Normal Topic Storm lures (Read 3117 times)
mattemrich
Ex Member

Storm lures
02/21/04 at 04:20:35
Quote Print Post  
One more question- Whats the word on these "Storm" cranks? Any good? I have access to some, but i just need to know if they're worth it.

IP Logged

Larry S.
Ex Member

Re: Storm lures
Reply #1 - 02/22/04 at 03:12:15
Quote Print Post  
Hey Matt....good "Q" as for an answer....well it is up to what you want to do with ANY crankbait....almost all brands make all depth cranks...I like to mix them as for brands like Rapala Jerk baits and Husky Jerks for shallow or stick bait applications and Luhr Jenson for deep diver applications but also like Bandit Cranks for small speedy shallow cranks....the "Q" might be three phase........
Color.....(seasonal with forage and cover)

Depth....(top water...shallow...twitch or stick....jointed...deep....suspending...sinking)

Speed...(Slow...med....fast....and do you need to get a different reel to compensate?)
Yes it is deeper than you feared but most of all you need to go with what gives confidence so check out one of our crank boxes and see what appels to ya and give them a cast...Yes ask first!!Larry.

IP Logged

mattemrich
Ex Member

Reply #2 - 02/22/04 at 04:12:44
Quote Print Post  
Thanks Larry, I'll be sure to check out your box (of cranks) next time we go out. (fishing) I'll need you to take a look at what i've got as well, to see what to keep and what is junk. Ever heard of "possum" lures? I just found a box of 'em.

IP Logged

Doug_Booth
Ex Member

Reply #3 - 02/23/04 at 07:54:12
Quote Print Post  
Hey Matt, I do a bunch of crankbait fishing.  I'd be happy to give you some ideas about them and look at what you have.  I have one Possum crankbait, but I can't get it to run true so I don't use it.  What model of
Storm lures are they?

IP Logged

S._Basser
Ex Member

Reply #4 - 02/24/04 at 06:08:55
Quote Print Post  
I used to use some of the "Wart" series. Did catch some fish, but they don't run very consistently, turn upside down during the last quick part of the retreive and some strange things like that. I like the Excalibur Fat Free Shad in Crawdad for a fairly deep crank. They seem to run great, right out of the pack.  I admit that I am not a crankin' kinda guy. Still, when it's summer and there's a squall coming in, it's time to get out a crank or spinner. The Rapala and other Pradco stuff works well also. I do  prefer plastic cranks to wood ones. They'll bounce off a concrete bridge piling without more than a tiny paint chip. The wood ones will be damaged, and will then either break or soak up water. I would prefer to have plastic cranks without rattles, if I could. I like stuff that's pretty snag resistant...less frustrating, less work, fewer spooked fish, etc....Plastics!  
C&R, Steve

IP Logged

Bookmarks: del.icio.us Digg Facebook Google Google+ Linked in reddit StumbleUpon Twitter Yahoo