Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) Help with dropshotting (Read 9535 times)
Rob M.
Ex Member

Re: Help with dropshotting
Reply #15 - 06/30/05 at 02:37:03
Quote Print Post  
The difference is simply the fact that you can still shake a dropshotted worm in place even if the leader is shorter. You can't do this with a splitshot because it moves the weight and pulls the bait away from the spot. A subtle difference but it will make a difference especially if your dragging over deep bedded fish. Instead of moving the bait out of the bed, you are able to shake it right in it.

Does this help?

IP Logged

Nick
Ex Member

Reply #16 - 06/30/05 at 02:41:02
Quote Print Post  
It's all in the action of the bait. Since you have leader above the hook you loose sensitivity. Take a drop shot and put it in a pool ot something you can see the bait in. Plus at times the fish are only six inches off the bottom. I use any where from about and 18" leader to about a 3" inch leader. I use shorter leaders for shallow water and when I'm fishing for Largemouths. When targeting largies I use a 6" or less leader. This is just what I focus on. I beeginning to get the drop shot bite down. It turning into my go to bait when the times get tough.

IP Logged

marktfd88
Ex Member

Reply #17 - 06/30/05 at 14:35:52
Quote Print Post  
Rob and Says,
  There is a huge difference in the way a plastic reacts split shotting vs drop shotting.  And trust me, leader length on both rigs can make a BIG difference.  Twice last year, I had the humbling experience of being out fished by guys who's drop shot leader length was different than mine.  Same bait, same water, same technique, vastly different results....
  The biggest difference for me in drop shotting vs split shotting is how I want to move the bait.  I split shot / carolina rig when I want to cover more water and not certain where exactly the fish are holding.  The bait swims more with split shot / carolina rig.  Looks more like a small bait fish swimming along the bottom.  Drop shotting for me is more of a target bait.  I know where the fish are holding and I want my bait to go right there.  Also the bait looks more like a dying bait fish.  It will jump up off the bottom and slow sink straight back down.  It will jump up off the bottom much more vertically than split shotting.  Each has it's place and can be deadly.  Most of the time switching back and forth will produce an extra fish or two from a given area.  Not all fish will react to a single presentation.  Changing the presentation or bait / color can get that extra fish or two from the area.

My .04 cents worth

Mark

IP Logged

Rob M.
Ex Member

Reply #18 - 06/30/05 at 14:52:57
Quote Print Post  
Exactly Mark....Man you should have your own show!

IP Logged

marktfd88
Ex Member

Reply #19 - 07/01/05 at 16:55:48
Quote Print Post  
I do have my own show.  It's called how to finish in the top 20 at your local bass club tourney.  It's then followed by a weekly special, how to let those around you out fish you while working the same area's.  A new one is in the works though.  Called "How to get two really small bags" for serious tournement fishermen.

Mark

IP Logged

Carlos
Ex Member

Reply #20 - 07/01/05 at 18:01:37
Quote Print Post  
Hey Mark I think I may have seen a few of those shows.  Wink

IP Logged

Rob M.
Ex Member

Reply #21 - 07/01/05 at 18:07:35
Quote Print Post  
AAHHHHH!!!!!! That was funny MarK Grin I am cracking up!!

There are a few I have made, one is "How to lose #5 at the boat and lose a tournament" or "The art of losing your boat down the interstate at 60 mph" Thats a crowd favorite. Or the one "How to kick several rods over your boat at Once"
« Last Edit: 07/05/05 at 13:56:34 by »  

IP Logged

Admin
Forum Administrator

I love YaBB!

Reply #22 - 07/02/05 at 01:27:10
Quote Print Post  
My personal favorites (in random order) are:

• How to dry-dock your boat at Silver lake
  • How to use your lower unit as a depthfinder on the Snake river
  • How to pop the rivets and split your hull on your aluminum boat (a personal favorite)

And don't forget, coming soon to a late night cable station near you, a show I'm working on, "How to spend tons of money on fishing gear, nice truck and boat, and still not catch fish!"  Shocked

IP Logged

Y2SAYS
Ex Member

Reply #23 - 07/04/05 at 08:16:20
Quote Print Post  
I like the last one Glenn. Grin

IP Logged

T_Dot
Ex Member

Reply #24 - 03/10/06 at 03:22:42
Quote Print Post  
Quote:
Y2...you might want to drop down in the size of your baits, also.  Try some of the smaller worms such as the 3" Roboworms, sculpin, etc.  I believe that Angler's Choice had a big table of different hand made small baits that were excellent drop shot baits.

Rich

other people also suggested 3" is the maximum they use for drop shot fishing

IP Logged

RussBaker
Ex Member

Reply #25 - 03/12/06 at 00:51:12
Quote Print Post  
T-Dot,

You can drop shot any size bait. Heck I have caught fish drop shotting 6" worms. Its the action that you impart in your bait that matters to the fish.
Russ

IP Logged

Bookmarks: del.icio.us Digg Facebook Google Google+ Linked in reddit StumbleUpon Twitter Yahoo