Normal Topic Spinning Rod Lining. (Read 3956 times)
Young_Bass15
Ex Member

Spinning Rod Lining.
05/11/06 at 04:13:44
Quote Print Post  
I have a Ugly Stik, with a Shimano Spinning reel on there, its good enough for flipping my plastics and casting my spinner baits at lake kapowsin where i fish.

But recently im having trouble lining my spinning reel just right, it seems that my 10lb ANDE fishing line keeps getting to sensitive and twisting up on me.

Is there a more better line to use for my spinning reel or a perfect way to line it on there?

Please share what you know Smiley

IP Logged

Rob M.
Ex Member

Re: Spinning Rod Lining.
Reply #1 - 05/11/06 at 14:41:59
Quote Print Post  
Use 8lb Ande a lot because it is very strong, but it does have a memory problem. Line twist seems to happen to me with all my spinning reels no matter what I put on them. The memory doesn't help though. I've done the whole, lay the spool down and if it twists, turn it over thing, and I still get line twist.

For memory, you can dip the spool in almost boiling water or tie the end to something and pull on it.

IP Logged

Bill Brynteson
Ex Member

Reply #2 - 05/11/06 at 15:01:14
Quote Print Post  
I do not happen to use Andre, but the line twist using a spinning reel is not uncommon with any line.  I usually get it when I have been using a particular spinning set up all day.  It seems to help if you open the bail and let out all of the line behind the boat and then reel it back up again.  Does not eliminate it completely but does help quite a bit, it seems to be the nature of using spinning reels for the most part.

BillB

IP Logged

Man_with_a_view
Ex Member

Reply #3 - 05/11/06 at 21:31:35
Quote Print Post  
The whole key is how you put the line on the reel. Make sure the line comes off the spool in the same direction that the reel takes it onto its spool. Reel it slowly. When the line starts to show a twist, and it will. Flip the spool over one full 360 degree turn and continue. As for putting your line in boiling water heat will kill monofiliment line and I would not do that. It will severly weaken your line. Another thing will help, once you spool on fresh line and get to the lake. Take your line with nothing tied onto it. Let it out behind the boat and drag it a short distance. Then reel it up under tension at a moderate retrive.  It is funny that you ask this because I just showed Russell Baker how to properly spool his spinning line. If you ask him he will tell you the way I described will make a difference. There is no way to totally avoid twist with a spinning reel though. The best you can do is minimize the amount. Over the course of use it will get some twist back in it no matter what you do. Have you tried a braided hi tech line like power pro. It twists way less than standard monofiliment does. It is more sensetive and casts much further. It is more expensive but it will last way longer and I think the costs balance out over time.

IP Logged

Young_Bass15
Ex Member

Reply #4 - 05/11/06 at 22:19:15
Quote Print Post  
Thank you for the tips, i do let my line out behind the boat after i get out on the lake too, it works sum but not alot after i make a couple casts  Undecided

IP Logged

Rich
Ex Member

Reply #5 - 05/12/06 at 00:51:21
Quote Print Post  
You might want to try some "Reel Magic" spray on your line.  Something I usually do is try to use a very small barrel swivel when I am using plastics T-rigged.  I usually use about a one foot leader.  I tried 10# Vanish but on my spinning reels it kept  whiffling off.  I tried everything but nothing helped.  But this way it allows me to use another brand of line and still use a leader of Vanish. 

Also, I never use anything over 10# line on my spinning reels.

Hhhmmm...I was always told to flip the spool over end for end when getting twist while filling spool, not 360 degrees.

Rich

IP Logged

The Weedwalker
WBC Member

Here fishy, fishy..........

Reply #6 - 05/12/06 at 02:23:17
Quote Print Post  
The best line as far as not twisting is 8# P-line Floriclear. It is on the high end side as far as cost goes, but you will definatly notice the difference. Mc Coy puts out a decent line also at a lesser price. I personally don't run more than 8# on a spinning reel, if you feel you need that much line strength, I would go to a bait caster or braided line. Keep in mind on how you rig your baits also, If it's not hooked straight or you reel it in real fast this can cause your bait to roll, thus causing line twist. Hope this helps, Brian (The Weedwalker)

Brian Walker (The Weedwalker)

IP Logged

Nick_Barr
Ex Member

Reply #7 - 05/12/06 at 03:22:35
Quote Print Post  
When I spool up I thread the line through all the guides and then I stick a Pencil through the spool, cinch it in between my feet, put a little bit of pressure on the spool from pushing into the floor a bit. Then just start reeling, it works great. but if you do get a twist, switch sides to where you are recieving the line from a different side of the spool (180 or 360 degrees)

I Also use McCoy Fishing Line, nothing over 8 like brian said. McCoy has EXTREMELY low memory because it already has a Silicon impregnation process in the line, which silicon or silicote or silicone as its called different names is an ingredient in "Reel Magic".

IP Logged

Bookmarks: del.icio.us Digg Facebook Google Google+ Linked in reddit StumbleUpon Twitter Yahoo