Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 3  ReplyAdd Poll Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) New Boat Question??? (Read 9380 times)
RussBaker
Ex Member

New Boat Question???
11/28/05 at 04:07:49
Quote Print Post  
To All,

If money was no object what boat would you buy and why? Of these 4 brands Ranger,Champion,Skeeter, or Stratos which one would you buy?
Russ

IP Logged

Chris B
Ex Member

Re: New Boat Question???
Reply #1 - 11/28/05 at 04:22:22
Quote Print Post  
Wheres Stroker and Basscat?  Tongue

I'd pick Stratos because Wolsky's boat is one sweet ride.

IP Logged

Troy
Ex Member

Reply #2 - 11/28/05 at 06:18:24
Quote Print Post  
i would take a ranger z commanche. followed closely by wolskys stratos

IP Logged

Pays2no
Ex Member

Reply #3 - 11/28/05 at 15:00:56
Quote Print Post  
"Ride and Decide" - Champion's slogan---Tell everyone why a Champion is the best boat out there Russ...Oh does Banks Lank come to mind at the Frostbite?  How did it handle those 5-6 foot rollers?  What did you say.....Speak up....did you say you didn't even get wet?  That's what I thought you said.  Champion Boats are the smoothest ride out there, whether your in a boat like mine or a 196 or 206, you won't go back to anything else. 

That's my small denomination of input.

Bob

IP Logged

Rob M.
Ex Member

Reply #4 - 11/28/05 at 16:11:15
Quote Print Post  
I'd probably take a Skeeter ZX 250 or (300 hp just to challenge that other 300 hp in the club.)

It's been awhile since I have rode in a Ranger but they are nice. Champions are great too, and the 2 Stratos boats I have rode in have been sweet. Tough call.

I already have Skeeter gear so would probably stick with a Skeeter. Great boats too! Yamaha HPDI motor and Minn Kota trolling motor. Lowrance Electronics.

IP Logged

gotfive
Ex Member

Reply #5 - 11/28/05 at 16:55:06
Quote Print Post  
I am in with Rob.  What can I say, I am a bug man.  Does everything I ask it to, handles big, rough water, flies on the flat stuff, and really handles like a sports car.  Not bad for a 20+ foot boat.

IP Logged

RussBaker
Ex Member

Reply #6 - 11/28/05 at 18:05:25
Quote Print Post  
Thanks guys for the input. Yes Bob is right, Champion is one hell of a ride. Looking seriously though at both the Champion and the Stratos in 198,206 or  Stratos 201 Pro XL.

Thanks again,
Russ

IP Logged

champ206
Forum Member

Reply #7 - 11/28/05 at 18:38:36
Quote Print Post  
A Stroker would be nice with a 300HP and to hit the triple digit marker. Still looks like a very fishable boat.

IP Logged

RussBaker
Ex Member

Reply #8 - 11/28/05 at 20:32:13
Quote Print Post  
John,

I don't plan on adding wings to a new boat that goes triple digits. Now that would be scary. Shocked Shocked
Russ

IP Logged

Admin
Forum Administrator

I love YaBB!

Reply #9 - 11/28/05 at 20:47:46
Quote Print Post  
They're all good boats. But just look at how they're built.  Really, we checked out all the major brands, and they're all very comparible until you look at how a Ranger is built vs. the others. 

Ranger is the best built boat out there (http://www.rangerboats.com/pages/tradition/sign.cfm) ; backed by the industry's strongest warranty.  Period.  Their customer service is the best - and I'm a very tough customer (several JD Powers awards agree).  It's that service that you'll be dealing with after the purchase.

My 520 Commanche has a very sweet, smooth, dry ride.  Plenty of storage - more than comparable boats of the same size.  As for speed, Lyle and I are dead even (he passed me on the Columbia, but when I trimmed up I paced him). 

And the thing handles!  I nearly threw myself overboard a few times when I first got it - it digs and TURNS!  No sliding here.  That took awhile for me to get used to. 

Look at the trailers too.  Ranger builds their own trailers - not assembles them from parts they buy.  They manufacture all their parts and build the trailers at the plant, thus maintaining close watch over quality. No other boat manufacturer does that.

Also, pay particular attention to accessibility - from fuses to bilge pumps to the dreaded "trolling motor compartment" up front, some boats shine where others fall short.  Some are "stupid easy" while others are just stupid. I think you'll find the Ranger engineers have really put in some OT figuring out these details so that it's easy to maintain your boat.  You won't need a 3rd elbow to get to things!

I can tell you more, but my advice is to go out, compare and drive them.  What's important to me, may not be to you, and vice-versa.  So ultimately you need to do some legwork.

IP Logged

Rob M.
Ex Member

Reply #10 - 11/28/05 at 20:54:07
Quote Print Post  
I bet you money is somewhat of an object though huh Russ, it always is??

Skeeter has a greatly built, strong hull also. They are the only boat I have seen where they have suspended the whole boat only by the engine bolts in the transom.

Tough call. All nice boats. I guess you aren't even considering a Triton. Skeeter has a shop in the area where you can have servicing done without going east of the mountains. Something to consider.

IP Logged

RussBaker
Ex Member

Reply #11 - 11/28/05 at 21:16:00
Quote Print Post  
Rob,

Your right. Wish I did have the cash to get the Z-Commanche, but lookin seriously at the Champion and the Stratos. Gave it some thought about the new 20I-I-class from Skeeter. I believe they actually have the best transom out there, speed is comparable to Stratos and ride well thats another story. I guess it is a tough choice since they are all good boats.

As Glen stated I allways have looked at the entire package-fit,finish,accesability to components,trailer,ride,speed. Its a hard one to figure out. I will be checking them all out next year.
Russ

IP Logged

Troy
Ex Member

Reply #12 - 11/29/05 at 00:27:40
Quote Print Post  
what about triton x-series?  they look like a good boat.

IP Logged

RussBaker
Ex Member

Reply #13 - 11/29/05 at 00:55:43
Quote Print Post  
Troy,

Transom issues and too much money is why I don't look at the Triton.
Russ

IP Logged

Chris B
Ex Member

Reply #14 - 11/29/05 at 03:29:19
Quote Print Post  
Everything Glenn said is true about BassCat also, but i don't want to get into a pissing match.  We also stole your JD award for 05 but that don't mean anything. Tongue

Champ206, I saw a new Stroker out on Sammamish this year and that boat was by far the nicest looking I have ever seen.  It had the 280 merc, and just listening to it was beautiful.  I'd definetly give those a look if I had the money, 21 foot hull that weighs the same as my 18 foot.  Sacrifice some rough water ride, but I'm young, I can take the beating.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 3 
ReplyAdd Poll Send TopicPrint
Bookmarks: del.icio.us Digg Facebook Google Google+ Linked in reddit StumbleUpon Twitter Yahoo