Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) J&J - What to wear in the heat? (Read 4366 times)
StuK
WBC Member

Lund Boats

J&J - What to wear in the heat?
07/24/05 at 00:23:38
Quote Print Post  
I need your help, folks.

I am concerned about what Samantha and I should wear if the temps are in the 90's or near 100 next weekend. I don't want either of us to overheat.

When I have fished in E WA, it hasn't been any warmer than the upper 70's. I bought a Columbia brand long sleeve shirt last week that is really thin nylon, vented with 15 UVP, but I am worried that it might be too hot to wear it.

Will t-shirts work, or do you wear a light, loose cotton shirt, etc?

Also, what other ways do you all stay cool on these lake in the really high heat?

Thanks,
Stu

LUND - The Ultimate Fishing Experience

IP Logged

Troy
Ex Member

Re: J&J - What to wear in the heat?
Reply #1 - 07/24/05 at 01:33:26
Quote Print Post  
that breathable fishing shirt that you bought is what i use.  all the vents on them keep the air circulating.

IP Logged

S._Basser
Ex Member

Reply #2 - 07/24/05 at 02:59:20
Quote Print Post  
I've read that a typical white shirt is no more than 8spf, but I've never been burnt (or tanned) through any kind of shirt. I typically wear a light colored cotton t-shirt with a light colored cotton long sleeved shirt over...or a long sleeved light colored cotton T. Dark clothes are bad news. A towel to wet and wrap around your neck is great...a kitchen towel is about the right size, hand towel ok, bath towel too big. A safety pin might be useful. A hat that you can dip in the water (or ice chest) is also very good. A lot of excess body heat goes out through the head, so wear an appropriate hat. Floppy brimmed straw is my favorite.

Provide for AT LEAST one gallon of Gator Aid per person for each day. Water and potassium carbonate tablets are also good. Most "salt tablets" have potassium in them, but may also have sodium salt, which may cause problems. It didn't use to bother me, but now, I can feel it. My feet swell up more than normal. Avoid caffine drinks, and after hitting the beach, avoid alcohol. Both are diuretics, remove water from your system. You don't need that, for the weekend.

The Jills may resist drinking enough fluids, due to the toilet issue. I understand Roosevelt has floating Sani-Cans now, so be willing to stop and let them use them. We had one of the wives dragged off to the hospital due to heat fatigue at the J&J in Y2K...they are not used to the heat, the long hours in the boat, or the effects of heat induced illness. It's serious, and it's pretty scary. Gator Aid (etc) is the best solution!

Chapstick with SPF rating is worthwhile. Hand cream for evenings and after T. My hands are dry, cracked, and bleeding after a week over there.

Sunscreen: "Bullfrog" sunscreen is awesome, and waterproof. Major improvement over the usual stuff, which is barely worth applying. Apply sunscreen before launching. Rub it in well, and blot off the excess. It doesn't work instantly.

EYE DROPS: I have had some problems with (apparently) sweat running down into my eyes, even in the air conditioned truck, driving home. Some good eye drops might just help this, but I haven't tried it...yet.

Sunburn & Hypothermia: After getting too much sun, it's very easy to get hypothermia on a cool evening or morning. Why? Your blood has rushed to the skin, to aid the healing process. Solution is to avoid being burned, but also have something warm to put on, if you need it. Aloe Vera Gel is great for sunburn. At least one brand has benzocaine in it for pain relief. Usually one application will stop the discomfort.
C&R, Steve

IP Logged

REDCHAMP
Ex Member

Reply #3 - 07/24/05 at 09:35:08
Quote Print Post  
Don't worry about your clothes and just have fun. It's like any other day in the sun. Put on some sun screen and make the best of it. If ya get to hot, jump in. Pretty simple I'd say.
Mark

IP Logged

RussBaker
Ex Member

Reply #4 - 07/25/05 at 02:18:12
Quote Print Post  
Stu,

The above two answers is what Debbie and I do. Drink more water or gatorade than normal, oversatureated is better than under. A long sleeve shirt is what I wear as I get it wet often by dunking my cap in the water over my head. You will no things are awry when you start sweating profusely and get light headed if you don't do the above. And yea jump in the water if you have to to get cooled off. When i fished Shasta two years ago for a family outing it was 118 and drinking 2 gallons a water was a prerequisite to staying cool.
Russ

