Normal Topic North Wind! (Read 1812 times)
The_Rev.
Ex Member

North Wind!
08/19/04 at 04:33:18
Quote Print Post  
OK, someone explain this to me... for 13 years I've been trying to find exceptions to the fact that "Winds from the North" kill the fishing on Lake Washington.  On a rare occassion I've caught a few... but worked hard!  Most of the time a North wind is a killer!  Scientific explanation please....

Obviously it must be connected to pressure changes... or maybe you have a different theory. 

And why is it the little fish don't seem to be bothered by it, but the big guys do!  I took Richard out last night to do a little crankbait fishing - thinking that August night fishing ought to be great - it usually is!  But I didn't check the wind and of course it was from the north and it just shot the night to... well, except for the little buggers.  Caught them!  What's up?

IP Logged

Jim_Shaffer
Ex Member

Re: North Wind!
Reply #1 - 08/19/04 at 04:36:54
Quote Print Post  
The only thing I can think of with my vast knowledge is maybe current changes,

The north wind doesn't stir up enought bait fish to get them feeding.

Just a guess

IP Logged

Nick
Ex Member

Reply #2 - 08/19/04 at 05:07:11
Quote Print Post  
Well Rev. I think from taking a few weather classes and having to watch a berometer in class and pay attention to the wind and record all the findings! I believe that a north wind is a sign of a low preasure system moving through! Which could be your problem! And if I'm not mistake that makes the fish less active! Unless you have a ton of really hot days in a row and makes those fish move to shallower water for oxygen! Then it makes the fish more active from waht I've noticed when this happens pull out the topwater because their is nothing else like it!

Good luck

IP Logged

Rob M.
Ex Member

Reply #3 - 08/19/04 at 13:31:27
Quote Print Post  
Well when pressure starts to drop it triggers feeding. It isn't sure why, but theory has been that the fish anticipate several days of bad weather and feed for it. Once the pressure stabilizes, the fish should be back to normal. Pressure rising shuts them down too. Another theory is the pressure changes screws with thier swim bladder until they equal out...??

I've heard that wind doesn't even effect bait fish because they are strong enough to swim in what mild currents, if any, wind will produce. More importantly is the wind stirs plankton that baitfish feed on. This is what gathers them in the wind.

Why the north wind screws them up is beyond me. Like the saying, "wind from the east, fishing is the least." I'm sure that wind effects lakes differently in different parts of the country.

IP Logged

Larry S.
Ex Member

Reply #4 - 08/19/04 at 15:08:04
Quote Print Post  
Way to go Nick!....I too have a a weather class or two for fire weather forcasting and yes...an incoming low will start..(on the pacific) with a north wind and rotate to the east to south and predominately south/west.
This is what killed off our Night Fish-in as the pre-front conditions had elapsed and we were left with the post front recovery of the deep low pressure for a day or so till the fish get off the schnied!
Hopefully this incoming system will give us some pre-front conditions for pre-fishing at Roosevelt this weekend! Grin

IP Logged

Admin
Forum Administrator

I love YaBB!

Reply #5 - 08/19/04 at 20:19:19
Quote Print Post  
Doesn't a low pressure system rotate clockwise, and and a high pressure system counterclockwise?  It would seem to coincide with north/south wind fishing conditions.

IP Logged

Bookmarks: del.icio.us Digg Facebook Google Google+ Linked in reddit StumbleUpon Twitter Yahoo