Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) Shallowest Jerk Bait? (Read 5122 times)
The_Rev.
Ex Member

Shallowest Jerk Bait?
07/07/07 at 00:47:29
Quote Print Post  
I love hard Jerkbaits and for the most part use Rapalas over the grass beds in the spring and early summer.  But when the grass beds start getting closer to the surface, any jerkbait that runs 3 to 4 feet deep is doomed.  Anyone got a brand name or model that suspends in only one or two feet?  Or am I wishin for the impossible?

IP Logged

marktfd88
Ex Member

Re: Shallowest Jerk Bait?
Reply #1 - 07/07/07 at 04:06:46
Quote Print Post  
Hey Rev,
  I have some that might do the trick.  It is made by Megabass, the model is the Twitchn-L in the small 70mm size.  Has the same action as the TD Minnow in a smaller size and goes down to 2-3 ft.  I can let you try one out if you like.

Mark

IP Logged

The_Rev.
Ex Member

Reply #2 - 07/07/07 at 05:54:54
Quote Print Post  
3 feet is too much - I want it just under the water if possible.  The weeds won't let me go 2-3 feet anymore.  I suspect I may have to go to soft plastic jerk baits to accomplish this.

IP Logged

marktfd88
Ex Member

Reply #3 - 07/08/07 at 00:35:44
Quote Print Post  
I went to their website, it says 18 - 24 inches.  Might depend on how high you hold the rod tip and how hard you jerk.  These baits don't take alot  to get them to dance.

Mark

IP Logged

Chris B.
WBC Member

Reply #4 - 07/08/07 at 19:41:23
Quote Print Post  
Maybe break out the Slug-Go again Chuck, or Zoom Super Fluke.  If its that shallow, I'd probably be working a top water, or weightless lizard perhaps.

Wishful Sponsors: BassCat Boats, Mercury Marine, Tackle Warehouse, Chevy Trucks, Chevron Gas, G-Loomis Rods, Shimano Reels.
IP Logged

Troy
Ex Member

Reply #5 - 07/08/07 at 22:42:03
Quote Print Post  
i think lucky craft has a jerkbait called the slashminnow that runs real shallow.

IP Logged

Chris B.
WBC Member

Reply #6 - 07/09/07 at 06:59:39
Quote Print Post  
I have a tray of slash minnows.  If you work them too fast they can get down to 2-3 feet also.

Wishful Sponsors: BassCat Boats, Mercury Marine, Tackle Warehouse, Chevy Trucks, Chevron Gas, G-Loomis Rods, Shimano Reels.
IP Logged

Nick_Barr
Ex Member

Reply #7 - 07/09/07 at 18:41:36
Quote Print Post  
I would say you would have to stick to a Mann Baby minus 1, though its not  a jerkbait. Or get creative and take an old jerkbait and clip the bill and sand it down ot make the bill smaller to get it to run less than a foot.

IP Logged

sarge
Ex Member

Reply #8 - 07/09/07 at 20:29:10
Quote Print Post  
I think the ol' Cordell Redfin might do the trick... I bet it doesn't run deeper than 2 feet. I like to throw the all gold color. It's got some good flash.

IP Logged

Terry
WBC Member

Reply #9 - 07/09/07 at 20:59:56
Quote Print Post  
Ahh, the Redfin.(sigh)  Brings back memories, doesn't it. Wink

Team A$$pocket!!"
Old Paid For Boat" pro staff

IP Logged

Troy
Ex Member

Reply #10 - 07/09/07 at 23:46:05
Quote Print Post  
hey rev just use 30lb mono  Wink

troy

IP Logged

basspro
Ex Member

Reply #11 - 07/11/07 at 04:41:02
Quote Print Post  
I figured a couple of guys would chime in with the Gold Red Fin. I have caught hundreds of nice largies on this bait and some smallies. 1-2 foot max depth on this bait. Great Potholes/Banks and Silver bait.

Russ

IP Logged

Bookmarks: del.icio.us Digg Facebook Google Google+ Linked in reddit StumbleUpon Twitter Yahoo