Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) Citgo Bass Question? (Read 6435 times)
RussBaker
Ex Member

Citgo Bass Question?
12/21/04 at 18:34:19
Quote Print Post  
To All,

Anyone interested in fishing this series? Lets get some guys from the club and fish this and caravan down. I might be fishing all three. I know it is a long ways off , however planning for me takes time and of coarse our wives have to be onboard with these dates as well.

Check you schedules and lets do it!!!!!! Grin Grin Grin

IP Logged

Larry S.
Ex Member

Re: Citgo Bass Question?
Reply #1 - 12/21/04 at 18:42:05
Quote Print Post  
Since there are no conflicts with club stuff I can commit but still have to make sure I do'nt blow the money or my motor this spring!

IP Logged

RussBaker
Ex Member

Reply #2 - 12/21/04 at 18:48:24
Quote Print Post  
Larry,
Thats awsome. Lets see if we can get Kirk, Lyle and a few other hardy soles to compete.

IP Logged

Larry S.
Ex Member

Reply #3 - 12/21/04 at 21:21:09
Quote Print Post  
Why not start a meeting schedule where we can keep better track of the lakes and the logistics because thats what killed me last time.
Speaking of logistics....what did it run you last time for the whole trip?
just to get an idea....
In 2000 I fished Redman at Clear lake it ran me around $800.00 for all expenses but was for 6 days and that is half!
yes...two people...gas and housing plus entry....$1600.00
But some of the best fishing I've had and my largest fish to date...a 7.2 largemouth!

IP Logged

RussBaker
Ex Member

Reply #4 - 12/21/04 at 22:08:51
Quote Print Post  
Larry,

You nailed it $750-800. Lets see $400/entry fee, some food and gas. I didn't pay for hotel this time because I paid for all the gas. So yeah that number is correct. I filled up all tanks here before departing. My partner paid $108/Night  plus tax for suite at Shasta. However if I do the three tourneys I will more than likely camp.
I'm in agreement with you about meeting in the future to try to plan and reduce costs if at all posssible.
Russ

IP Logged

Nick
Ex Member

Reply #5 - 12/22/04 at 04:47:33
Quote Print Post  
I'm in as well! Larry and Russ.

IP Logged

Sarge
Ex Member

Reply #6 - 12/22/04 at 05:36:44
Quote Print Post  
Is $400 the boater entry fee, or is that non-boater?

Chris

IP Logged

Larry S.
Ex Member

Reply #7 - 12/22/04 at 05:52:59
Quote Print Post  
Non-Boater I believe Chris....

IP Logged

RussBaker
Ex Member

Reply #8 - 12/22/04 at 06:32:55
Quote Print Post  
Yeah,

Thats' the non-boater fee. Are you sitting down- The Pro fee is $1000 smakaroos.
Russ

IP Logged

Sarge
Ex Member

Reply #9 - 12/22/04 at 08:24:42
Quote Print Post  
That is what I thought.

I don't mean to be negative with this post at all, but I want to point out that there is rumor about some major rule changes for the Bassmaster Opens next season. They are already in effect for the Tour.

For the Tour, the Co-Anglers are only allowed to weigh in three fish, and their total weight will be shared weight with the pro. Information can not be shared on fishing spots between co-angler and pro. The Open rules haven't been released yet, but these may go into effect for the Opens as well. If these do happen for the Opens, then you are mainly paying for an expensive guided trip.

Here is an interesting article to read regarding this issue:

http://www.bassfan.com/coangler_article.asp?ID=17

So to be clear, I am not trying to deflate anyone's bubble, I just thought you would want to know about this in case you didn't already. I think it would be cool to see some of our clubbers go down to Cali and compete. And that article above is only one person's view. I am sure there are some positive things about the rule changes that have not been brought up.

