Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) Fiberglass or Graphite (Read 8124 times)
Y2SAYS
Ex Member

Fiberglass or Graphite
01/24/05 at 01:12:23
Quote Print Post  
Looking at getting a cranking/spinnerbait rod.  I've reading about what kinds of rod and most say to get fiberglass for the slower action, but most rods out there are graphite.  Even those that said they are made for cranking are graphite.  What do you guys think?

IP Logged

Chris B
Ex Member

Re: Fiberglass or Graphite
Reply #1 - 01/24/05 at 01:37:01
Quote Print Post  
Should of came to our meeting thursday night, would of had a very expert fisherman to ask that question too.  I'm sure someone here can help you just as well though.

IP Logged

Nick
Ex Member

Reply #2 - 01/24/05 at 14:38:51
Quote Print Post  
If your getting it for cranking and throwing a spinnerbait. Then I'd probably choose a nice graphite rod. If I was only going to choose to crank. Then I'd opt for the fiberglass.

IP Logged

SMITTY
Ex Member

Reply #3 - 01/24/05 at 14:47:20
Quote Print Post  
Fiberglass has been the accepted norm for several years now due to it's reletive slow sensitivity transmission which results in deeper hooksets.   Moreover there is less chance of tearing the hooks out of a less than idealy hooked fish. 
Many rod companies are offering various types of glass or composite fiberglass/graphite rods to fill this popular nich.  Often you can still use a 100% graphite rod and achieve virtually the same effect by "softening or slowing down" the action. In other words using a Medium action rod with a long taper vs. a medium heavy rod with a fast or very fast action.
There are too many variables in rod actions and tapers for me to discuss here.
Stop by the Shimano booth at the Puyallup Sportsmans's Show this week and I'll be happy to show you several examples. 8)

Smitty
Wink

IP Logged

Admin
Forum Administrator

I love YaBB!

Reply #4 - 01/24/05 at 20:32:01
Quote Print Post  
To be honest, a crankbait rod is totally different than a spinnerbait rod.  You're talking small, thin treble hooks vs. single large hooks.  In addition, you're often throwing cranks in sparse cover and spinnerbaits in heavier cover (yes, there are exceptions, but in general, this is true).

Therefore, you'll need a "softer" rod for cranks vs. a heavier-action rod for spinnerbaits.

I prefer 6' 8" - 7' med-light action rods for cranks; 6' - 6' 8" med-heavy to heavy action rods for spinnerbaits.

Just my .02

IP Logged

Rob M.
Ex Member

Reply #5 - 01/24/05 at 21:09:36
Quote Print Post  
I would agree with you there Glenn. I do like a 7ft rod though when I'm throwing in more open areas or covering a flat because of the longer cast.

IP Logged

marktfd88
Ex Member

Reply #6 - 01/24/05 at 23:02:55
Quote Print Post  
As for cranking I currently use two different rods.  One is a 7' med action glass/graphite composite.  I use this for my real long casting deep diving type cranks.  I use a med action graphite 6'6" for precise casting of cranks. Around docks, brush, lily pads ect...  I like the better control of the shorter rod  for the precision casting.  As for spinnerbait rods.... Well depends on what you are throwing to.  For more open water, clear conditions, I use a 6'6" med heavy with a very fast taper to the tip, lighter line.... The fast taper helps achieve the accuracy needed....  For heavy cover spinnerbait, I use a 6'6" med heavy rod....  Need the extra backbone to pull it thru the cover and pull the fish out if necessary...

Mark

IP Logged

S._Basser
Ex Member

Reply #7 - 01/25/05 at 01:29:29
Quote Print Post  
I'd go with carbon for either. They would be two different rods. For spinnerbaits, a 6' trigger stick is the best way to go. I'd like to be able to throw a nominal 1/4 > 1/2 oz spinnerbait. Be aware that they are usually about 1/4 oz heavier than their rated weight. Apparently the nominal weight is the weight of the head, and everything else adds onto that. Goofy.

