Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) Silver Lake...What worked? (Read 6781 times)
Y2SAYS
Ex Member

Silver Lake...What worked?
03/12/05 at 02:44:08
Quote Print Post  
Missed the fish-in, but will be down there this Sunday.  So what was the go-to lure out there?  Any hot spots?  Don't worry I won't tell. Grin

IP Logged

dgarrett
Ex Member

Re: Silver Lake...What worked?
Reply #1 - 03/12/05 at 07:02:46
Quote Print Post  
Says,

I'm sure I'll get raked across the coals by someone (Sarge) for replying, since last weekend was my first time on the lake, but since no was has answered.....Brian and I caught our fish on or near laydown logs and submerged willows in 3-6 feet of water. Both of us were texas-rigging (1/16-1/8 oz)....I used a 5" lizard and Brian a creature bait of some sort....he kept his back towards me so I couldn't see it Smiley That said, it sounds like Rich caught his giant on a weightless brushhog in shallower water. From what I've learned so far, it's all about the plastics and jigs there. ALthough I suspect that with a little wind on the water, a spinnerbait or some other reaction bait would work well also. There's not numbers of fish there, so I would try and cover a lot of water. And, as I've always found, something that looks different than everything else around it is probably a good place to start. Well, I've done it now....said too much with too little knowledge. Good luck Says, and hopefully someone will provide you with their expertise since I have none.

Tight Lines,
Danny

IP Logged

Y2SAYS
Ex Member

Reply #2 - 03/12/05 at 07:14:27
Quote Print Post  
Thanks Danny.  Oh...and congrats on your 6# LM.

IP Logged

dgarrett
Ex Member

Reply #3 - 03/12/05 at 09:22:59
Quote Print Post  
Thanks Says....there's a whole bunch of people fishing Silver tomorrow, so maybe someone will give you an update by tomorrow evening. Go catch the big one!

Danny

IP Logged

RussBaker
Ex Member

Reply #4 - 03/13/05 at 05:51:23
Quote Print Post  
Water temp is running 56 Main lake to 58-59 in canals. Caught around 13-14lbs today. Could have had over 20 but did not stick on purpose due to next saturdays tournament. All fish on plastics. Don't be afraid to go behind someone in a canal. I fished behind Sargeant and Stephenson today and pulled 9lbs worth on 4 fish. Wink Wink

Plastics -Pig And Jig !!!
RB

IP Logged

Weedwalker
Ex Member

Reply #5 - 03/13/05 at 06:09:14
Quote Print Post  
Well, for the first half of the day I tried areas I haven't fished that much, on baits other than the ones I allready knew worked. By noon I had a few bumps and follow-ups, but nothing to talk about. Swiched back to the "confedence baits" and put a 6.10 in the boat. 8) spent the remander of the day letting the fish pick up the bait, but not setting the hook on them. (In prep. for next weeks tourney.)  Roll Eyes Grin Brian (The Weedwalker)

IP Logged

Sarge
Ex Member

Reply #6 - 03/13/05 at 17:22:50
Quote Print Post  
Good job, Russ. The way Terry STEFFENSEN and Chris SERGEANT were fishing yesterday, my grandmother could have pulled behind us in an innertube with a paddle and caught fish.

Tough day for us out there. Just watched everyone else catch fish.

Chris

IP Logged

RussBaker
Ex Member

Reply #7 - 03/13/05 at 17:40:16
Quote Print Post  
I doubt it!! How were you fishing it?
RB

IP Logged

Sarge
Ex Member

Reply #8 - 03/13/05 at 18:06:47
Quote Print Post  
Seriously, Russ. It was a bad day for us. We aren't trying to sandbag for the open because we aren't fishing it.

We spent most of the day out in main lake areas fishing logs and bushes, except for when we ran into you in the canal. We threw brush hogs, jigs, and senkos all day. Terry briefly hooked one nice fish in the morning by the boat launch, and I hooked one and lost it in the morning and broke one off later in the day.

We talked to Ron H. and Dave J. and they slayed fish. At the time we talked to them they had 11 fish in the boat, with one almost 6 pounds.

Needless to say, we were a little bummed at our performance. LOL.  Grin

Chris

IP Logged

Rich
Ex Member

Reply #9 - 03/14/05 at 01:33:50
Quote Print Post  
Hey Chris,  we thought that was your Grandmother in an inner tube behind you but now we find out it was Russ.   Damn, I hope your Grandmother is better looking then that.(ducking)

Glad to hear that some nice fish were caught.  If this weather holds we should have some really nice fishing next weekend.  Come on WBC let's do it.

Rich

IP Logged

Y2SAYS
Ex Member

Reply #10 - 03/14/05 at 03:04:51
Quote Print Post  
Ok...I officially suck! Angry  Went out today to try to get my first bass of the year.  Got to the lake at 6:30 and we couldn't see 10ft in front of us from the fog.  Being new to the lake, we took a right from the launch and stayed close to shore working the shoreline with jigs.  The fog finally cleared up and we started to venture elsewhere.  We worked the docks, canals, brushes, laydowns, and threw everything we had and nothing.  Senkos, jigs, kreature, hula grub, lizards, worms...nothing.  The wind kicked up and I even tied on a spinnerbait and shallow running crankbait...nothing.  We got so desperate that my brother tied on some crappie jigs and still nothing.  NOT EVEN NIGHTCRAWLERS worked.  The only thing I didn't throw was a dynomite.  And believe me, if I had one I would've thrown it.  The only thing I caught...or my boat caught...was a log that busted my prop. Angry  Five outings...3 at Sawyer, 1 at Lk Wash. and now Silver Lake...0-5.  Well, I'll try it again at Vantage later this month if I get my prop fixed by then and maybe I'll catch something there.  

IP Logged

RussBaker
Ex Member

Reply #11 - 03/14/05 at 03:45:47
Quote Print Post  
Chris,

Sorry to hear about that. Yes I did the same thing the week before, threw everything but the kicthen sink and caught one lousy fish. Its good to hear guys catching them, but guys who are prefishing and sticking fish, not a good thing. All I can say is good luck trying to get those fish to bite next week during the tourney.
RB

IP Logged

EX-PREZ
WBC Member

"I'd like to thank my
sponsors for helping
me out"

Reply #12 - 03/16/05 at 03:00:26
Quote Print Post  
Russ,
  Dave and I had a BALL!!  Best part, we went to all your spots and "stuck the fish"!!!!!!  We never even went to our confidence spots.  BTW, a week prior to a tournament isn't pre fishing, it's fun fishing.  See you on your spots on Saturday!!!!!! Grin

SPONSORS:&&MY BEAUTIFUL WIFE!&&1st pick at the raffle (when we have a raffle)&&TEAM NO BOAT PAYMENT/ NO TRUCK PAYMENT&&AQUA VU CAMERAS (borrowed from Terry, scratch that, he took it back)&&STRATOS boats (pre-owned division)&&YAMAHA (came with the STRATOS boat)

IP Logged

RussBaker
Ex Member

Reply #13 - 03/16/05 at 03:19:10
Quote Print Post  
Ron,

If you only new where they were??? HEHE Wink Wink
RB

IP Logged

Rob M.
Ex Member

Reply #14 - 03/16/05 at 04:02:15
Quote Print Post  
Well all I have to say is "Good Luck" to all the WBC members fishing the Open, all jokes aside. I wish everyone the best of luck and I hope we place some teams up on top.

IP Logged

Bookmarks: del.icio.us Digg Facebook Google Google+ Linked in reddit StumbleUpon Twitter Yahoo