Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) Bass vs. Walleye (Read 4949 times)
Mike_W
Ex Member

Bass vs. Walleye
06/06/04 at 04:34:37
Quote Print Post  
The other day I got in a nice little talk with a guy about keeping fish. Bass to be exact.  He was saying that they taste great and he really liked them. He told me that they were getting some nice ones out of the potholes. So I told him that he should release them and go for walleye. I said that the walleye is a much tastier fish and he should target them. He called me on it though. He knew that I was  a tourney angler and did not care about the taste. I just don't like to see Bass kept.

So heres my question. Why do people frown on keeping bass and not walleye? I know that I have talked to guys that would never keep a bass but would keep walleye. Why is that? Do walleye anlgers keep walleye? If they are catch and release walleye guys do they keep bass if they have a incidental catch?

I am not asking this to stir the pot of members. I just would like some other POV so I can be more prepared for next time. I hate being stumped. I felt pretty dumb when I could not explain it to him. I hate that.

Mike

IP Logged

Sarge
Ex Member

Re: Bass vs. Walleye
Reply #1 - 06/06/04 at 04:46:23
Quote Print Post  
Mike,

I think the reason is as simple as you stated. In general, tournament anglers just don't like to see bass kept. Of course, there are walleye tournament fishermen, but they do not preach the catch and release ethic like bass organizations have over the years. I believe it has been only recently that major walleye tournaments have started to enforce a dead fish penalty.

My personal opinion is that In-Fisherman has had it right for a long time. If you want to eat fish, keep what you can eat and release the rest. If everyone followed this, we would still have excellent fish populations. We may even have BETTER bass populations in lakes where there are a lot of small bass.

Chris

IP Logged

Larry S.
Ex Member

Reply #2 - 06/06/04 at 15:57:34
Quote Print Post  
I think the same way that we protect what we love but on the flip side I too have had Bass and it is very tasty at an event where we had a massive fish kill...Jamborree during the storm several years ago......as for Walleye I attended a Walleye club meeting last year and heard that they have a fish fry after each event so it is almost ettiquitte for them to have fish  but is particular to each club.
Ethics has to stand in somewhere and when other clubs are present say at Banks or Potholes when there might be a Walleye event it would be impressed upon us to not keep THEIR FISH without expecting them to keep OUR FISH. my 2-3/4 cents worth.....

IP Logged

S._Basser
Ex Member

Reply #3 - 06/06/04 at 17:16:24
Quote Print Post  
Why would anybody fish for Walleye and then turn them loose alive? They don't fight worth a darn. Maybe it is just the challenge of getting them to bite, or to get one over the minimum length? I consider my season a success if I don't catch a trout, walleye, perch or squawfish. This year has already been ruined by a perch and two squawfish. At least, I haven't caught a trout.  Wink Carp are almost ok, at least they fight good.
C&R, Steve

IP Logged

ryoki
Ex Member

Reply #4 - 06/06/04 at 17:43:44
Quote Print Post  
First time postie here. I miss the taste of bass. Sigh. But for a great fillet, a nice walleye is even better. Would make nice fish-n-chips. Walleye have such a dead bite...drag up like a lifeless branch, and take one last dive down. weird. Brian and I do not keep bass since we joined the club, but I think a rule of thumb some people use is to keep 1-2 lb-ers. I read once (bassmasters?) that this culls out the smaller size fish,which  allows others to grow larger. This may no longer be taught, though, and regs may have changed on size limits. Our main rule, whether slimers, salmon, walleye, etc is only keep what you will eat. I am very spoiled once I found out that the only great tasting fish is fish that was swimming an hour ago! Oh, and NO SLIMERS THAT WERE FARM RAISED>..yuck! Pasty white fleshy things! Tongue

IP Logged

Rich
Ex Member

Reply #5 - 06/06/04 at 18:00:29
Quote Print Post  
"yuck! Pasty white fleshy things"   

Hhhmmm, Virgil is he talking about your legs?  BTW, good job at the Fishing Kids event.

Rich

IP Logged

S._Basser
Ex Member

Reply #6 - 06/06/04 at 22:40:05
Quote Print Post  
Remembering the 12"-17" Statewide Slot Limit for Bass, hopefully the bass kept will be under 12", generally below one pound. That would be a good thing in many waters. Those little guys eat a lot and burn it up doing silly things, like chasing Virgil's white spinnerbaits.  Undecided
C&R, Steve

IP Logged

The_Rev.
Ex Member

Reply #7 - 06/07/04 at 00:32:16
Quote Print Post  
As to the taste, I talked to a professional chef who told me that the walleye are one of the best fish to work with in the fancy resteraunts because the flesh tends to take on the taste of whatever spices and ingredients are used.  Therefore the walleye can be fixed many different ways with a variety of excellent results.  Bass (while good) do not tend to lend itself to the same variety of results.

