Normal Topic casting (Read 2379 times)
Bax
Ex Member

casting
02/20/04 at 16:23:55
Quote Print Post  
     At last nights meeting Shawn was talking about being adept at all casting techinques.  He mentioned Pitching and Flipping, which I have heard of several times but am not quite sure how they differ.  Can someone share some insight on these techinques and possibly where each would be applied.

Thanks

Don

IP Logged

Admin
Forum Administrator

I love YaBB!

Re: casting
Reply #1 - 02/20/04 at 16:43:50
Quote Print Post  
Flipping is what happens when you accidentally trip over your partners' tacklebox en route to falling overboard.

Pitching is what happens when you get back on board and intentially throw your partner overboard for placing said tacklebox in your way!

Subtle indeed, but I hope that clears things up for you!  Wink

Oh Alright!!  Lessee if I can tackle this one.

I just first want to say it's best to SHOW rather than describe the techniques, but here goes...

Flipping is the technique of placing a lure in a given spot at close range (0-10') precisely, and quietly, with as little disturbance of the water as possible using an underhand pendulum cast while controlling the line with your hand.

Pitching is the technique in which worms or jigs are dropped into cover at close range (5-20') with an underhand pendulum motion, using a 6 1/2 to 71/2 foot baitcasting rod.  Similar to flipping, but requires less stealth and usually done from further distances.

Both techniques allow you to place a bait precisely into a pocket or under tree limbs without spooking bass.  These are best suited when bass are buried deep in cover such as brush, downed trees, heavy weeds and such when conventional casts will not get the lure to the bass.

There's more information at http://www.bassresource.com/html/flip&pitch.html with links on the bottom to even further detailed info.

Hope that helps!
« Last Edit: 02/20/04 at 21:30:48 by Admin »  
IP Logged

Rich
Ex Member

Reply #2 - 02/20/04 at 20:46:31
Quote Print Post  
ROTFLMAO..Butt good answer Glenn. Grin Shocked Roll Eyes

Rich

IP Logged

Bax
Ex Member

Reply #3 - 02/21/04 at 07:06:15
Quote Print Post  
Thanks Glenn

They sound very simular.  I've been using those techinques in past and didn't even know it.  Tongue

Don

IP Logged

S._Basser
Ex Member

Reply #4 - 02/21/04 at 22:49:40
Quote Print Post  
Don, with the clear water we usually have, I think most would agree that Pitching is most likely to be more useful than Flipping. While they are both up close, short range and heavy duty tackle, I don't find the rod & reel to be similar at all. I like a 6.5' pitching rod, and the flipping rods are 7.5 to 8'. For pitching, I like a 6.2:1 Shimano Curado with left crank, but on my Flipping rod, I have a 5:1 ABU with right crank. I can't pitch with a flipping rod for any length of time, and get less distance than with the 6.5' rod. I haven't tried flipping in years, after a car accident (rear ended) made my left arm numb for a few years. At the time, it hampered my coordination with the left hand, but I might give it another try, if I find a lake that seems suitable.  Meanwhile, I do a lot of pitching and what I call             
"pitch/skipping" with spinning rigs. Being able to get the bait to where the fish are likely to be is real important, and one of the things that makes Bassin' so interesting and challenging. Visualize where a fish should be positioned and put that bait in there!
C&R, Steve

IP Logged

Bookmarks: del.icio.us Digg Facebook Google Google+ Linked in reddit StumbleUpon Twitter Yahoo