Normal Topic Vantage this weekend (Read 4309 times)
champ206
Forum Member

Vantage this weekend
08/02/04 at 22:29:05
Quote Print Post  
My wife and I are going to fish the Columbia this weekend by Vantage. Does any body have any info on this area?
John

IP Logged

EX-PREZ
Ex Member

Re: Vantage this weekend
Reply #1 - 08/02/04 at 22:36:54
Quote Print Post  
Call Kirk!!!!   "GOTFIVE"  He's been living there the last month or so.  I envy the guy.  RON Grin

IP Logged

Larry S.
Ex Member

Reply #2 - 08/02/04 at 22:37:35
Quote Print Post  
check back in the archives John, there was several discussions about Vantage....Larry

IP Logged

Rob M.
Ex Member

Reply #3 - 08/03/04 at 13:34:36
Quote Print Post  
When I was there in June, and things are probably different now, I fished the west bank south of I-90. I found long, tapering flats with shallow, rocky banks. I had the boat in 3-4 ft of water where there was sand and scattered weed clumps. Fish were cruising all around there and fish were really shallow in the rocks. Spinnerbaits produced 4 quality smallies in the 45 minutes I was in that area.

IP Logged

DanH
Ex Member

Reply #4 - 08/26/04 at 17:15:22
Quote Print Post  
Is this still a good time to fish vantage?  I'm going to be over there for a week or so and would like to give it a go.

IP Logged

Chad S.
Ex Member

Reply #5 - 08/26/04 at 20:32:06
Quote Print Post  
Dan,
Anytime is a good time to fish vantage. Stay close to vantage however, because the winds can pick up anytime up there, and are nasty. Besides the best fishing in the wanapum pool is right around vantage. If you go south of the bridge I wouldnt recommend going to fast unless your on the east bank, because there are some bars that come out of nowhere.
c&r chad

IP Logged

gotfive
Ex Member

Reply #6 - 08/26/04 at 23:21:34
Quote Print Post  
Dan,
Don't be too afraid to venture south of I-90.  There is some outstanding fishing is this area.  As always, caution should be the rule, but some of the bars mentioned provide some of the best fishing, especially if they are pulling water out of the dam.  Don't worry, you will be able to tell by the current under the I-90 bridge if water is being pulled.  Usually very placid in this area. 
Kirk

IP Logged

Y2SAYS
Forum Administrator
WBC Member
WBC Board Member

Reply #7 - 08/27/04 at 23:47:13
Quote Print Post  
My friend and I went there a month ago for the first time and went north on the west side of the launch.  Threw 4" grubs along the shoreline and nailed 4 smallies from 1-3lbs.  Was only there for a couple of hours.  Let me know how it goes because I want to to hit it next month.

"Do or do not, there is no try"

IP Logged

DanH
Ex Member

Reply #8 - 09/06/04 at 21:06:43
Quote Print Post  
Last Tuesday my father in law and I hit Vantage at the I-90 bridge.  We caught 5 smallmouth most of which were pretty small.  We did each get one decent sized one each (~2lbs).    We were using shad raps, hotlips and mepps spinners.  We caught nearly all the fish directly under the bridge around 7 - 8 am. 

Any other lure suggestions or time to try other than early in the morning?  I'm heading back this weekend to give it another shot.

Dan

IP Logged

Larry S.
Ex Member

Reply #9 - 09/07/04 at 03:29:38
Quote Print Post  
A split shot senko or a carolina lizard........always a crowd pleaser there.
Green pumpkin and watermelenseed.
Remember...this is washington....only use a 1/4-3/8th oz egg sinker on the carolina rig!! too much weight is tooo much!!

IP Logged

Bookmarks: del.icio.us Digg Facebook Google Google+ Linked in reddit StumbleUpon Twitter Yahoo