Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) Help with dropshotting (Read 9503 times)
Y2SAYS
Ex Member

Help with dropshotting
06/29/05 at 03:27:59
Quote Print Post  
With the temps rising and the fish going deeper, I would like to figure out how to dropshot.  I've caught, let's see...1, 2, 3 fish on a dropshot with a 12" LM being the biggest.  I can't seem to figure out how to get the smallies to hit my lure.  I'm using a 6'6" spinning rod with 8lb flourcarbon with my hook 12-18" above my weight.  I've been using kut-tails, 5" grubs, 4" lizards, senkos, and roboworms without any success.  Are you guys dragging it, then stopping and shake your bait?  Are you hopping it?  I've tried everything and nothing has worked. 

Says

IP Logged

dgarrett
Ex Member

Re: Help with dropshotting
Reply #1 - 06/29/05 at 03:54:30
Quote Print Post  
Says,

Since I've only been intense about bass fishing for a few years, I just recently discovered how effective dropshotting can be. I hated it at first, until I started catching fish. Just wait until you know you're on fish, catching them on other baits, and then pull out the dropshot and start experimenting. I tried tons of baits and retrieves, and finally settled with robo worms and tiny brish hogs for the most part, just twitching the slack in my line, and slowly dragging the weight back in between twitches. That said, I've seen guys catch them by swimming grubs, or just putting on a finesse worm and deadsticking the thing. It doesn't take much boat movement, or current to make a small finesse worm come alive, especially one that floats like a robo worm. I'm sure there are a thousand other suggestions out there, but I would just find the fish first and then start finding what techniques you are successful with.

Danny

IP Logged

Troy
Ex Member

Reply #2 - 06/29/05 at 03:57:17
Quote Print Post  
i like to fish mine like a texas-rig.  more of a horizontal presentation. when it hits the bottom i shake it while moving it slowly closer then let the bait fall and repeat all the way to the boat.  althought there are times when you must shake the bait in one place for long periods of time.

IP Logged

marktfd88
Ex Member

Reply #3 - 06/29/05 at 14:39:26
Quote Print Post  
My biggest mistake early on in fishing the dropshot was over  working the lure.  It generally takes a very slow and subtle presentation to get the strike.  Also try moving the bait closer to the weight.

mark

IP Logged

RussBaker
Ex Member

Reply #4 - 06/29/05 at 14:55:30
Quote Print Post  
Says,

When you are throwing this rig, when you feel a piece of structure, stop the bait from moving horizontaly then shake it a little, hold your rod at a 10-11 am position then hang on they will thump it if there is fish in the area. Just caught 50-60 12-14" fish like this at Roosevelt last weekend.
Russ

IP Logged

Rich
Ex Member

Reply #5 - 06/29/05 at 15:01:06
Quote Print Post  
Y2...you might want to drop down in the size of your baits, also.  Try some of the smaller worms such as the 3" Roboworms, sculpin, etc.  I believe that Angler's Choice had a big table of different hand made small baits that were excellent drop shot baits.

Rich

IP Logged

Sarge
Ex Member

Reply #6 - 06/29/05 at 15:47:12
Quote Print Post  
I'm in agreement with others above, Says. Make your presentation more of a horizontal one than vertical, and don't overwork your lure. Often, a slow drag is best.

Chris

IP Logged

Chris B
Ex Member

Reply #7 - 06/29/05 at 15:54:25
Quote Print Post  
I like a slow drag as well.  I try to keep the weight on the bottom kinda like dragging a football head jig.  After the twitch, usually the little guys will have your line bouncing like crazy, the bigger fish you will see something weird.  Set the hook.  As far as a light sweep set Roll Eyes, ya right, hook her hard.

IP Logged

Rob M.
Ex Member

Reply #8 - 06/29/05 at 16:36:08
Quote Print Post  
All this is good but your problam is probably location more than anything. You can have the right bait, work it like a champ, but if the fish aren't there you're waisting your time.

I am a firm believer that if the fish are there, they will bite several offerings. There are exceptions when one thing seems to be the only thing, but on average location is the key.

Where are you fishing? What lakes and what areas of those lakes. Look at a good map of say Lake Washington. Look at the subtle details. The things under water. Pick several areas that have the same thing and try those. Then pick another structure and try several more areas. Then apply what was said above. I don't want to give yo too much info. It will take the fun away from trying and experimenting. Think of what attracts smallies to the deeper water and what they will hold on. 

