Normal Topic Braided line w/ fluorocarbon leader (Read 3642 times)
Wabasmstr
Ex Member

Braided line w/ fluorocarbon leader
03/25/07 at 21:19:07
Quote Print Post  
Has anyone tried this method on other than fishing it with a shakey head?  How about using it for skipping a senko under a dock?  I've heard of a couple different knots being used and how may it effect the skipping?  WIll it possiby hang up and take away from the skipping?  It should make the lline a little less visible (as the line goes anyway) Anyone have some input?

Chuck P

IP Logged

DR
Ex Member

Re: Braided line w/ fluorocarbon leader
Reply #1 - 03/27/07 at 18:15:35
Quote Print Post  
Chuck,

I realize you don't know me from Adam (not a member of WBC), but here's what I do and you can take it or leave it.....

Anymore on almost all of my rigs I fish braided line with a fluorocarbon leader.  I'm talking spinning and baitcasting.  The only exception would be for crankbaits, or topwaters (so far, and I'm still experimenting).  In general I can keep the same braided line on the reel for a season or more and then just make adjustments with my leader, going from 6# to 20# as needed.  I tie the lines together with back to back uni knots and will even put a dab of super glue on the knot with the heavier lines and shorter leaders.  Most leaders are 10-20 ft long so I don't have to retie them very often, but I can still retie at the hook as often as needed.  If I'm fishing a frog in and around some heavy veg. I can cut the leader off and tie straight to the braid.  If I want to downsize my line, I can do that by simply adjusting the leader.  In some cases (soft jerkbaits, trick worms) I'll use a swivel just to help combat line twist, in which case I'll use a 3-4' leader.
Braid gives me some handling characteristics (no memory, strength, durability) that I like, while fluoro gives me some others (sinking line, less visible, good abrasion resist.)  Match them together and you have the best of both worlds.  Works well everywhere I've tried it from Potholes to the Columbia.

IP Logged

Wabasmstr
Ex Member

Reply #2 - 03/28/07 at 01:54:31
Quote Print Post  
DR,  thanks for the reply.  I agree in theory it should be the ideal set up.  Have you used it for skipping under docks?  Have you had any problems with hang ups going through the eyes with the double uni knots?

It will give a great adjustable venue though and I think it will work.  Thanks for all of your input.

Chuck P

IP Logged

DR
Ex Member

Reply #3 - 03/28/07 at 12:53:28
Quote Print Post  
It will work fine for skipping as that is more about your technique and rod/lure choice.  The uni knots with 3-5 wraps on each one are very small and you may hear them go through the guides but they don't hang up on the guides. 
The only problems I have had are when I've used a small dia. braid (say 6lb dia.).  I have had the braid cut through the fluoro.  With the larger dia braid I haven't had that problem.

IP Logged

Wabasmstr
Ex Member

Reply #4 - 03/29/07 at 01:56:24
Quote Print Post  
Thanks for the reply.  Maybe you should also consider joining our club if you are in the area......It's a real great, fun, family club.....

Later,

Chuck

IP Logged

Bookmarks: del.icio.us Digg Facebook Google Google+ Linked in reddit StumbleUpon Twitter Yahoo