Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) What bass rig? (Read 5598 times)
Y2SAYS
Ex Member

What bass rig?
06/24/05 at 07:59:44
Quote Print Post  
I was wondering on what bass rig are you in when you're out in the water?  I have a G3 Angler V170 multi-species with a Yami 75 4stroke.  It's a nice boat that handles rough water pretty well, but I'm looking at getting something faster and sleeker that is designed for bassin.  I've been thinking about getting a real bass boat since that's all I do.  I bought the boat thinking that I'll go out in the sound and fish for salmon and other species, but that wasn't the case.  So what do you guys have?  18ft seems to be the popular size around here.  What motor are you guys running?  What about 2 or 4 stroke motors?  New or used?  For the money, I can get a used 20 footer for the same as a new 18 footer, but it's hard to find a use one with a four stroke.  I'm afraid about the emissions law that might go into effect in the near future.  The only reason why I'm even thinking about a new boat is eventually I want to be able to tournament fish and I want to be able to hang with the rest of the field.

IP Logged

SMITTY
Ex Member

Re: What bass rig?
Reply #1 - 06/24/05 at 13:53:59
Quote Print Post  
An 18.5 ft. boat powered with a 150-175 hp 2 stroke is pretty much the entry-level standard in fiberglass boats.  Most bass anglers shy away from the 4 stroke technology as the perfromance is woefully lacking when measured against a 2-stroke engine of equal hp.  The new 2nd generation of Direct Injected 2 stroke engines such as the Optimax or the HPDI have gone a long way in meeting and even surpassing current California and Federal emissions standards.  Evinrude introduced a 3rd generation Direct injection engine 2 years ago that surpasses 4 stroke engines in emissions, noise levels, and performance.  The new E-Tec engines, which require no breakin at all have set a standard that the rest of the industry is scrambling to catch up to.  They are a little bit more expensive than the current direct Injected engines but the requirement for NO maintanence for 3 years or 300 hours certainly offsets that.  I am looking forward to getting my new one next winter. Grin
A brand spanking new 18.5 bass boat with a 150 E-Tec engine will set you back about $26,000.

Smitty
Wink

Nanner Nanner

IP Logged

Larry S.
Ex Member

Reply #2 - 06/24/05 at 15:57:21
Quote Print Post  
Hey Says', I have an 18'6" ProCraft Pro 190.
It has a Mercury 150 EFI and a 23" prop. it gets on plane almost instantly and has lots of room for tackle.
It has a 48 gallon fuel tank and a 46 gallon livewell with redundant aerator and pumps....I have not had a single fish die in 2-1/2 years with this boat!
The only issue I have is the size of the front deck for flippin-pitching applications it gets tight for two people up front the pro 200 would have been the ticket but I fish solo so much it makes sense for me.
It gets up to 63 mph with light load and 58 heavy.

IP Logged

Sarge
Ex Member

Reply #3 - 06/24/05 at 16:59:15
Quote Print Post  
BAM!

http://www.tristatemarine.net/support/all_boats.htm

Check out the second boat down (285 pro XL). That is what I would get if I had the money right now, and it sounds like it would fit your needs as well. If you don't buy it soon, I might end up with it at the end of the year Grin

You will get a lot of different opinions on this topic, and the only way to get to know what you want is to get in some boats and drive them yourself. Go to a club tournament or fish-in and ask folks if you can take a ride in some of their boats.

Here are some questions you need to answer before you start looking seriously:

- Price range?
- Single or dual console?
- Outboard: 2 (EFI, DFI, or Carb - wouldn't do carb... sorry Chris B.), or 4 stroke
- Do you want hydraulic steering
- How much storage do you want?
- Are you limited by your tow vehicle?
- Do you want to fish docks a lot? (If so, I would shy away from the 20'+ battle ships)
- Do you want to be able to fish small lakes?
- Trailer brakes?
- Do you want top speed, a good ride, or a combination of the two?

There are more questions to come up with, but that should get you thinking in the right direction. 18 footers are tricky because some are fast, some are slow, some are much better rides than others, and some have way more storage and options than others. When you get into the 20 foot range, ride, speed, and storage are a little more trivial and only for the connoisseur to debate over.

