Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 3  ReplyAdd Poll Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) Riffe Lake/Swofford Pond (Read 15468 times)
jwalzer
Ex Member

Riffe Lake/Swofford Pond
09/02/04 at 23:29:26
Quote Print Post  
I was thinking of making a trip to Riffe lake and saw that Swofford Pond does not allow gas motors.  Does that mean that you can pull up your engine and troll around?

Is it worth making the trip down to Riffe at all?  I never really hear that much about it, but it seems like it must have some decent smallies.

-jw

IP Logged

S._Basser
Ex Member

Re: Riffe Lake/Swofford Pond
Reply #1 - 11/14/04 at 04:12:25
Quote Print Post  
Can't believe nobody answered this.  Shocked Swofford's reg appears to be a State Reg, so that means no gas engine on your boat, used or not. I've been on Swofford in a canoe, and wasn't impressed with the pond. It might be ok for topwaters at night or something, but basically, there's weeds, a steep bank and a shallow bank, and little else. One laydown in the water when I was there, we caught one fish off it, not a big deal, no desire to go back.   

Riffe is one of the coolest lakes in Western WA. Launch at Cosmos, put the electric down and fish. This is no place to go without a depth finder... and keep your eye on it. 
C&R, Steve

IP Logged

Admin
Forum Administrator

I love YaBB!

Reply #2 - 11/15/04 at 00:22:46
Quote Print Post  
Ya, Riffe is great if you're on crack!  LOL

I know, I know, some you guys just looooove Riffe, and that's fine.  Some of the lakes I love, others hate.  Riffe is one of those lakes I hate.  Too many dinks and too much wind.

....ya, I'm sure someone has to respond to this one.  Trust me, you aren't going to convince me it's anything else, and I don't want to get into a pissing fight.  But since this thread had somebody saying what a nice lake it is, I felt compelled to tell the other half of the story.

IP Logged

Sarge
Ex Member

Reply #3 - 11/15/04 at 02:35:42
Quote Print Post  
I hate Riffe Lake.

IP Logged

Larry S.
Ex Member

Reply #4 - 11/15/04 at 03:22:38
Quote Print Post  
Hope your attitude changes by June....as it stands we got all our lakes without conflict!

I LOVE RIFFE LAKE AND I DONT CARE WHO KNOWS IT!!

he he he Grin

IP Logged

S._Basser
Ex Member

Reply #5 - 11/15/04 at 05:51:16
Quote Print Post  
Well, I guess Riffe's a lake you love or hate. A lot of waters are that way, in fact. At Riffe, you can pretty much expect a wind from the East in the AM, changing to a West wind in the late morning. In between is when the fishing is best, but the catching sucks. Stay in the main lake, avoid hiding in those bays to get out of the wind. No fish there, too clear, too deep. Lots of structure to fish, or run aground on.
C&R, Steve

IP Logged

DUNE HOPPER
WBC Member

USMC Ret.  "Full Livewells,
I'll drink to that!"

Reply #6 - 11/15/04 at 14:45:13
Quote Print Post  
Riffe in June will be OK!

Smitty
Wink

Retired From Everything but Feeshin and doing April's bidding

IP Logged

Rob M.
Ex Member

Reply #7 - 11/15/04 at 18:01:09
Quote Print Post  
Well if it's not ok, I'll guess you (Smitty) and I will the first ones back drinking beers again like we did 2 years ago. I was at Riffe that one time for that tournament and didn't get a single tap for 2 days.

IP Logged

Nick
Ex Member

Reply #8 - 11/15/04 at 18:28:51
Quote Print Post  
Any Largemouth in Riffe?

IP Logged

DUNE HOPPER
WBC Member

USMC Ret.  "Full Livewells,
I'll drink to that!"

Reply #9 - 11/15/04 at 19:50:53
Quote Print Post  
I'm always up for a beer or three Rob. Grin  You should know that.
As for largemouth.  Nick I had my best day ever on LM at Riffe on July 8th 1999.  Grin  It was an extremely foggy morning, and until the fog lifted, I nailed fish after fish on topwater & jerkbaits.  I estimate I caught over 15 keeper LM in about 2 & 1/2 hours.  Shocked Shocked Rob Rinta from the St. helens Bass Club was also nailing them that day.  Then the wind came up and the fog lifted. Cry

Smitty
  Wink

Retired From Everything but Feeshin and doing April's bidding

IP Logged

RussBaker
Ex Member

Reply #10 - 11/15/04 at 20:05:28
Quote Print Post  
Swofford forget about it until spring. Riffe well well said by all. It can be tough and it can stink. Have had some of my best days out there as well as the worse. All I can say is good luck.
RB

IP Logged

Larry S.
Ex Member

Reply #11 - 11/16/04 at 01:24:20
Quote Print Post  
Personally.....as a fishing club, and a darn good one.......we should be selecting the toughest lakes to fish when we pick lakes....for two reasons.....

1). No competition for tourney dates......

2). Hard fishin makes better anglers!

O'Course.....I reserve the right to scream and moan first!
8)

IP Logged

Daryl_S.
Ex Member

Reply #12 - 11/16/04 at 17:00:47
Quote Print Post  
Nick

There are Largemouth at Riffe Lake. Matter of fact 2 years ago in November Chris Lambert and I fished the island at the west end. We caught some nice size largemouth in the 2-21/2lbs. range. We caught them on football head hula grubs.

As far as June goes the lake will be awesome. The fish should be spawning at this time.

I fished the lake this year in a tournament in July and caught a one day total of 13.6 lbs and won the tournament with Capital City Bass. My non-boater the day before caught 10lbs. The top Totals were 13.6lbs, 11lbs, and 10 lbs. I also heard from a guy that works at Auburn that there was a 7 pounder caught this year.

The fish are there you just have to find them. Just like every place else.

Daryl

IP Logged

Nick
Ex Member

Reply #13 - 11/16/04 at 17:50:59
Quote Print Post  
Hey Larry don't you think we should throw in a lake like a banks so that the newbys can get into the tournaments. WE've been talking about how their hasn't been as many people turning out for the tourneys in the past year. I mean why would you pay all that money to go to a hard lake to compete against all these excellent people in this club. Just give me a good explanation for this. It makes no sense to me. I would like a tourney for maybe confidence on banks. You see next year their might be a lot of people who'll get frustrated and give up on the tourneys by the end of the season. Yes having harder lakes will show who deserves to be angler of the year.

Just My 2 cents worth

IP Logged

Rob M.
Ex Member

Reply #14 - 11/16/04 at 19:38:08
Quote Print Post  
Well everyone has to start somwhere. We all started against people who fished tournaments longer and kicked our butts.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 3 
ReplyAdd Poll Send TopicPrint
Bookmarks: del.icio.us Digg Facebook Google Google+ Linked in reddit StumbleUpon Twitter Yahoo