Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) Where to go? (Read 5061 times)
Y2SAYS
Forum Administrator
WBC Member
WBC Board Member

Where to go?
07/09/04 at 20:00:37
Quote Print Post  
My friend and I are heading to the east side of the state on the 20th and 21st and was wondering where to go.  He used to fish at Scooteney a long time ago, but how is it now?  What about banks, potholes or moses lake?

"Do or do not, there is no try"

IP Logged

Nick
Ex Member

Re: Where to go?
Reply #1 - 07/09/04 at 20:22:55
Quote Print Post  
Personally I would go to banks for a numbers fishery as I learned at the Banks tourney or I would go to Roosevelt for numbers! But if I was after some big ones and a dicent amountof fish I would choose potholes I had some good luck their over the past year!

IP Logged

RussBaker
Ex Member

Reply #2 - 07/09/04 at 22:32:27
Quote Print Post  
Y2,

Roosevelt !!! can't beat the top water action in the morning on the flats. Scenery is awesome and for quality fish fish in the 20-40 ft zone with jerk baits and zoom lizards.
Russ

IP Logged

SMITTY
Ex Member

Reply #3 - 07/10/04 at 14:06:26
Quote Print Post  
Scooteny is a GREAT fishery that offers a chance for SM, LM, and Walleye.  there is some great structure un the lake that allows you to fish several patterns in a short time.  The lake is not noted for pigs, but then neither is Banks or Roosevelt.  Addtionally Scooteny doesn't receive very much tournament pressure.  It's location allow an easy switch to Potholes or moses if you want to change.

Smitty
  Wink

IP Logged

Y2SAYS
Ex Member

Reply #4 - 07/10/04 at 14:58:14
Quote Print Post  
Smitty...that's what I was thinking.  I was trying to do some research on it, but information is very limited.  Doesn't seem like there's a lot of people that knows about it including myself.  Guess I'll give it a shot and if there's no action we can just head over to the potholes or something.  Thanks for the help.

IP Logged

Admin
Forum Administrator

I love YaBB!

Reply #5 - 07/11/04 at 00:05:37
Quote Print Post  
Scootney is a great lake and fun to fish, but bring a good topo map with you if you're unfamiliar with the lake.  There's a lot of prop-busting rocks in seemingly safe places.  Most of them are lurking just under the surface, just waiting to eat your lower unit.  Shocked

Again, great lake, have fun - just get a good map and exercise caution.

IP Logged

SMITTY
Ex Member

Reply #6 - 07/11/04 at 13:43:42
Quote Print Post  
DOUBLE DITTOS TO GLENN'S ADVISE!! Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked

Smitty
Wink

IP Logged

Larry S.
Ex Member

Reply #7 - 07/12/04 at 03:36:07
Quote Print Post  
Also no POWER....bring a generator while you're at it!

IP Logged

gotfive
Ex Member

Reply #8 - 07/12/04 at 22:54:24
Quote Print Post  
Fish current.  I would stay in the main current of the canal at the entrance tot he second lake all the way down to the entrance to the third lake.  I do well tossing 176 grubs on a leadhead (bring lots) and simply fishing the main current and the rocky shoreline.  I have seen 5lb fish taken here, so be ready.  This is one of my favorite fisheries.
Kirk

IP Logged

Y2SAYS
Ex Member

Reply #9 - 07/13/04 at 00:15:06
Quote Print Post  
Thanks for all advices.  I'll take them enter consideration when I'm out there.  Already making a list of what to bring.   Cheesy

IP Logged

REDCHAMP
Ex Member

Reply #10 - 07/15/04 at 04:16:37
Quote Print Post  
I like Scootenay. Always get some fish and like Smitty says, chance of 3 - 4 species.
Also like Glenn says, watch out. I left a lower unit there once.
RC

IP Logged

REDCHAMP
Ex Member

Reply #11 - 07/15/04 at 04:19:23
Quote Print Post  
One more thing, throw a white or chartreuse spinnerbait with gold blades if there's any wind at all. By the way: It's Kirk's favorite bait there.
RC

IP Logged

Y2SAYS
Forum Administrator
WBC Member
WBC Board Member

Reply #12 - 07/16/04 at 19:04:24
Quote Print Post  
Spinnerbait...got em.  Anyone have a topo map of the lake?  Been trying to find one, but none around.

"Do or do not, there is no try"

IP Logged

Bookmarks: del.icio.us Digg Facebook Google Google+ Linked in reddit StumbleUpon Twitter Yahoo