Chris

IP Logged

RussBaker
Ex Member

Reply #4 - 06/24/05 at 18:05:10
Quote Print Post  
Y2,
Go with what you are most confortable with. Look at over all value for your dollar, disregard how good it looks otherwise you will miss the fit and what is important. Will it fit in your garage? As far as Chris's comment on fishing docks with a 20+ footer have a 21' 210 Super Pro Procraft now and have never had an issue. Actually better than a smaller boat, you have more room to skip, etc. Mostly that issue no matter what size the boat is has to with experience.
Look at the 200 Super Pro or 190 ProCrafts best value for the money.

Good Luck,
Russ

IP Logged

Chris B
Ex Member

Reply #5 - 06/24/05 at 19:24:43
Quote Print Post  
If you want a starter boat, you might be able to get away with a used boat. You saw my boat Says, but it's pretty expensive even for an 18 footer.  I just kept seeing the outragous prices on Nixons website for used boats, and I said what the hell.  Who knows how they are maintained, and you know how some treat their boats.  I asked Jeff Priester how much I could get a 185 triton for and he told me $27k with a 150 Opti. 
Get what you want thats all I can say.  Buying the best ain't cheap.   Grin

IP Logged

gotfive
Ex Member

Reply #6 - 06/24/05 at 22:19:24
Quote Print Post  
I gotta plug the service that I get from Nixon's since I bought my used boat there three years ago.  Even if the prices may be a tad on the high side, I was treated fairly with the offer I gave and did not feel an ounce of buyers remorse after my experience.  Talk to Jeff, and he will help you out.  They have delivered parts and batteries to me personally and have helped me with nickle and dime stuff right over the phone.  Many clubbers have has the same experience and frankly, Nixon's set the bar for delivery of bass rigs in this state.  There are many good boats and dealers out there, but that is where and who I would deal with in any boat purchase in the future.  My two cents.  Good Luck and think Skeeter. 

Kirk

IP Logged

Y2SAYS
Ex Member

Reply #7 - 06/24/05 at 23:23:32
Quote Print Post  
Russ...how did I know you were going to say Procraft? Sarge I saw the ad on bassmaster magazine on the stratos and looks like a pretty good deal.  20995 for a 18ft with a yahama 150 2stroke.  I'll probably go with a HPDI though.  Then you have to add dealer prep and all the other stuff.  Once said and done I'll be right back at around 25K.  Plus, the only dealer close by is in Idaho.  There's a Skeeter SX190 at Angler Marine with a 150 4stroke for 25k, but I'm not quite sure if I wanna go 4stroke this time.  I'm sure once the 2006 models comes out it'll be a lot cheaper.

IP Logged

Admin
Forum Administrator

I love YaBB!

Reply #8 - 06/25/05 at 02:09:41
Quote Print Post  
Hello,
I was a career backseater in the club for 10 years before I finally had the $$, stable job, and towing vehicle to finally buy a boat.  I got an aluminum because it was cheap, and I could make mistakes without it costing me big bucks.  It was a great learning experience overall.  Then I upgraded to a new fiberglass boat.

I now own a 520 DVX Ranger Commanche (20' dual console) with a 225 HPDI.  The boat has a very smooth, comfortable, dry ride and is built exceptionally well - a trademark of all Ranger boats.

Fuel/oil consumption on the HPDI is very good compared to other fuel injected/carborated engines.  Power is excellent and it's very, very quiet.  The new Optis and E-Tecs are in the same league and very comparible.  I love my Yammie and have been very happy with it.

I haven't had any experience with Nixon's, but Spokane Valley Marine has treated me very, very well - even performing repairs, or delivering parts in person, at tournament locations.  I had a bad battery when I bought it, and they not only upgraded me to a larger battery for free, but they installed it at Banks lake, then performed a factory upgrade on the control panel while they were at it. 

In addition, Ranger boats headquarters has also provided exceptional service.  My cover was causing wear marks on the gelcoat from trailering so I gave them a call.  I ended up talking to the woman who made my cover, explained to her the problem, and she said in her southern drawl, "Send it over to me, honey, I'll take care of it."  10 days later I had a felt-lined cover delivered to my doorstep, free of charge.  Smiley

I can go on and on, but you get the jist.

