #5 - 02/26/08 at 02:49:26
Quote Print Post  
calling gonnasons tommorrow, they are closed today.  as long as they dont send it back to the factory i'll be ok  Undecided

troy

IP Logged

Wabasmstr
Ex Member

Reply #6 - 02/26/08 at 03:47:43
Quote Print Post  
Troy,  if you want to stay in an aluminum, go for an Xpress....I test drove their 21 ft version with a 225 on it and it handled lake washington with ease on a choppy day.   You can even move up to their 22 footer now with a 300 HP on it....................

Or try the Tracker Avalanche model......  these are only if you want or must stay with alum...

Good luck,

Chuck P

IP Logged

Admin
Forum Administrator

I love YaBB!

Reply #7 - 02/26/08 at 14:35:57
Quote Print Post  
I had the same problem with my aluminum boat.  Had it welded, but it was a pain in the butt to get it fixed and it cost me $500.  Sikaflex 292 really does the job patching up holes, however.  Good leaking rivets and small leaks.  And DO NOT use JB Weld!!!

IP Logged

Joel_Booth
Forum Member

Silver?........ I hate
Silver!!

Reply #8 - 02/26/08 at 22:08:37
Quote Print Post  
I know that Doug was going through the same thing with his tracker a couple years back.  Lucky for him I borrowed his boat and blew up the motor.  Now he's fishing out of a Ranger.......No thanks needed. Wink

IP Logged

Stu
Ex Member

Reply #9 - 02/27/08 at 03:56:09
Quote Print Post  
LUND

Stu

IP Logged

Hooter
WBC Member

topwater under a full
moon

Reply #10 - 02/27/08 at 04:06:54
Quote Print Post  
sikaflex it will fix almost anything    tires,aluminum boats,campers,sinks,and on and on.

SHUT UP AND FISH!!!           I fish because the voices in my head tell me too.
IP Logged

Chris B.
WBC Member

Reply #11 - 02/27/08 at 04:07:33
Quote Print Post  
I'd agree with Lund if you have to go aluminum.  A bass tracker will provide years of pleasure, IF you don't USE the boat.  Troy uses his boat.  He was probably driving faster on Chelan during that storm than I was.  He knows how to drive that sucker, too bad it wasn't strong enough.

Wishful Sponsors: BassCat Boats, Mercury Marine, Tackle Warehouse, Chevy Trucks, Chevron Gas, G-Loomis Rods, Shimano Reels.
IP Logged

S._Basser
Ex Member

Reply #12 - 02/27/08 at 04:37:19
Quote Print Post  
Tracker is very good with the warranty repair/replacement. Lord knows, I gave them enough practise at it. They were very interested to disect my #2 hull, to find out why it cracked where it did, after a few months. One thing you'll find out, is that (if you get a new hull), it will only be warranted for whatever is left of your original warranty, or one year if at the end of 5 years. Maybe not confidence inspiring?

NOW is the time to send your boat into the factory. There will be empty trucks going back, after delivering new boats NOW. At the end of October, you will have to wait months to get a new hull, and chances of them replacing it will perhaps be less.

Do yourself a huge favor, IF you can get a new hull out of them...trade that POS in and get something good. The Legend, Bass Cat, Ranger, Stratos, Xpress, or Crestliner. A few others, not many. I don't see much sense to a small FG boat, because they're too fast for small lakes and too small for big lakes. That's my $2, based on my three Nitro's.  Angry C&R, Steve

IP Logged

Troy
Ex Member

Reply #13 - 02/27/08 at 05:31:40
Quote Print Post  
called gonnasons today and found they dont do in house welding so i've been told to find a welding quote for the boat and fax it over to them.  so sounds like i dont send it back to the factory at this point. 

as far as aluminum wars go Wink i have had a good time with my tracker but wont be sad to see her go.  my plan is get a new boat next spring and if it werent for my conscious i would slap some putty on there and sell the sucker, but i want to get it fixed right so some other kid may be able to get what i got out of it. 

haha chris my goal is to one day drive like smitty  Grin

troy

IP Logged

Rodney H
WBC Member

Why must I work!

Reply #14 - 02/27/08 at 06:00:13
Quote Print Post  
Sorry to hear of your leak.  Hope ya find a place to weld it, I don't know of any places to check out.  I do have to speak up, go with a G3, its a Yamaha boat company and do have Skeeter on the data plate.

G3 Boats, A Yamaha Boat Company, HP180
AIM  
IP Logged

Bookmarks: del.icio.us Digg Facebook Google Google+ Linked in reddit StumbleUpon Twitter Yahoo