Normal Topic Painting worm weights? (Read 3658 times)
Spivv
Ex Member

Painting worm weights?
05/20/04 at 21:36:22
Quote Print Post  
I was curious if any of you guys paint your bullet leads. I know they have colored ones now but I have a lot of natural lead ones and am tempted to paint them. When I've got a texas rigged black worm on my line and a big'ol silver weight on top, I start thinking that it might be messing up my presentation. I know it's been done this way for awhile now but change can be good Wink. I thought fingernail polish would be good but it might be a pollutant for the lakes. Any experience out there on this subject??
TY Wade

IP Logged

Rwfaz
Ex Member

Re: Painting worm weights?
Reply #1 - 05/20/04 at 21:41:18
Quote Print Post  
I saw an item on TV recently and I think it was Woo Daves, he had this powder that you dip your weight in and then you use a lighter and the powder melts into a durable coating. He was actually colouring the weights while out in the boat. I don't know who or what...but I'll see if I can find out.

Faz

IP Logged

Dave_Jarrell
Ex Member

Reply #2 - 05/20/04 at 21:46:58
Quote Print Post  
Auburn sports and marine has some.  I think you just heat the jig head up and dip it in.  I also think sometimes may make a difference and other times it wont.   Just based on how aggressive or spooky the fish are at the time.

IP Logged

Spivv
Ex Member

Reply #3 - 05/21/04 at 14:22:25
Quote Print Post  
TY guys. That sounds pretty cool. The fish in Serene Lake are very spooky. I guess you'd have to be spooky in order to be 4 to 5 lbs in a 42 acre lake! I've seen them spawning and they are driving me INSANE!! I got a smaller one (2.2 lbs) to attack a lizard I set directly on its bed.

IP Logged

Rob M.
Ex Member

Reply #4 - 05/21/04 at 15:34:58
Quote Print Post  
I actully ordered that stuff from Bass Pro Shops like 2 years ago. It works great. I can't think of the name off hand, but it has what looks like, a walleye head on the front. It takes a little practice to get the lead just the right temp. Too hot and you melt the lead. Not hot enough, the finish wont be nice and shiny. It will be rougher like a fine sandpaper. AHHH..Powder Tec is the name. This is the stuff Faz saw. Daves used a toothpick to hold bullet weights and color them. I use it mostly on various jig heads. It colors fast and cools quick so you can use it immediatley. I have never tried the paint style lead coloring.

IP Logged

FlyinFish77
Ex Member

Reply #5 - 06/15/04 at 15:17:07
Quote Print Post  
Sounds great. How much is the stuff, if you can remember, and do they have decent colors?

IP Logged

Rob M.
Ex Member

Reply #6 - 06/15/04 at 15:39:56
Quote Print Post  
It's not expensive 3-5 bucks I think. yes they have standard colors which are all you really need. Black, blue, orange, red, brown and white are a few. I think they have a pearl also. I use brown and black more than anything. They are great for jigheads.

IP Logged

Bookmarks: del.icio.us Digg Facebook Google Google+ Linked in reddit StumbleUpon Twitter Yahoo