Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) boater responsibilities ion tournaments? (Read 7978 times)
RobAllen
Ex Member

boater responsibilities ion tournaments?
04/09/05 at 23:25:06
Quote Print Post  
next weekend i am fishing my first tournament it's just a small club event  but i want to do right by my non boater what are some things i am obligated to do and what are some things  that will help me  to have a good reputation as a boater?

Also the columbia next weekend I suspect will be in the mid hopefully high 40's i would expect  fish to be in deeper water out of the cutrrent but very close to shallow water spawning areas, I am hoping for a jerkbait bite with a backup of a carolina rig and or drop shotting,   that sound about right to you guys???

IP Logged

StuK
WBC Member

Lund Boats

Re:  boater responsibilities ion tournaments?
Reply #1 - 04/09/05 at 23:35:33
Quote Print Post  
RobAllen,

I'm sure the guys who own boats will give you some good advice. Here is a link to some good articles for both the boater and the non-boaters' prospectives: http://bassresource.com/fishing/co-angler_clinic.html

On the very bottom left there is a list of links to the related articles for you to look at.

Stu

LUND - The Ultimate Fishing Experience

IP Logged

Nick
Ex Member

Reply #2 - 04/11/05 at 16:51:53
Quote Print Post  
If the water in the upper 40's cover water with a crankbait and find a consentration of bass and settle down on them with the drop and jerkbait.

IP Logged

Mike_W
Ex Member

Reply #3 - 04/12/05 at 04:17:17
Quote Print Post  
RA,

I have shared by boat with several people in several tourny. The thing that I have learned is just be cool. I think that the people that are not cool outside of a boat, are probably not going to be very cool in a boat. If you invited the person into your boat, talk about the day BEFORE you get on the water. Let them know what you expect out of them. And what they can expect out of you. Here are a few things that you may want to think about and talk over with you partner.

Strategies- Are either one of you familiar with the water? Do you or they have "secret" spots you want to share. Reassure them that you will not scab on their spots and expect the same from them. If you discover water together then it should be free for later use.

Boat manners- decide where the backseater will fish. I have a large boat so I encourage my backseater to join me up front. It is easier to position the boat that way. If you have a small boat then make sure that they have some opertunities to get some casts in. If they are in the back, encourage them to watch your casts and try to hit water you missed or left open (intentionaly or not).

Comunicate-Do not be affraid to tell your backseat what you need. If they need to do something to help you, tell them. BUT be sure to do the same for them. The thing that comes to mind here is netting fish. If some one hooks up. drop what you are doing and help land the fish. It will pay off for you when you hook the DADDY RABBIT. If you feel that they are cutting you off on water or something let them know.

Learn- I really enjoy taking people out and showing them the way I like to fish. But what is even bigger for me is watching how they do it. Different people will fish the same bait different ways. So watch how they are doing things. They may not realize that they are teaching you thier techniques.

This one is optional-Share-If the day is slow, give the backseat the option of moving or hitting another spot that looks good to them. Even if they do not take you up on the offer they will probably appreciate the jesture. Share your gear also. If you have a hot plastic that is knocking them dead, give a couple to them. Then when they have the hot bait it will pay you back.

Heres the big one. Have fun- If you are worried about having the "good guy" reputation. Just have fun with your partner. Even if you do not catch any fish or place last or whatever may happen. If you had a good time and you stayed POSITIVE you will be remembered like that. Remember that you are probably competing for a top prize of a couple hundred bucks. Don't stress over the small stuff and JUST BE COOL.

Mike

IP Logged

Admin
Forum Administrator

I love YaBB!

