Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) Who fishes Worms? (Read 4263 times)
Jim_Shaffer
Ex Member

Who fishes Worms?
04/19/04 at 16:05:45
Quote Print Post  
Just curious how many people use worms on a regular basis?

IP Logged

Rob M.
Ex Member

Re: Who fishes Worms?
Reply #1 - 04/19/04 at 16:18:11
Quote Print Post  
I use worms almost everytime I dropshop. Usually smaller 4 inch worms. I havne't texas-rigged them like I did a lot in San Diego. I planned on using that technique more this year. Split-shotting them works good too.

IP Logged

SMITTY
Ex Member

Reply #2 - 04/19/04 at 17:16:45
Quote Print Post  
All the time. Grin  Usually I use more 4" Mustang worms than 6" of any type.  However, there are times that larger worms are sometimes called for.
Take this coming weekend at Silver Lk. for example; I'll be fishing--- Roll Eyes

Smitty
Wink

IP Logged

Daryl_S.
Ex Member

Reply #3 - 04/19/04 at 17:51:49
Quote Print Post  
Smitty,

Did you look in my boat at the launch on Sunday?

Daryl

IP Logged

SMITTY
Ex Member

Reply #4 - 04/19/04 at 19:10:59
Quote Print Post  
Nope.  I didn't even get close to it ???.

Smitty
Wink

IP Logged

S._Basser
Ex Member

Reply #5 - 04/20/04 at 02:52:40
Quote Print Post  
I tend to fish Tubes, Lizards and Senkos a lot, with plastic craws being 4th, reepers and straight tailed worms being about 5th & 6th. Depending on where I'm going, I will probably have some worms in the boat. Somewhere. The 4" Ringworm is a great bait, regardless of who makes it.
C&R, Steve

IP Logged

gotfive
Ex Member

Reply #6 - 04/20/04 at 22:49:24
Quote Print Post  
I fish the Berkely 7" Power Worm in Blue Fleck and regular Black for 75% of my pitching.  I fish creature baits most of the rest of the time.  I am very confident and succesful at using the old standard.  According to some reports, 75% of all bass caught in the US are caught using the ol' rubber worm....

Kirk

IP Logged

virgilw
Ex Member

Reply #7 - 04/21/04 at 01:57:02
Quote Print Post  
I still like worms, during the heat of the summer I still like my ten inch black worms, I have caught some big fish on them!

IP Logged

Hawkeye
Ex Member

Reply #8 - 04/21/04 at 02:21:15
Quote Print Post  
I always keep my "Flippin Stick"  nearby with a Texas Rigged 4" Ring Worm tied on. If I miss a Bass near a stump or a log I always go back and hit it with the worm and most of the time Mr. Bass will hit it.

Don,

IP Logged

The_Rev.
Ex Member

Reply #9 - 04/22/04 at 02:32:19
Quote Print Post  
One of my all time favorite things to throw for small mouth is a 4 inch ribbon tail worm on Lake Washington.  (Larry Gonczy put me on to this years ago.)  We used to use small mushroom head jigs, but now I use as small a cone weight as I can get buy with. (Texas rig.)  I took several 3 1/2 pounders last Monday in 8 feet of water.  But it works best in summer along the weed lines! 

The ribbon tail is not as erractic as the curly tail - so it's more subtle and less threatening for pre-spawn fish which tend to be spooky.  The fish I caught on Lake Morton came on that same set up.  Again, the key is the light weight. 

Kalin used to make the best ribbontail, but they discontinued it.  Zoom now has one that is pretty darn good.  I like the June Bug color in the summer.

Another thing I do, (for all of you who have put your Rev-rigs away until next winter), is to swap out the cranks for 4 inch worms and run the Rev-rig during the summer out in 20-30 feet out on the flats.  I use a double rig - one at 2 foot, and another at 4 foot.  Use two different colors to see which one they want.  Grubs work too.

IP Logged

Admin
Forum Administrator

I love YaBB!

Reply #10 - 04/22/04 at 02:59:02
Quote Print Post  
Geez Chuck, give away the farm why don't ya!   Wink  Sheesh, I thought I my secret stash of Kalin 4" ribbon tails was a well-kept trick. *sigh*   Smiley

That said, I always have a worm of some sort tied on throughout the year.  The above Kalins is one type. 6" Ringworms are another, and 7" chicken-foot worms are another - especially in the spring.  I'll use straight-tails on drop-shot and split-shot rigs (although my first choice is 3" grubs on split-shot).

Always have some sort of plastic on deck, ready to throw, when using topwater baits - to throw in if a bass blows up on your bait but misses.

Heck, 2 years ago at Potholes, that was part of my pattern - only slightly different.  Some bass were following and/or "tagging" my spinnerbait but not getting hooked.  I threw in worms right were I saw the bass follow, or where the strike occured - bam!  Bass.  Grin

IP Logged

Bookmarks: del.icio.us Digg Facebook Google Google+ Linked in reddit StumbleUpon Twitter Yahoo