IP Logged

Larry S.
Ex Member

Reply #5 - 07/25/05 at 03:04:00
Quote Print Post  
Also Stu and others....Gatorade might get some of the folks who do not drink it regularly nauseous so to avoid this.....
1). Pre-load: drink lots of fluids....water electrolyte replacements days prior to event.
2). For those not used to Gatorade start on Pedialyte in the baby food section...not as sweet but has basic electrolytes.
3). Watch Caffiene intake......nuff said.
4). Watch Alcohol intake.....$%T^*H said
5). Re-Load: Getting Water on board at the end of the event will prevent you from getting too tired to get home.
And do'nt forget to tell someone the moment you feel ill as the symptoms can be dramatically accelerated with conditions.
See ya out there!

IP Logged

StuK
WBC Member

Lund Boats

Reply #6 - 07/25/05 at 04:51:33
Quote Print Post  
Thank you all for the advice. We will make sure we are prepared.

Thanks!
Stu

IP Logged

Rob M.
Ex Member

Reply #7 - 07/25/05 at 14:58:24
Quote Print Post  
Stu I always take at least one of the gallon jugs of water on the boat. I myself stick to water mostly with a smaller Gatorade mixed in now and then. The hat in the water works wonders. So does dipping your t-shirt. I heard this may keep your skin from sweating naturally or something, but I do it all the time. make sure you hit every spot with sunscreen if you're fair-skinned especially your feet if you wear sandles.

But it's not like your on Mars or something. You have had the same heat over here before I'm sure. The only difference is you'll be in it for 8 hours. I don't recognize it as bad when fishing. Wolsky and I were there all weekend this past weekend and the wind keeps you cool if it's blowing. It's sunburning that you have to watch. I drank a gallon a day and a six pack and was fine. The more coffee or beer you drink, the more water I follow it with. You'll be fine. Jump in if you have to. Weather was about 85 at the most. It won't be that bad.

IP Logged

Got two Half Bags
Ex Member

Reply #8 - 07/25/05 at 18:36:14
Quote Print Post  
Rob

I didn't see your post on eastern washington lakes(Lake Roosevelt) or in the reports section. Are you trying to hold out on us? That goes for Wolsky too. I never thought I would see the day that you would hold out on a nice family compition. I hope you feel ashamed.
You homewrecker.

Your beloved "brother from another mother"

Daryl

IP Logged

RussBaker
Ex Member

Reply #9 - 07/25/05 at 19:06:03
Quote Print Post  
Yea Rob,

Whats up with that!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Russ

IP Logged

Rob M.
Ex Member

Reply #10 - 07/25/05 at 21:21:34
Quote Print Post  
I posted it in the other Jack in Jill post when I got a chance you scabs. Like there's a big secret or something.... Grin  Everyone will catch a million dinks and probably walleye. Throw anything on a dropshot or carolina rig like everyone does anyway in 10-25 feet and fish on. My biggest was only like a pound and a half. Mike had some in the 2 pound range. Luck of the draw who gets on the bigger fish.

We lost an hour and a half on Saturday towing a family in their Faz look-a-like Nitro from the far tip of the Sanpoil to Kettle Ferry. Got lunch and a good nap in.

IP Logged

Mike_W
Ex Member

Reply #11 - 07/26/05 at 02:21:10
Quote Print Post  
Stu,

Stop worrying. It is not that bed. White t shirt and shorts. Load up on sunscreen thru out day. Period.

Drink when your thirsty.

Eat when your hungry.

And tinkle when you have to tinkle.

Mike

IP Logged

StuK
WBC Member

Lund Boats

Reply #12 - 07/26/05 at 02:56:17
Quote Print Post  
OK, Mike, but if you feel the lake rise a couple of inches all of a sudden, that's me doing a commando cannonball off the front of the boat. Pray you are up the Sanpoil when I'm dippin'.

Thanks, again, all.

Stu

IP Logged

Rich
Ex Member

Reply #13 - 07/26/05 at 15:13:32
Quote Print Post  
Great shot of you belly diving, Stu.  Must have been when you were younger and less weight.

Rich

IP Logged

Bookmarks: del.icio.us Digg Facebook Google Google+ Linked in reddit StumbleUpon Twitter Yahoo