Chris

IP Logged

SMITTY
Ex Member

Reply #10 - 12/22/04 at 13:47:07
Quote Print Post  
You have just stated the exact reason I have not yet weighed in on this thread Chris.  I'm waiting to see what BASS does with the rules.  If my hunches are correct and the Open's follow the lead of the Tour events, then fishing as a non-boater is little more that a VERY expensive guideed trip with a guide you don't get to choose. Tongue  There are several variations of shared weight formats that can be used, and some are actually pretty good.  However, the BASS formula for the Tour doesn't fall into that catagory Sad.
Having fished down there before in several large events such as the Yamamoto Open on Oraville and the Stratos Regional Championship at Clear Lake, I think I'll defer paying to fish under those (BASS non-boater) conditions.  As for the Delta, $400.00 will cover more than a day with several guides I could choose.
In an earlier thread there were discussions as to the cost of a tournament.  Last year when I fished the Clear Lake regional and fuel was $1.97 per gal., the cost for the trip excluding entry fees was about $550.00. Shocked  Now take that figure and split it since it was a team event, then throw the entry fees back in and you have a cost of about $475.00 per person, or $900.00 for the event. Cry Cry

Smitty
Wink

IP Logged

RussBaker
Ex Member

Reply #11 - 12/23/04 at 00:59:45
Quote Print Post  
This rule you are speaking of is from what I heard from the horse mouth only good for the opens. Yea you say $400 is high for two days with a guide that you don't choose, so what, what if you brought home $25,000 for the privelage. And pays that $400 back if you nake top 50. Pretty good odds in my book. The idea behind the non boater isssue this year I believe is a good one. Your best three then add his best 5.

The only question I have regarding this issue is who is going to police the discussions with Pro and Non Pro?

Russ

IP Logged

Larry S.
Ex Member

Reply #12 - 12/23/04 at 04:22:25
Quote Print Post  
We do have options... WE need to be a bigger voice At the tournaments as well as with e-mails and letters to the directors of BASS. I also think the ESPN days are limited as I predict this Basscenter program coming in January will not be aimed at US but rather become another Bass boat racing phenomenon and ESPN has jumped the shark with that program....I do like the ESPN programs now but they keep tweaking it as they do with BASS.

Sorry for the Tangent Airlines thing there but
YOU KNOW ME!

IP Logged

Rich
Ex Member

Reply #13 - 12/23/04 at 05:07:59
Quote Print Post  
Still on the meds huh Larry Shocked Shocked Shocked

Rich

IP Logged

SMITTY
Ex Member

Reply #14 - 12/23/04 at 16:01:17
Quote Print Post  
I'm not trying to split hairs with you over the value of fishing a BASS event Russ.  After all who am I to argue with a BASS Pro? Roll Eyes
I just think that for the cost of a week long trip to CA. to fish, more value and knowledge, plus all around fun can be had in a more economical way.  I could easily spend the amounts we are talking about and get several days on different bodies of water with the likes of Larry Hemphil, Andy Cucia, Dee Thomas, Dub LaShot, or Mike Folkstead.  What woud the return be?  Hard to quantify an experience with those folks in terms of fun and lessons learned, but certainly more than a gamble for 25 large. 8)
If the adrenelan rush of competition is what is being saught, then fishing a couple of WON Bass or 100% Bass "T"s against the CA competition can easily fill that nicth without the prospect of being "backseated" by someone who is an unknown advanced club angler from Fresno. ???
I guess I'm fortunate that my early experiences fishing with BASS back in the midwest in the late 70's was a good one. Smiley However, in watching how the BASS tournament events have progressed here in the west,  I find them to be  lacking in many of the rewards we look for in a tournament venues.   Undecided
For a big name circuit out west, I would actually lean a little bit toward the FLW, more correctly the Everstart series as it is currently fished in the west.  They just have to move a couple of their tournaments a little farther to the north.
For now I'll concentrate on the "T"s I think can give me the fun I really like.  WBC club events and the occasional Stratos Regional in CA or Angler's Choice on the Columbia River. Cheesy
Smitty
Wink

IP Logged

Bookmarks: del.icio.us Digg Facebook Google Google+ Linked in reddit StumbleUpon Twitter Yahoo