Ownership pride aside, I can confidentally say from my experience as a backseater, stick with the major, familiar brand names and you'll be fine.  Follow Chris' advice, and carefully examine fit/finish ( a good quality test is to run your hand underneath the livewell lip - quality boats finish it, cheap boats don't). The quality of the trim/finish work can give insight into how the rest of the boat is built.

Are you and buddy just going to fish, or is the whole family? If mom and the kids are in tow, then getting a Comanche 520SVX with a 225 Mercury OptiMax on the back probably isn't the best choice. At that point a good compromise is a play and ski boat or a boat with plenty of freeboard (read: tall sides) to help keep the kids safely in the boat when it gets windy and the waves kick up.

When looking at a boat, I think a person should consider the following three things:
  • Is this a boat you would be happy with for awhile - does it have what you want, where you want it? This is an obvious but sometimes overlooked item - especially with the thrill of the hunt and people become enamored with the shiny metal flake finish and forget that the rod locker isn't long enough for their beloved 9'8" Muskie Masher rod. Get in the boat with the dealer rep and look around - sit in the seats and check things out. You can quickly determine whether a model fits your needs.
  • Look at the fit and finish. This is a tell-tale sign of quality. Check to see how the carpet is put in - especially around the hatches. A sloppy job there usually speaks volumes. Step on the hatches - are they really bouncy? That's not good either. Look at the compartments - are they plastic, metal or fiberglass and how are they put in? One of the things Dan at Spokane Valley Marine did in the fiberglass Rangers is jump down inside one of the back storage compartments to show how strong they are and how integrated they are into the boat. And at 250 pounds, that's some pretty good weight going into that compartment - without a problem.
  • What do you get for your money? Look at the features and compare. Are they including a standard model locator or an upgrade? The same goes for the trolling motor. Also look at the little things that mean a lot… like a 1000 GPH bilge pump (rather than 500 or 750 - how bad do you want to bail in a storm or emergency?!), six gauge wiring instead of ten or eight (heavier wire means more power goes from the battery to your locator, trolling motor, etc.).

Check out the trailer. If you will be handling the boat by yourself, I would recommend a single axle. If you get a 20-foot or larger boat you will need a tandem axle with brakes. Tandems are hard to move by yourself and the brakes can add to your problems in backing up, but they do pull on the road great.  Newer boats have brakes that automatically disengage when you put the truck in reverse.

Another thing to consider is the quality and value, which can be seen in the resale value of a boat. Check out an ABOS Blue Book on your favorite brands and see the median value of the one-year old models - especially if it's a model you are considering. These numbers can be really enlightening.

Finally, grab a handful of rods and some tackle, take it out on the water, and fish it.  How well can you maneuver on the deck without tripping over your rods? If your fishing spot is the back deck, how big is the area and is the seat comfortable? If you share the front deck, is the deck area large enough for two to fish comfortably? Does the butt seat have more than one seat-mounting hole to give you flexibility in fishing area and be able to reach for the trolling motor with ease? Sit down in the driver's seat and see if you can see the gauges. Does the steering wheel tilt, can you see over the dash to drive and is the seat comfortable for long runs down the lake to that hot spot?  How well can you view the front depthfinder when fishing both sides?  If it 's a used boat, is there electronic interference showing up on the depthfinder? Is the trolling motor adequate for handling the boat?  How well does the motor start?  And of course, drive the thing - it's very, very different from your current boat!  Shocked

Pick a somewhat windy day. Any boat will run good on a smooth surface, but how does it do in real conditions?

Believe it or not, there are many subtle nuances to boat handling, and not just learning to launch and retrieve your boat, or backing down the ramp. When I was first learning to handle my Ranger I had a difficult time, especially with learning the sublties of using the trim while racing down the lake.  When I first had my aluminum, putting the boat back onto the trailer took awhile to learn. I was lucky that a Ranger pro-staffer was able to help me learn how to drive the boat. He went out with me and taught me in 1 hour what would have taken me long time, and probably lots of repairs to find out. He taught me to listen for the pitch change when trimming down, how to handle crossing wakes, and much more. I'm sure the many club members would do the same for you, so don't be afraid to ask. Everyone had to learn somehow, and I haven't met a boat owner yet that wasn't willing to help someone learn.