For Crankin', I'd like to throw 1/4 > 1/2 oz cranks. I don't fish many lakes that aren't pretty clear, anyway, when compared to the ones they always yak about in BassMasters, and smaller cranks generally work better. Phil H. let me use his G.Loomis cranking rod one day, and I gotta say, they are sweet, tho expensive IMO. Go for 7', Med. or Med. Lt. Look at the lure weight.  I would look around at other rods; Quantum and Shimano are my favorites, but I do like the humped handles of most the BPS lineup. A 5:1 Curado would be a perfect match.
C&R, Steve

IP Logged

Y2SAYS
Ex Member

Reply #8 - 01/25/05 at 02:22:21
Quote Print Post  
Thanks for your replies.  I have a 7' med/heavy that I can use for the spinnerbaits and I think I'll go with a 7' med action one for the cranks.  I wasn't sure if it made a whole lot of difference between fiberglass and graphite.  Sounds like it doesn't matter too much.

IP Logged

Nick
Ex Member

Reply #9 - 01/25/05 at 03:16:55
Quote Print Post  
I will tell you that your mistaken about the difference. Most big time crankers like fiberglass for a reason. THat reason is that glass gives a slow motion. Plus a fiberglass rod will throw a crankbait half a mile without a hole lot of effort. Maybe it won't quite throw your crankbait that fair but it will cast it a long ways. If you want some info on some good glass rods. You can IM me.

IP Logged

S._Basser
Ex Member

Reply #10 - 01/27/05 at 06:29:54
Quote Print Post  
My experience with a fiberglass St. Croix rod, monofil and a smooth drag (Calcutta) turns a nice fish into a very dissappointing non-event. I would rather have some sense of a good fight, well fought, would prefer losing a fish once in awhile to not getting that exhilaration.  Give me carbon rods.
C&R, Steve

IP Logged

Rob M.
Ex Member

Reply #11 - 01/27/05 at 16:02:37
Quote Print Post  
Hey Y2SAYS, a fiberglass rod has some advantages that people have recognized, but it doesn't mean you have to have won. You may never loose a fish with a graphite. Some just like them better. I cranked with a medium heavy graphite rod for a long time and didn't have issues. It wasn't until I tried and fished with a fiberglass for 2-3 years before I determined I liked it. I actually liked my 7ft Castaway crankin rod which was made of graphite better than the glass rod I have now. I just happen to break it in my Jeep door.  You just want a rod that flexes easier. A graphite rod made for cranking is made to flex like a glass rod and wont pull the hooks out.

IP Logged

Rob M.
Ex Member

Reply #12 - 01/28/05 at 19:50:48
Quote Print Post  
That Castaway rod was a cranking rod for their "Soft Touch Series." It was a model STM7. M stands for medium, 7 for 7 foot in length. It was a sweet crankin rod....for anyone interested.

IP Logged

Admin
Forum Administrator

I love YaBB!

Reply #13 - 01/29/05 at 01:59:28
Quote Print Post  
I once owned a graphite/fiberglass composite for crankbaiting, and was fairly happy with it.  Then one fateful day, John Holland let me try out his G-Loomis crankbait rod.

OMG!!!  Shocked Shocked  Absolutely amazing!

I now own one, paired with a Shimano Chronarch reel, and it's the smoothest setup I own.  I love it! I can cast 1/8oz lures long distances with ease (not even a hint of a backlash). 

It acts like a fiberglass, in that it has that famous fiberglass-like give to it.  Yet it has the strength, sensitivity, and durability of a graphic rod.  The best of both worlds.

Keri tried it, and after one cast, turned to me and said, "Oh you SUCK!!"   Cheesy

IP Logged

Weedwalker
Ex Member

Reply #14 - 01/30/05 at 05:06:53
Quote Print Post  
Hey Y2SAYS, I use to use a crankin' rod, then as alot of people have allready said, I got my hands on a G-Loomis crankbait rod (6-6 med) and I'm tellin you, it was night and day!  Shocked you can feel the crankbait running and if it stops for any reason (besides hitting that sunkin tree) set the hook, while most crankbait bites are hit and run, now and then you get those that like to mouth them then let them go, usally the big ones. Brian (TheWeedwalker)  If your still hem hawing about what to get, hook up with me come april and judge for yourself. Smiley

IP Logged

Bookmarks: del.icio.us Digg Facebook Google Google+ Linked in reddit StumbleUpon Twitter Yahoo