Normal Topic May1st Potholes Update (Read 3900 times)
dgarrett
Ex Member

May1st Potholes Update
05/02/04 at 03:37:46
Quote Print Post  
Hey Guys,

Wow, I just had 2 very humbling days of fishing on Potholes. I haven't fished there this time of year before, so I'm not sure if these conditions are normal or not. Basically, the water level is way up from what it was 2 weeks ago, and extremely clear (>15 feet visibility in places). Water temps were around in 60 in the morning, and 65 in places by midafternoon. The high water has fish back in the thick stiff for the most part. The beaver hut pattern is definitely operating again, and flooded brush near spawning flats was holding good fish. All the fish came from 2-6 feet of water, and I didn't see anything that looked like it was close to spawning....it's just too early. Only caught 6 all day yesterday after a very difficult first day...most were nice fish (2-3 lbs), but few and far between. I couldn't find any concentrations, just one or two here and there. Water clarity made fish extremely spooky, and they just weren't chasing anything (slug-gos, flukes, spinnerbaits, topwater, you name it). Caught all my fish flipping tiki sticks, my dad did get one to hit a floating rapala....i just hope we do better for the tournament next weekend....hope y'all are enjoying this awesome weather!

Tight Lines,
Danny

IP Logged

gotfive
Ex Member

Re: May1st Potholes Update
Reply #1 - 05/03/04 at 14:28:22
Quote Print Post  
Hit Potholes on May 2nd.  Had an incredible day with the family!!  Caught 12 fish and nothing under 3 lbs.  Liz and I went back to back on 5 lb largies!!  Photo proof coming soon!!  Doug is right that the water is back up, but still below normal for this time of year.  All fish caught on brush hogs and beaver huts were productive, although we did catch all the cruisers that we saw.  The only difference between previous post and our experience was that most of the fish were VERY aggressive.  Lot's of fun!!  We will be back on the reservoir on Saturday.  Thought about pre-fishing tri-cities, this is just too much fun to miss out on the May fishing.
Kirk

IP Logged

dgarrett
Ex Member

Reply #2 - 05/04/04 at 02:16:25
Quote Print Post  
Kirk,

I was impressed by your email....we fished a lot of great-looking huts, but certainly didn't find the fish you did....maybe you could help me out....were you flipping or making long casts to those huts (the fish seemed very spooky)? also, were you fishing small brushogs or the big boys, texas rigged or weightless? I think we have some productive spots, because the fish we caught were good fish, but we just couldn't find any numbers. Given that we have the NW Bass tourney this weekend, any suggestions you could provide would be greatly appreciated. Send any GPS coordinates you have to dgarrett@u.washington.edu   Grin only joking of course. Thanks Kirk.

Danny

IP Logged

gotfive
Ex Member

Reply #3 - 05/04/04 at 13:26:28
Quote Print Post  
I will add this.  The furhter back in the dunes we went, the fewer big fish we found.  Water clarity declined and so did the size of the fish.  I dropped the trolling motor at the first hut I found entering the dunes from the main lake and found them.  I cannot explain why good anglers refuse to fish up close to the main lake.  Must like to burn gas and drive fast, including myself.  My tip would be to fish out near the main lake on huts that are surrounded by good willow structure in the center of the lake.
Kirk

IP Logged

dgarrett
Ex Member

Reply #4 - 05/05/04 at 00:36:55
Quote Print Post  
Thanks Kirk,

Maybe I'll see you out there on Sat. We'll just fish the moment, stay versatile, and hopefully run into them. Regardless of our weight, it will be a lot of fun trying. I'll let you know how everything pans out.

Tight Lines,
Danny

IP Logged

S._Basser
Ex Member

Reply #5 - 05/06/04 at 01:05:35
Quote Print Post  
I just copied and pasted this bit of info off of the iFish.net forum. Thought you Mardonites might find it useful info, esp. for the T this weekend.
"I was there last weekend. The docks are gone for the most part. The wind broke off major sections and smashed them up on the dam. The first section from shore is intact out to about 150ft. The rest is just a few floating sections that you cannot access from shore. They had a walleye tournament and the boats just came in to weigh fish a few at a time. It looked like a real mess to me. I would bet they will get a few more section back together this week. But it will be a major chore." 
C&R, Steve

IP Logged

gotfive
Ex Member

Reply #6 - 05/07/04 at 14:10:58
Quote Print Post  
That was not situation at all at Potholes last weekend.  Frankly it was a little breezy, but I did not witness damage like that and I was in that area all day.
Kirk

IP Logged

SMITTY
Ex Member

Reply #7 - 05/07/04 at 15:59:44
Quote Print Post  
I just heard the same damage info from someone who was there last Sunday.  ???

Smitty
Wink

IP Logged

RussBaker
Ex Member

Reply #8 - 05/07/04 at 21:47:57
Quote Print Post  
I don't know where Kirk was on the lake but I had a buddy go there that weekend and he said the same thing. The dock is almost totalled.
Russ

IP Logged

dgarrett
Ex Member

Reply #9 - 05/09/04 at 05:46:08
Quote Print Post  
Hey Guys,

Well, the NW Bass Tourney was difficult for my Dad and I this year. I caught a 4 pounder and my Dad caught a 2 pounder early in the morning on our favorite beaver hut....but after that it was a dismal day. 25 mph wind gusts made our other huts almost unfishable, and my tiki-stick approach was shot. Topwater and spinnerbaits produced nothing, and luck was just not running for us. Everyone had a tough day, but many managed good stringers, many including nice smallies from Lind Coulie. I guess you can't win 'em all....having only fished the lake 4 times, I think we just need more time to expand on our knowledge of the lake. As far as the wind storm that broke the docks apart...that occurred before Kirk and I fished it last weekend, and looks like everything is back to normal.

Tight Lines,
Danny

IP Logged

Bookmarks: del.icio.us Digg Facebook Google Google+ Linked in reddit StumbleUpon Twitter Yahoo