Normal Topic Top Water Baits (Read 1157 times)
basspro
Ex Member

Top Water Baits
07/11/07 at 05:04:13
Quote Print Post  
They say timing is everything. We have all heard this line as well as others like Be in the right place at the right time, just in time, or right on time. But throwing your favorite top water is a little more than just timing its all about the cadence/rythym, etc.

Was on Chelan this morning about 5:30 am and just casted out my favorite top water. The lakes surface was like glass, calm and no one else on the water except me. I let it sit there for about 20 seconds when I started that timing deal I have been talking about. I twitched it about 4 times when all of a sudden the water exploded and the battle was on. Up came a 2-1/2 lb smallie trying to do its best to throw my plug. Afetr about 40 seconds or so the battle was over and I slipped her back in the lake.

I heard something to my right and saw a swirl out of the corner of my eye so I turned and chunked my plug in the direction of the swirl. I thought should I move my plug fast or slow. I decided to do the same thing as the first cast twitch my bait 4 times and stop. Well it was after the third twitch when the glassy water became turbulent again. I lifted a hefty 4lber to the boat. After about 40 casts and 9 good size smallies the sun came up and the bite vanished.

It was quite a good time for awhile, nail biting excitement to say the least.

As we all like to throw top water plugs this time of year I thought I would offer some advice on getting the most out of your top water dollars.

Plugs that I am speaking of include Pop R's,Chug Bugs, Spooks, etc. These plugs spit,splash, and chug as you pull them thru the water. The key to using these plugs effectively is learning how the fish want the bait abeit the cadence. Some guys use a twitch,twitch pause cadence, some use a 4 -6 twitch cadence and then pause, while others use the old throw it out and let it sit there for more than a minute and then move it cadence. The trick is to let the fish tell you how they want it. The first two choices are my favorite and have worked for both smallies and largies.

After my top water bite disappeared I switched to a grub and spanked 3, 5+ lb smallies this morning in about 22 feet of water. It was quite a blast as my best 6 casts in sequence procured me about 19 lbs.

If your looking for one of the premier smallie waters in the state I would highly recommend you spend some time on Lake Chelan in the coming months.

Good Luck,

Russ

IP Logged

bill44
Ex Member

Re: Top Water Baits
Reply #1 - 07/14/07 at 16:45:07
Quote Print Post  
Hey Russ,

Thanks for the info, I'm thinking about going over there later this summer in Aug.

Looking forward to some good fishing.

Bill

IP Logged

Bookmarks: del.icio.us Digg Facebook Google Google+ Linked in reddit StumbleUpon Twitter Yahoo