Normal Topic Shaking and Doodling (Read 3248 times)
marktfd88
Ex Member

Shaking and Doodling
11/09/05 at 15:48:31
Quote Print Post  
Well, Carlos and I had the great fun of doodling for bass on Sunday and the frostbite tourney.  What is doodling?  Back in the early days of Monster bass fishing in So Cal, Don Ivino fished deep ( 40ft + ) ... Underwater humps by taking a brass weight, glass bead, and plastic bait, dropping straight over the side of the boat.  Let the bait settle for a bit, then pick the bait off the bottom a couple of inches and then shake it like there is no tommorow for 3 to 5 seconds.  Then drop the bait back on the bottom for 3 to 5 secounds.  Repeat until you get hammered. 
  What made me think of this technique at the frostbite.  I had hung my jig on a rock and was shaking the crap out of the thing trying to get it off the rock.  Finally got the boat over the top of the jig and shook it off and as soon as it came off the rock. SLAM......  The interesting thing on Sunday was that there were two boats 50 yrds from us drop shotting and on Sunday we never seen them catch a fish.  I know there wasn't some  kind of magic barrier between us and them where there were no fish for them and fish for us.  I switched to a drop shot for a while just to check things out, 1/2 hr of effort no fish.  Switch back to jig, shaking, Bang, fish on.

Mark

IP Logged

Bill Brynteson
Ex Member

Re: Shaking and Doodling
Reply #1 - 11/09/05 at 20:24:27
Quote Print Post  
Excellent information Mark

Smalllies sometimes remind me of a cat, that ignores the toy until it begins to move and then the pounce on it.

Remember that day on Potholes when you were jerking the tube and then letting it settle for a bit then jerking it again and wham....smallie on.

BillB

IP Logged

Admin
Forum Administrator

I love YaBB!

Reply #2 - 11/09/05 at 20:50:14
Quote Print Post  
Hey HEY now!  This is a family club!

I don't what to hear anything about Mark "Jerking the tube", ya hear?!

IP Logged

RussBaker
Ex Member

Reply #3 - 11/09/05 at 21:16:40
Quote Print Post  
Mark,

Thats funny that you mention that because that is how Bob caught all his fish with a drop shot. I have been fishing this way for more than 30 years myself and found it works with grubs to.
Russ

IP Logged

Chad S.
Ex Member

Reply #4 - 11/10/05 at 14:49:12
Quote Print Post  
My dad and I also got hit numerous times when jerking our grubs off rocks. I caught my best smallie ever on that lake trying to break free a drop shot. We made the mistake of going south on sunday, and got completely soaked.

IP Logged

marktfd88
Ex Member

Reply #5 - 11/11/05 at 16:24:14
Quote Print Post  
Chad,
  Yeah, I really thought that with the tough waves and the south end getting no pressure, that would have been a real productive area with all the deep water humps, 3.5 hrs of no bites on Saturday proved me wrong.  On reflecting on the tourney, all of our biggest fish came out of 18 to 25 ft range for the tourney.  We caught alot of fish deeper than that but no size.  As for the doodling, I was really amazed by the two boats right by us on Sunday.  They watched us catch 15 fish right next to them and had to see what we were doing.  But would never change.  When I switched to the drop shot rig, I had a real short leader and tried to simulate the shaking thing, but for some reason the fish just didn't go......  The moral of the story is let the FISH tell you what they want not a preconcieved notion of what YOU think they want.

Mark

IP Logged

Bookmarks: del.icio.us Digg Facebook Google Google+ Linked in reddit StumbleUpon Twitter Yahoo