You can't go wrong with 4" lizards and Roboworms. There are also other techniques for deep water other than dropshotting. If it isn't your thing do something else to catch fish. Try split-shotting or carolina rigging. I personally have the same problem with carolina rigging as you seem to be having with dropshotting. I count the dinks I have caught on one hand, so I don't or rarely use it.

IP Logged

Carlos
Ex Member

Reply #9 - 06/29/05 at 20:45:44
Quote Print Post  
I'm new with dropshotting myself this year being the first year of experience for me. I have found it to be very productive. I've had success with Robo worms, sniper bolts, and lizards. I've even caught nice smallies at Washington with the D.S. Creature that Reaction Innovations makes, it's a jig. My biggest are 2.9 Riffe and a few 3's at Washington and Sammamish. But I've seen Rob catch a
5 pounder
at the Potholes.

As far as gear I prefer lite line 6 pound test, I've even heard of 4# being used. With a nice sensitive but stiff rod, I have an Ordella dropshot rod (money well spent). I use a 12 inch or shorter leader. Presentation of choice is  vertical lifting or shaking of the bait,only as far as my leader length though. But dragging your dropshot works great as I found out last weekend at Riffe. Patience is key as with all new things you try.

My .02 cents

IP Logged

Bill Brynteson
Ex Member

Reply #10 - 06/29/05 at 22:39:27
Quote Print Post  
Drop shotting....

Love it, absolutely love it....my technique of choice for fishing Lake Washington.

Vertical, mid-horizontal, twitched back to the boat, pitched shallow, you name i, I use it. 

Robo Worms, cuttails, and green pumpkin baby brushhogs all year long.  I have found smaller is usually better when things are slow.  Also try to keep in mind what the fish may be keying on for the time of year for size and color.

6' 6" PT Tour Edition Quantum Rod and Reel combo with 6# P-Line Flourcarbon and Gamakatsu dropshot hooks size 6 with Tungsten weights (to help feel the structure).

Presentation....SLOW....occassionally will shake it, but usually just leave a little slack and let the bait do as it will. After a bit will drag it about two feet and start over.  Have caught fish directly under the boat as well as on  long casts.

Very little hook set on a bite, just tighten and reel.  Almost exclusively hook the fish in the top of the mouth.  With the sensitivity of the rigging, very rarely deep hook fish. 

This approach has proven to me to be very productive with my largest to date 5# and a bunch between 4 & 5.

As you can see everyone has their own technique for Dropshotting, but all are similar.  Just work with it and you will find the style that fits you.

Drop Shotting....Love it!   Grin

BillB

IP Logged

dgarrett
Ex Member

Reply #11 - 06/29/05 at 23:22:34
Quote Print Post  
Says,

You may already know this, but I didn't until Terry S. showed it to me, and I have never been more pleased with a modification of rigging. After tying the palomar knot, take the leader peice that goes to the weight and slide it through the top of the eye of the hook. This will keep the hook pointing straight up. I struggled for a year trying to get those stupid hooks to stand up until I finally learned what everyone else in the world was doing.

Danny

IP Logged

RussBaker
Ex Member

Reply #12 - 06/29/05 at 23:28:08
Quote Print Post  
Says,

Go use the Ordella Drop shot rod and you  will catch more fish. Best drop shot rod on the market, so good you can feel the fish breath on it. Heck just ask Bob Payseno how good it is.
Russ

IP Logged

Y2SAYS
Ex Member

Reply #13 - 06/30/05 at 00:14:50
Quote Print Post  
Dan...I saw that on TV with running the line back down the eye of the hook.  I think I'm working the bait too fast.  I may have to slow down and work it slower.

IP Logged

RobAllen
Ex Member

Reply #14 - 06/30/05 at 01:50:31
Quote Print Post  
another question

If you are fishing shorter than  12 inches from the bottom anyway what advantage is there to drop shotting vs split shotting? especially if you are using a bouyant worm like a robo?

this is just my limited experience but  when a larger  fish takes while using a finesse worm there isn't much doubt as to what's going on  so I cannot see an advantage in terms of detecting the strike.  I can see an advantage if  your fishing with a longer leader  but if it's short i don't see an advantage, what am I missing?

IP Logged

Bookmarks: del.icio.us Digg Facebook Google Google+ Linked in reddit StumbleUpon Twitter Yahoo