But let's face it, who of us have not had a bass or two that died in the live well or got foul-hooked (in the gills) and ended up in the frying pan since it was doomed to die anyway.  And... admit it - it was good!  

Here's my theory on why walleye fishermen tend to keep theirs and bass fishermen don't.  First, the two kinds of fishing styles tend to attract different kinds of personalities.  The walleye guys love fishing, but they don't tend to want to work so hard for it.  They like the idea of trolling, and sitting back in their chairs, sipping on their favorite beverage, and telling fishing stories.  And yes, when they catch fish - their "fishing culture" has no hesitation about eating them.

Bass fisherman however tends to attract the Type-A kind of personalities who enjoy the chess game of bass fishing.  Win or loose, they like casting, changing gear, adjusting to conditions, etc..  It's not the eating of the fish that is our reward, it's winning the game!  And... our "fishing culture" is more concerned about fooling our quarry than eating it.

Hey, Sarge - maybe you can tell me if this is true:  I heard that a trout in the Northwest can grow up to 12 inches in a year because it is unaffected by cold water and continues to eat year round and therefore grows throughout the winter.  But it takes 5 years to grow a 12 inch bass here in Washington because it's metabolism slows down dramatically during the cold water winter months.  Is this true?  (5 years seems to be stretching it a little) but I've heard bass guys use this to justify not taking bass home because it takes so long to replace the resource.

Which leads to my second question; is the walleye's metabolism in winter closer to the trout or the bass?  Do they grow faster?

IP Logged

Sarge
Ex Member

Reply #8 - 06/07/04 at 01:10:01
Quote Print Post  
Hi Rev,

I think I can shed some light on your questions...

12 inch growth rates over a year are probably a stretch in most instances for NW trout. But, 6 to 8 inches per year is pretty common, and that is a lot faster than our bass. The thing to remember about trout in most of our waters is that they usually don't have a good place to reproduce in lowland lakes (colder, flowing water, gravel), so usually they can only sustain fisheries when they are stocked.

12 inch bass are around 3-5 years old in WA state, and there doesn't seem to be much difference between eastern and western WA. Looking at some past reports I have, 4 years would be about average, and 6 is possible, but only in really poor conditions (bad water quality or lack of food).

As far as the slow growth rate justifying why we need to put bass back... I would disagree with those folks in most instances. Bass produce a LOT of offspring, and they mature at an average rate compared to the rest of the fish world. Usually, food becomes the limiting factor for predator (bass) success in a lake. If there is a lot of food, then a lot of those small fish can grow together. If there is limited food, then we need to crop some of those smaller bass to limit competition. I believe this is the driving concept behind the statewide slot limit. Limiting food is a common case in WA state. The warmwater folks that work with this stuff every day may disagree, but I think I am on the same page as them.

"I love hearing myself type." Grin

I would say that walleye metabolism is closer to trout than bass in the wintertime. I say this because they spawn at lower water temperatures than bass and at almost the same time as most trout in local streams.

Chris

IP Logged

Larry S.
Ex Member

Reply #9 - 06/07/04 at 01:37:31
Quote Print Post  
So basicly Chris....If I were a Largemouth with my size taken into account and a relative genous attatched...I would be a Florida Strain Largemouth surrounded by Shad and with a double spawn cycle in the middle of Lake Okeechobee?..........

Maybe I better have a crew truck me to North Dakota and put me in a sterile pond made from a soy bean field!
Tongue Tongue Tongue

IP Logged

Mike_W
Ex Member

Reply #10 - 06/07/04 at 02:30:16
Quote Print Post  
All great answers to a tough question. I basically feel the same way as Rev. With out sounding cocky or conceded I believe it is the class of people. Your "assosiation" if you would. Not that one is better then the next. I think it is great there are different types of anglers out there.

You could also compare the fly-guys to the bait-guys. Or the rifflemen to the arrowmen.

IP Logged

Sarge
Ex Member

Reply #11 - 06/07/04 at 03:18:27
Quote Print Post  
Let's just say this, Larry. If I saw you on a bed, I would definitely spend some time trying to catch you...

Grin

IP Logged

Admin
Forum Administrator

I love YaBB!

Reply #12 - 06/07/04 at 03:35:43
Quote Print Post  
Too much information, Chris!  Oh my virgin ears - la la la, I hear no-thing!   Shocked Shocked

IP Logged

Sarge
Ex Member

Reply #13 - 06/07/04 at 13:55:31
Quote Print Post  
Upon re-reading my post, I have now decided that it would have been impossible for me to write anything more embarassing!  Roll Eyes

IP Logged

The_Rev.
Ex Member

Reply #14 - 06/07/04 at 14:35:24
Quote Print Post  
Embarassing yes... but extremely funny!

IP Logged

Bookmarks: del.icio.us Digg Facebook Google Google+ Linked in reddit StumbleUpon Twitter Yahoo