Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) Braided Line (Read 4179 times)
gotfive
Ex Member

Braided Line
02/01/06 at 06:33:50
Quote Print Post  
Hey guys,
Does anybody out there use braided lines for flipping?  I was watching a show this weekend and a fellow was using 85 lb spiderwire.  Would you consider something this?  If not, why?  I have been using 25lb Big Game and it seems to work pretty well for me, but I think I miss strikes.  Would like a little more sensitivity.
Kirk

IP Logged

Doug_Booth
Ex Member

Re: Braided Line
Reply #1 - 02/01/06 at 06:46:20
Quote Print Post  
I do.  I have 50 lb Pro Power on my Morrum.  Although I only flip at Silver and Potholes it seems to do alright by me.

IP Logged

DUNE HOPPER
WBC Member

USMC Ret.  "Full Livewells,
I'll drink to that!"

Reply #2 - 02/01/06 at 14:45:38
Quote Print Post  
I use 50 lb Stren braid for "flippin & pitchin" at Clear Lake and Silver.  It's color is less visible than some of the competitors and it takes forever to fade to white.  The sensitivity feature is a bonus.  The fact that the line can cut through the vegetation like a band-saw is what I really like.  I have been tinkering with the idea of using a heavy (40 lb +) fluorocarbon for the same reasons, plus the invisibility factor in clear water lakes like the Potholes.

Smitty
Wink

Retired From Everything but Feeshin and doing April's bidding

IP Logged

hawghunter_2017
WBC Member

Reply #3 - 02/01/06 at 15:40:28
Quote Print Post  
I as well use 50lb Power Pro. I like it for the no stretch affect, sensitivity, and the toughness, along with Smittys comment is does cut vegetatioin real well..

Ted

Ted

IP Logged

Rob M.
Ex Member

Reply #4 - 02/01/06 at 18:46:58
Quote Print Post  
I used it this Spring in Silver Lake and had the worse luck with it for flipping. I was using 30 lb and maybe that wasn't strong enough?? I don't trust the knots with braided lines. They take a lot of "snap" when making a hard hookset which is common when flipping.

I prefer 20-25 lb mono. It is strong and gives just enough stretch for a "shock-absorber". I also think it is smoother to flip. I haven't broke a single fish off with it and the diameter didn't spook shallow fish at Potholes this Spring.  

Might be different scenario if I were flipping heavy weed mats in Florida or something for 10+ bass, but don't see the need here. I just really don't trust the knots. I have had or heard of the failing when you make hook sets...

Kirk....if it ain't broke, don't fix it...

IP Logged

basspro
Ex Member

Reply #5 - 02/01/06 at 19:55:58
Quote Print Post  
I was using 65lb Power Pro last year and its great for grass and vegetation, but sucks for Potholes. It was why I lost that event. Had found plenty of bites to weigh 20lbs a day easy but when you hook a fish in the thick stuff (wood) and the fish buries down it and wraps you up you just can't get them out because the line bites into the wood. I am going back to 15-20 lb flourocarbon or Maxima for all my flipping.

Ask Payseno he will testify to the same issues as I have with braid. Love the sensity and no stretch but hate that grip it has on wood. Never wrap around your finger, because you will lose it.
Russ

IP Logged

Pays2no
Ex Member

Reply #6 - 02/01/06 at 23:50:57
Quote Print Post  
I definitely agree with Russ on this one.  I think Braid is awesome in Lillypads or heavy weeds but becomes more of a detriment in heavy wood.  I witnessed time after time during last year's Potholes club tournament where either Russ or myself would put a good intitial hookset on some really big fish to only see them get off because the braid dug in on the wood- Physics was being used against us.

Mono doesn't dig in like Braid does.  If you get a fish stuck in the wood and keep the consistent pressure on....it will eventually pull free.

IP Logged

Weedwalker
Ex Member

Reply #7 - 02/02/06 at 01:02:03
Quote Print Post  
This is going to sound like an echo, but in vegitation it's great, but around rocks and wood it's better off being left at home.  Since I put 15lb. P-line on my flipping stick I haven't broke of a single fish, now underwater logs, thats a different story..... Roll Eyes

IP Logged

Troy
Ex Member

Reply #8 - 02/02/06 at 03:13:53
Quote Print Post  
i use 30lb super braid on my flipping stick and love the stuff.  i also put some 8lb on one of my spinning rods this winter to get a better feel in cold deep winter water.  i have not had the wood hooking problem but have only been using it for one full season.  if you fish pads for me there is nothing better than braid.

IP Logged

gotfive
Ex Member

Reply #9 - 02/02/06 at 03:42:32
Quote Print Post  
I will probably stay with the Big Game, although I may give some sort of braided line a try.  Hmmm......

IP Logged

jwerner
Ex Member

Reply #10 - 02/10/06 at 20:36:44
Quote Print Post  
I use Fireline for most of  my tube,grub and Senko fishing.  Great durability.  Excellent sensitivity.  The only drawback is knot strength.  I have though watched bass shy away when in clear water.  I have downsized the test/diameter and gone after the same fish with good results.

IP Logged

Bookmarks: del.icio.us Digg Facebook Google Google+ Linked in reddit StumbleUpon Twitter Yahoo