Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) whacky rigging? (Read 11105 times)
Admin
Forum Administrator

I love YaBB!

Re: whacky rigging?
Reply #15 - 03/04/04 at 17:03:40
Quote Print Post  

IP Logged

Rwfaz
Ex Member

Reply #16 - 03/04/04 at 20:57:07
Quote Print Post  
available from where?? How much?? Is this your invention? Looks cool!

IP Logged

Ryan
Ex Member

Reply #17 - 03/04/04 at 21:21:31
Quote Print Post  
The Wacky-Tool is available at www.northernbass.com for 9.95

IP Logged

S._Basser
Ex Member

whacky rigging
Reply #18 - 03/05/04 at 02:23:38
Quote Print Post  
Faz, that's the same link I posted in Post #7!  Shocked I must say, tho, that the "Green Pumpkin" links don't show up very well to my eyes. Maybe Glenn could be induced to change it to something like "Morning Dawn" 8)?
C&R, Steve

Or maybe I'll do this:
« Last Edit: 03/07/04 at 20:49:53 by »  

IP Logged

S._Basser
Ex Member

http://www.ifish.net/sfwackhookRe: whacky rigging?
Reply #19 - 03/21/04 at 00:09:13
Quote Print Post  
  There is a picture of the Gamakatsu Whacky hook that Larry G. mentioned. As this is not a "circle hook", a regular "cross their eyes" hookset should work, maybe at the expense of being a bit more snag-prone. I'll have to try it, if I can find some.
C&R, Steve
http://www.ifish.net/sfwackhook1.jpg

Edit: I found some of these hooks at the GI Joe's on Benson Rd., E. Kent. Auburn S&M has more sizes, tho. Note that if you check at SPORTCO in Fife, if they don't have what you want on the shelf, you can talk to the clerk, get them paid for, and walk 'round back to the Gamakatsu Warehouse customer pickup door, and get your goods.
« Last Edit: 03/28/04 at 19:40:02 by »  

IP Logged

Rob M.
Ex Member

Reply #20 - 04/14/04 at 13:25:03
Quote Print Post  
I've caught my last two 4 lbers skipping wacky rigged senkos. One under a dock and one just to the bank. Skipping is a good technique in all water, not just to get under cover. The skipping bait looks like scattering bait and can attract fish. I would imagine skipping baits would work in areas were topwater fish are hitting.

IP Logged

marktfd88
Ex Member

Reply #21 - 04/14/04 at 15:28:54
Quote Print Post  
As some of you that have fished with me, ie Bill B, I have alot of confidence in the wacky rigged senko.  Potholes tourney last year, I caught 90 % of my fish with a special Mustad weedless hook with a wacky rigged senko.  I have shown some this hook.  It very weedless, I was pitchin it into thick brush in the dunes for two limits of Largemouth on day 1 of the tourney.  It is OK for skipping, but does have a tendancy to just plunge into the water if not skipped from a good skipping cast.  What I liked about the special hook, is the weedless characteristics and the little extra weight in the bend of the hook to help get the senko to the bottom.  I then just SLOWLY crank it along the bottom.  Not hopping or twitching it.  Just slowly turn the reel handle over to move it.  VERY deadly on smallmouth.  Hope that helps.
Mark

IP Logged

S._Basser
Ex Member

Reply #22 - 05/16/04 at 02:31:01
Quote Print Post  
Have had three outtings on Lk. WA and most of a week over at Palmer. Did a lot of Senko fishing, and have reached the conclusion that when there is a decent ripple on the water, it's time to Whacky rig. If the wind calms, and the water smooths, nose hook the Senko.

I had much better results with the Whacky rig than nose hooked, but don't take this to mean that it was the Whacky rig. The fish get more aggressive with the rippled water and reduced light penetration. One good thing about the Whacky rig is that it stays put in the water better, giving you a better feel. I got very little action on a 5" Senko, always nose hooked, and on heavier line.

Today, on Lk. WA, I found I could throw the 3" Senko just fine on my 8 lb test, 6' 6" spinning rig, and think it helped as the fish were not biting well. I still used the #4 Yamamoto Split Shot (circle) hook. I like the circle hook concept, but will test others, with more pronounced curve. I'm still sticking some in the throat. The circle hook is surprisingly snag resistant, and works great in rocky areas, because the hook point doesn't get hammered over. 
C&R, Steve
« Last Edit: 05/19/04 at 02:51:10 by »  

IP Logged

Bookmarks: del.icio.us Digg Facebook Google Google+ Linked in reddit StumbleUpon Twitter Yahoo