Normal Topic Flourescent Lines (Read 2002 times)
The_Rev.
Ex Member

Flourescent Lines
04/23/04 at 02:51:47
Quote Print Post  
I spent a day last week in which my 6lb clear line just plain disappeared after the cast, and I couldn't see it twitch when they hit.  This is rare for me - though I fear it might have something to do with aging eyes.  I'd rather think it might have been a rare combination of the light and water color, but it got me to wondering about the controversy about flourescent lines.

Some fishermen (especially in clear water) claim that super clear florocarbons are needed to keep the fish from seeing the line at all.  Whereas a small number of fishermen claim they think that flourescent line is actually an attraction to fish.  And they claim bright yellow or blue or green line makes it easy to "line watch." 

Others use a leader of clear line on the flourescent.  Strange that I haven't explored this before - so let me ask you what your experience is with flourescent lines.  Good or bad?  Limitations?

IP Logged

The_Rev.
Ex Member

Re: Flourescent Lines
Reply #1 - 05/01/04 at 14:49:52
Quote Print Post  
Are you telling me no one in the club is using this line?  Or are you trying to keep a secret "secret"?  Cough it up!  Confession is good for the soul!  (Besides, if I get to heaven before you do, some of you are going to want me on gate duty to help you get in!)  So the topic: Flourescent lines... talk among your selves.

IP Logged

S._Basser
Ex Member

Reply #2 - 05/01/04 at 20:42:17
Quote Print Post  
I'll bite, Chuck. The brand of line I like doesn't come in Flourescent. I usually test one or two other brands of line each year, tho I'm happy with what I normally use. This year, as most years, those lines are also not available in flourescent. I had a terrible time with the silver and the green lines, just couldn't see them. I changed to "clear", and so far am getting along well enough with them. I haven't found a "super line" I like, after trying several. There's no free lunch.
C&R, Steve

IP Logged

RussBaker
Ex Member

Reply #3 - 05/03/04 at 02:11:08
Quote Print Post  
Chuck,
I use P-Line Flourocarbon for Smallie fishin in 8-10lb. It is nearly invisible under the water, has little stretch, extremely abrasion resistant, and is very sensitive. Have been very pleased with it. Sometimes I will use it as a leader for carolina rigging if it is not allready tied onto the entire spool.
Russ

IP Logged

Bookmarks: del.icio.us Digg Facebook Google Google+ Linked in reddit StumbleUpon Twitter Yahoo