Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) TROPHIES and PAYOUT (Read 6739 times)
REDCHAMP
Ex Member

Re: TROPHIES and PAYOUT
Reply #15 - 06/10/05 at 05:44:03
Quote Print Post  
Mike, Maybe that's why there was only a handfull of folks there. Let's give em more incentive.
Mark

IP Logged

Rob M.
Ex Member

Reply #16 - 06/10/05 at 13:46:10
Quote Print Post  
Everyone at last year's Jack and Jill would have gotten a trophy as we only had 5 couples.

IP Logged

Larry S.
Ex Member

Reply #17 - 06/10/05 at 15:19:14
Quote Print Post  
Rob....5 couples .....
$40.00 each.....
=$200.00
-$120.00...Trophies 1st 2nd 3rd
no raffles since all get payout......
-$20.00 for Big Fish......
$60.00 5 ways
if no ranking applied to payout
a whopping $12.00 to each team!
5 trophies........little to no payout.
WHOOOOOHOOOOOOOO!
LETS DO IT!
Tongue

IP Logged

Rob M.
Ex Member

Reply #18 - 06/10/05 at 15:44:25
Quote Print Post  
It was a sarcastic statement. I don't feel trophies should go to 5th place personally. I was just making the comment because there was only 5 teams and I know we would have barely covered the trophies.  A certificate would be fine in my opinion. If we had 75-100 anglers then trophies to 5th would be nice. Until that happens.....

IP Logged

Mike_W
Ex Member

Reply #19 - 06/11/05 at 04:36:25
Quote Print Post  
Ok, Anybody here that would be more willing to go fish a tournament to have a shot at a fifth place trophy and $6.57, hit a key or something.

If we want more attendance don't try to lure current members into fishing tournies by offering more trophies. Or less money to the top finishers and more to the lower finishers. Go find new members. Bring more members into the club that enjoy fishing and see what kind of turnouts you get. Heck I just joined and I can count four guys that came on at the same time that all fish in the tournies.

I am thinking we could make an Amay pyramid out of it or something. People signing up people. The more people you sign up the more money you make for a win.

Mike

IP Logged

Larry G.
Ex Member

Reply #20 - 06/11/05 at 14:29:26
Quote Print Post  
Although I have not fished club tournaments for quite a few years now, I have monitored this topic. It is clear to me that that the suggestions posted, are in the spirit of good sportsmanship, and not self-fulfilling goals
But lets back up.  Most anglers that join WBC, do it to learn more about Bass fishing.
I doubt there is a better venue for learning then fishing a tournament. The amount of knowledge that is passed around, whether freely or not is staggering.
So for those who need more of an incentive to go to a tournament, stop and think what you can learn, regardless of what place you finish.
Larry G.

IP Logged

EX-PREZ
WBC Member

"I'd like to thank my
sponsors for helping
me out"

Reply #21 - 06/12/05 at 17:08:26
Quote Print Post  
Hey Gang,
  The original comment that started this "thread" was regarding increasing the pay out to "get some money back".  Mike, tpye the amount of times you've come home with more money than you left with.  I think this is my 9th year tournament fishing with WBC and it has never happened, and I've done quite well!
  My thoughts on this post originally was that WBC has well over 100 members, some of which never have, or never will fish a tournament.  For those that do, a trophy is something to be proud of.  The new guy, entire family over for the holidays, proudly displays his 5th or 6th place trophy he won in a bass tournament, that's pride! 
  For those that dont hang them on the wall, that's your choice.  For those wondering if they can compete against everyone else, a trophy proves they can.
  Ask Danny Garrett whether the $ he won was more inmportant than the first trophy he ever won.  The Jamboree gives out trophies to the top 25, yes, the tournament is bigger, but when we have 35 people fishing one of ours, 6th place is what, 20% of the field?  Not to make a mountain out of a molehill, but for the guys and gals that don't care about the trophies any more, you think that might be because "the glamour of winning them may be gone"?  MY .02

SPONSORS:&&MY BEAUTIFUL WIFE!&&1st pick at the raffle (when we have a raffle)&&TEAM NO BOAT PAYMENT/ NO TRUCK PAYMENT&&AQUA VU CAMERAS (borrowed from Terry, scratch that, he took it back)&&STRATOS boats (pre-owned division)&&YAMAHA (came with the STRATOS boat)

IP Logged

REDCHAMP
Ex Member

Reply #22 - 06/12/05 at 18:13:19
Quote Print Post  
Ron,
You and I are in agreement. The trophy is something to be proud of, at least for a few years. "Yea Russ, I've thrown away quite a few over the years also."  The money is spent on the way home.  A trophy also brings back memories every time you dust it off or your wife asks when you're gonna take care of that damn thing. .
One of my most memorable trophies I have is a 4th place plaque shared with my old partner Jim Smith from an ABA tourney on Lk WA. 1st, 2nd or 3rd would have been better but the day was unique. Had it been a 6th place finish, I wouldn't be any less proud or happy. The money was spent on a new depth finder that is long gone now.
For those not wanting to win a 4th or 5th place trophy, I'm sorry. I'll bet  the majority of the membership doesn't share your opinion.
Of course this idea is based upon the large turnout we've been having and not on a 5 couple J & J tourney.
Had Danny Garrett's trophy at Potholes been a 5th place plaque, I'll bet he'd have been just as thrilled with his first ever bass fishing award. Congrats Danny. I wish all awards were accepted with the enthusiasm and humility that you displayed.
Mark
« Last Edit: 06/12/05 at 23:50:24 by »  

IP Logged

dgarrett
Ex Member

Reply #23 - 06/14/05 at 08:47:01
Quote Print Post  
Thanks Mark. I will say that it doesn't matter whether it's a 3rd, 4th, 5th, 6th, or whatever....having a plaque that I sleep with every night..lol...is awesome, and it's a huge incentive to keep coming back for more great tournaments and fishins. If I'm already paying hundreds of dollars for equipment, lodging, and gas...what's 5 more bucks so that 4th, 5th, and 6th get SOMETHING they can take home, show to their friends, and say....look what I did?....I'm getting better at this sport....YAHOOOO! I love my plaque, and I appreciate you guys for lobbying for more incentives for the newbies in the sport. It's the only way the club will continue to grow.

Danny

IP Logged

Bookmarks: del.icio.us Digg Facebook Google Google+ Linked in reddit StumbleUpon Twitter Yahoo