By all means, common sense will tell you that if you become uncomfortable at some point with your selection, don't make the deal. You're making a major investment and need to shop hard to get the best deal. Awesome boat deals are abundant.  If you miss out on one, there's no doubt another is right around the corner. 

Buying a boat is an exciting time, and whether you buy a new or used boat, I know you'll enjoy your time on the water. Good luck and good fishing.

IP Logged

champ206
Forum Member

Reply #9 - 06/25/05 at 06:00:41
Quote Print Post  
Boy what a tuff decision. I went through this a few years ago. There are so many boat manufactures out there and each one has there strong a weak points. I believe people who have a certain brand are very loyal to that brand until something better comes along. In 2001 I looked at Bullet, Storker and wanted a 90 mph boat. Well being the stature of a person that I am(big) I did not have a  comfortable driving position to drive a boat that traveled at 90+ mph and had to decide on something else. I looked at Triton, Ranger, Skeeter, Pro Craft, Cobra and Champion. I like the way Triton used the space with all the shelves.  Ranger the Quality and finish. I feel this is the boat other manufactures compare themselves to in that category. Skeeter for the speed and fishability and very good quality. Pro Craft you got allot for you $'s. Well I ended up with a Champion.. I feel the Quality,fit and finish is every bit as good as a Ranger. I do give up a few mph in calm to little rough water to the other brands. But when going down Banks lake and you make the turn at Steamboat rock and see nothing but whitecaps that is where the Champion will shine. Not that I am saying that other brands do not do well in this type of water, allot has to do with the driver, but the rough water ride is what Champion noted for . As Champion's add says, "ride and decide". As far as a 20' boat goes I have a 206 and I think the front deck on it has more room than most 21 foot boats and gives nothing to most of the 22ft boats.  I have never looked at a Bass Cat but from what I have read I would give the a good look at.  I believe Tri-State Marine in Utah sells Champion, Stratos and Skeeter. Would possibly be a place to go see  brands side by side and compare

IP Logged

Chris B
Ex Member

Reply #10 - 06/25/05 at 07:20:00
Quote Print Post  
Some very very good points being made.  Says has a nice boat, but I can see how its not set up for full-time bass fishing  Wink  Can't wait for you to get a new rig Says, you will be very pleased with whatever you buy I'm sure.

IP Logged

Rob M.
Ex Member

Reply #11 - 06/27/05 at 03:00:58
Quote Print Post  
If I were you I would get with Ron Hankinson. 20 ft Skeeter with 200 hp. Nice, fast boat to keep up with the field. I believe he is asking for 10k. I think it is a sweet deal.

IP Logged

RobAllen
Ex Member

Reply #12 - 06/27/05 at 03:31:26
Quote Print Post  
I have a 1988 stratos 201 pro with a 1990 200 HP Johnson GT I paid 6900 for it.

I think if you  shop around and take your time  you can find a great used boat. I know guys with hull's  the same as mine pushing the mid 70's and that's fast enough for anyone  in any competition. You  don't need a new boat to go fast enough to compete is my point there.

Evaluate your needs and wants and find a boat that fits thoes needs , if it's a used boat make sure you know how to inspect a boat and make sure  you know how to say NO!  you  can always walk away...

IP Logged

SMITTY
Ex Member

Reply #13 - 06/27/05 at 14:05:12
Quote Print Post  
Please allow me to make a small correction to the statement made by Champ 206.  I am on the Promotions Staff for Tri-State Marine, and they are located in Nampa ID., not Utah as he stated.  Tri-State is the NW  dealer for Stratos and Champion as well as several aluminum brands and a line of pontoon boats.  Addtionally they have a good selection of pre-owned boats that are checked over completely before they resell them.  Currently they have a couple of great deals on late model Skeeters that were Pro-Staff boats prior to Tri-State dropping of that boat line. 
Nampa is located about 10 miles west of Boise on interstate 84, roughly a 6-7 hour drive from Seattle. 
If you are interested in a late model Stratos I will be happy to arrange a ride and demonstration for you.  If you are interested in a larger boat(21'), my 2004 201 PRO XL w/ Evinrude Ficht 225HO
will be available in late October.

Smitty
Wink

Nanner Nanner

IP Logged

Bookmarks: del.icio.us Digg Facebook Google Google+ Linked in reddit StumbleUpon Twitter Yahoo