Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) Motor Guide 24v running 12v? (Read 8268 times)
StuK
WBC Member

Lund Boats

Motor Guide 24v running 12v?
05/07/06 at 03:40:32
Quote Print Post  
Guys, I need some advice.

My trolling motor blew a fuse last Sunday that melted the in-line fuse housing, and stopped working.

My brother in law and I checked all the wiring and found that the 24volt 84 lb thrust trolling motor was wired to just one battery at 12v with the ground on that same battery.

Since that didn't make any sense, we tried to set up the two batteries in sequence with and added a Max Fuse box (40 amp) and finally got 24 v running up front.

We even called two local dealers and they said that we should set it up at 24v.

Got it ready and plugged it in up front and damn near smoked the whole thing. There was literally smoke coming out of the front plug. But we pullled it in time and returned everything back to the 12v set up and the dang thing now works.

The motor clearly states 24 V, but there are only two 10 gauge wires coming from the trolling motor (one red and one black.) The 24 volt plug has a black, a red and an orange wire, but we only need to use one of the power wires.

There is clearly something we don't know.

Help!

Stu

LUND - The Ultimate Fishing Experience

IP Logged

RussBaker
Ex Member

Re: Motor Guide 24v running 12v?
Reply #1 - 05/07/06 at 03:50:14
Quote Print Post  
Stu,

Wish I could help but don't know squat about trolling motors. Ask Smitty,Hankinson, Helmick, or Holmes.
Russ

IP Logged

DUNE HOPPER
WBC Member

USMC Ret.  "Full Livewells,
I'll drink to that!"

Reply #2 - 05/08/06 at 14:23:22
Quote Print Post  
For starters you need to have 6 guage wire runinning from the batts to the front plug.  It takes wire that heavy to handle amperage generated by a 24 volt motor.

Smitty Wink

Retired From Everything but Feeshin and doing April's bidding

IP Logged

champ206
Forum Member

Reply #3 - 05/08/06 at 18:30:55
Quote Print Post  
Go to MotorGuide and look under rigring and shows how to rig.

IP Logged

JohnKTKim
Ex Member

Reply #4 - 05/08/06 at 18:34:06
Quote Print Post  
what Smitty said, and you need a 50 amp fuse

IP Logged

Rob M.
Ex Member

Reply #5 - 05/08/06 at 19:09:57
Quote Print Post  
Yeah it looks kind of weird running those three wires to 2 batteries Stu. Basically, you'll have a black one going from battery to the other and then 2 to one and one to the other battery or something like that. It's been awhile since I have done it but it will look something like that. I think one goes to one neg terminal, the two neg terminals of the batteries connect with the black cable then the orange and red go to the 2 positive terminals, one on each battery. Something like that......At least you'll you know what we are talking about when you see it.

IP Logged

StuK
WBC Member

Lund Boats

Reply #6 - 05/09/06 at 05:12:17
Quote Print Post  
The wire from the battery to the front is 8 gauge, then 10 from the plug to the motor.  I think I will re-wire with 6 if I end up going up to 24v, but right now it works with 12 v and the 8 gauge. I put in a 40 amp haevy duty fuse. I'd rather have the fuse pop too soon than take a chance on frying anything in the wires or the motor.

Thanks for the advice guys. I'll report back once I get chance to get with Motor Guide for info.

Stu

IP Logged

DUNE HOPPER
WBC Member

I'll drink to that!"

Reply #7 - 05/09/06 at 13:26:16
Quote Print Post  
Just a reminder Stu, that a 12 volt moter is less efficient and uses more battery reserve than a 24 volt.  Its not just a question of raw pulling power, but rather effective and efficient pulling power. Undecided

Smitty Wink

IP Logged

StuK
WBC Member

Lund Boats

Reply #8 - 05/10/06 at 05:10:46
Quote Print Post  
I can't figure out why Larry set it up at 12 volts on that boat. Would the motor run faster at 24 - too fast?

Stu

IP Logged

Chris B.
Ex Member

Reply #9 - 05/10/06 at 05:24:46
Quote Print Post  
Larry probably didn't have a choice with the 12V, his expert installation staff hooked it up that way most likely.  I think they messed up his fish finders too.  I think I heard people whispering about that before.

IP Logged

StuK
WBC Member

Lund Boats

Reply #10 - 05/10/06 at 06:12:22
Quote Print Post  
Yeah, they had a bunch of spots all over them, but I deleted all that clutter, so they are OK now. Roll Eyes

Stu

IP Logged

DUNE HOPPER
WBC Member

I'll drink to that!"

Reply #11 - 05/10/06 at 13:48:27
Quote Print Post  
No the "T" motor would not run too fast, especially if it is an infinite speed motor as opposed to 4 or 5 fixed speeds on the dial.  There is a widely held misconception that 2 12 volt batts wired parallel to produce 12 volts, will last longer than 2 wired in series to produce 24 volts. 
The fact is the reserve is measured in amps.  2 12 volt batteries wired to produce 12 volts will draw down the reserve amperage hours quicker, than the 24 volt system that uses less amps at 24 volts to produce the same amount of thrust.  The less amperage used, the longer the batteries will last under a given load until they are fully discharged.  The same rule holds true for a 36 volt system vs a 24. 

All of these facts hold up provided the batteries being used are equal to each other at the start.  That is the same battery type with the same relative age and usage,  and charged to the same level.

So ends today's lesson in boat battery care 101.  Hold your appaulse, but pass the collection plate. Grin

Smitty Wink

IP Logged

Wabasmstr
Ex Member

Reply #12 - 05/11/06 at 03:09:38
Quote Print Post  
Dang Professor Smitty...I'm impressed.  Thanks for the class...Sorry funding cut short this semester due to lack of Govt support.  IOU

CP

IP Logged

EX-PREZ
WBC Member

"I'd like to thank my
sponsors for helping
me out"

Reply #13 - 05/11/06 at 04:11:04
Quote Print Post  
Stu,
  You need to disregard the orange wire.  Mine isn't hooked up either.  To create 24 volts, you connect the red lead to a positive terminal of one battery, the negative of that battery goes to the positive of battery 2.  The negative of battery 2 goes to the black wire of your trolling motor and WAALAH, 24 volt wired correctly.  BTW, I'd pull the fuse until you get all this worked out.  This scenario is how guys end up with battery acid all over them.  Call me with questions.  I'll help any way I can.  Good luck

SPONSORS:&&MY BEAUTIFUL WIFE!&&1st pick at the raffle (when we have a raffle)&&TEAM NO BOAT PAYMENT/ NO TRUCK PAYMENT&&AQUA VU CAMERAS (borrowed from Terry, scratch that, he took it back)&&STRATOS boats (pre-owned division)&&YAMAHA (came with the STRATOS boat)

IP Logged

EX-PREZ
WBC Member

"I'd like to thank my
sponsors for helping
me out"

Reply #14 - 05/11/06 at 04:18:44
Quote Print Post  
Stu,
  One more thing.  Make sure that your boat doesn't have a switch that creates 12/24 volt.  If that were in the wrong position when you hooked it up, not sure what would happen.  Maybe smoke!

SPONSORS:&&MY BEAUTIFUL WIFE!&&1st pick at the raffle (when we have a raffle)&&TEAM NO BOAT PAYMENT/ NO TRUCK PAYMENT&&AQUA VU CAMERAS (borrowed from Terry, scratch that, he took it back)&&STRATOS boats (pre-owned division)&&YAMAHA (came with the STRATOS boat)

IP Logged

Bookmarks: del.icio.us Digg Facebook Google Google+ Linked in reddit StumbleUpon Twitter Yahoo