Reply #4 - 04/12/05 at 04:52:52
Quote Print Post  
Well said Mike!  I couldn't agree more!   Grin

IP Logged

RussBaker
Ex Member

Reply #5 - 04/12/05 at 14:28:03
Quote Print Post  
Amen Mike,

Great answer.
Russ

IP Logged

Rich
Ex Member

Reply #6 - 04/12/05 at 15:19:29
Quote Print Post  
BUT, if you are out with Mike or even in the near vicinity of his boat do not be afraid if you hear a blood curdling SCREAM.  It is just Mike catching a TOAD.  (Hey Mike,  I was kinda wondering if Icconelli(sp) stole that from you?) LOL

Overall, a very good synopsis of sharing a boat.  I think the big key is communicate.  Be willing to ask questions and to answer.  And share.  If you don't want to share water with a backseater then don't take one.

Rich

IP Logged

Dipsnort
Ex Member

Reply #7 - 04/12/05 at 19:07:50
Quote Print Post  
Thanks for the write up, Mike - great tips!

Speaking as a non-boater with very limited bass fishing experience, we back seaters want to fulfill the expectations of the boater and be as helpful as we can be.  I would guess that most of us appreciate any direction the experienced guy can provide with regard to expectations, fishing tips, etc.

On a related topic, I think it is common for the back seater to want to help out with the costs of a day on the water.  We realize that there are costs associated with vehicle and boat gas and launching/parking, not to mention the fact that there are numerous other boat & motor purchase, repair, and insurance costs as well.

If anyone can provide guidelines related to sharing expenses, that would also be helpful. Smiley

IP Logged

hawghunter_2017
WBC Member

Reply #8 - 04/12/05 at 20:40:44
Quote Print Post  

I believe when you are sharing someone else's boat, as previously mentioned, communicate with the boater and find out what they expect. Help anyway you can, I believe especially right now that all gas be split if you are sharing a ride to and from the lake and not just boat gas money. Help the boater launching and landing the boat. Help wipe the boat down when done at the end of the day, keep his boat clean. Find out what they will allow and not allow as far as eating, drinking etc. Also maybe find out what kind of places you plan on fishing, what kind of techniques to be prepared as well. Treat the boaters boat as if it were your own. In general lend a hand where ever you can, and you will be welcomed again.

Ted

Ted

IP Logged

RussBaker
Ex Member

Reply #9 - 04/12/05 at 23:09:20
Quote Print Post  
As a non-boater you should also clean up after yourself by cleaning the fish blood from the back of the boat Angry that was left on the seats, your trash, and any other things the non-boater has left. General courtesy goes a long way. I have had my share of back seaters that did the above to me and they never were invited again. As in all posts as well as Teds, if you take these points and make sure they are taken care of you will never have a problem finding a backseat. Cheesy
Russ

IP Logged

Rob M.
Ex Member

Reply #10 - 04/13/05 at 00:49:29
Quote Print Post  
Don't step all over the boat's seats....

IP Logged

Rich
Ex Member

Reply #11 - 04/13/05 at 02:19:10
Quote Print Post  
Thanks for putting that in Rob.

Rich

IP Logged

Doug_Booth
Ex Member

Reply #12 - 04/13/05 at 03:24:56
Quote Print Post  
As  the guy that's gonna be spending a lot of time in the new boat, I'm glad Mike's laid out all the expectations.  I feel good about our partnership.

IP Logged

Mike_W
Ex Member

Reply #13 - 04/13/05 at 03:40:20
Quote Print Post  
Doug, You are killing me. I burst out laghing when I read that.

After rereading my first post I kinda feel like DR.Phill. I think I should start giving marraige advise.

1- Don't let your wife ride in a motorhome with Mr.Booth to Potholes.

2- Don't lend your daddy pants to anyones else. They lost thiers, let them find 'em.

3- Don't let your wife read what you write on the forums.

IP Logged

Doug_Booth
Ex Member

Reply #14 - 04/13/05 at 03:49:18
Quote Print Post  
Do you think we can get both our vehicles washed for $45?

IP Logged

Bookmarks: del.icio.us Digg Facebook Google Google+ Linked in reddit StumbleUpon Twitter Yahoo