Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) What would you buy? (Read 5903 times)
Rich
Ex Member

What would you buy?
11/19/03 at 18:16:14
Quote Print Post  

As a new bass fisherperson, what would you, with what you know now, stock your tackle box with to get started fishing around this area?  This would be a starter box.

I am thinking that we could put together a list of items that a newbie bass fisherperson could get to start them on their weigh Grin.  This sheet could be placed in the handbook for new members.

Example:  Senkos(colors, sizes, etc),  spinnerbaits(colors, sizes, blades?), crankbaits(colors, sizes, types), hooks(sizes, types), weights(sizes, types).  Misc. items(stinky stuff, swivels, etc.) 

Lets limit it to 3 or 4 of each item.  Maybe a step further would be rods, reels, line, etc.  Keeping in mind this is just the beginning so lets keep it simple and inexpensive.  Lets not lead them astray by recommending Procraft Lips Sealed or other DUM things.

Rich

Iffin you got more then you want to write here then send me an email at rnl712@hotmail.com

IP Logged

EX-PREZ
WBC Member

"I'd like to thank my
sponsors for helping
me out"

Re: What would you buy?
Reply #1 - 11/20/03 at 00:58:05
Quote Print Post  
Alright Rich,
  I'll break the ice.  I think it would be best if we put something together for depth, more than time of year.
1) 0-10 ft.-  the old trusty Senko/ french fry.  natural colors like greens/ browns/blacks.  A big bait like a Brush Hawg with a 1/2 oz. weight and a 5/0 hook for pitchin' and flippin'.
2) 10-20 ft.  split-shot lizard, green pumpkin/ june bug in 4".  Bitsy Bug w/ trailer, again blacks and browns. Also crankbaits and spinnerbaits would fall here. Cranks get to be real confusing for the N.G.'s.  Chromes, oranges and most natural colors will get hits.  Spinnerbaits, whites and chartrueses, single blades.
3) 20-40 ft.  drop-shotting is probably what everyone would say.  I also like to drag a gitz-it, a carolina rig, and also twin-tail grub on a jig head.  Plastics for this depth, keep it simple!  Lizards always work.  straight tail finesse worms for drop shotting, I also like a tiny brushhog on a drop shot.  Be creative, yet simple.
4)" The ABYSS"  Drop- shotting and PATIENCE!!!! Or put the boat away like 1/2 the bass fisherman in Wa. do.
  If I had to fish out of 1 box for a year.  My box would contain 4" ZOOM green pumpkin lizards, Brush hawgs, both tiny and fullsize,  Bitsy bugs w/ 101 Uncle josh trailers in black, a couple Spinnerbaits, Zoom centipedes"french-fries",  Terminal would be various size split shot, some worm weights, 2/0 and 5/0 G-lock hooks.  Top it off with size 1 for drop shots and bass casting sinkers for dropshot weights, ( a simple square knot tied with an 1/8" tag will still release before the line breaks. It actually works great and they cost a dime instead of a dollar!  8 lb. and 12 lb. good line.  15 lb. for spring.  Rods, my most expensive rod is less than $50. I like to spend my money on good reels,  a cheap reel will drive you nuts. 
  I apologize for "branding" stuff but some things would be impossible to find without a name to take along. 
                                             DA PREZ!

SPONSORS:&&MY BEAUTIFUL WIFE!&&1st pick at the raffle (when we have a raffle)&&TEAM NO BOAT PAYMENT/ NO TRUCK PAYMENT&&AQUA VU CAMERAS (borrowed from Terry, scratch that, he took it back)&&STRATOS boats (pre-owned division)&&YAMAHA (came with the STRATOS boat)

IP Logged

virgilw
Ex Member

Reply #2 - 11/23/03 at 18:57:32
Quote Print Post  
Good idea Rich, Like others I bought 1 of everthing and soon realized that I needed none of most things.
   With the club the way it is and newbys, like Curtis that came to our last meeting, I incouraged him not to go out and buy alot of anything untill he gets out and fishes in a few boats and sees a few tech- and likes them.
   Here in the club as you know, poeple are willing to hook you up with what you don't have or don't know about and let you try it...than you know what to go get for your self.
   With curtis and his bro, Larry and I both taught each a dropshot rig (and gave them,) and took them out and showed them how to use it. After catching a 4.5 smallie  I think Auburn S+M is now out of #1 dropshot hooks.
  What I did with Curtis is gave him another dropshot hook and 1 ea. of the other most popular hooks, a bullet weight of 3 different sizes, and round splitshot weights and told him if he had 15-25 each he can't go wrong...he will use them! Thats the start. You will never go wrong with lotza terminal tackle. we also talked about the colors (as Ron did) and what building confidence in them will do! (like bubble gum pink)
   When he jumps into a boat with someone, someone will give him acouple of things to try, ( on his terminal tackle) than thay can go get it for themselves and pass on the favors done for them to the next NG.
   But all in all Ron was pretty much right on...teach them practical.....not whats pretty to the fisherman!
   I hope you can break this down and use it for your project. V-DUD-YA

IP Logged

virgilw
Ex Member

Reply #3 - 11/23/03 at 19:06:33
Quote Print Post  
   You may want to put in a blerb that good tackle is not cheap for most of us, if you lose a rig or two, ok, but if I loan you a $5 spinnerbait or crank and theylose it, they  really need to replace it. Education anywhere is not cheap either, and like gas, thanks doesn't always cover expencises. Wink

IP Logged

Rich
Ex Member

Reply #4 - 11/23/03 at 22:23:08
Quote Print Post  
Ron and VW,  all good suggestions and ideas.  I am trying to compile a (relatively speaking) "inexpensive"  list for the New Guys.  So all the more guys that agree on colors, types and gear will help narrow it down.

We all know that after the first few times to G.I. Joes or Sportco that everyone will have a lot of "stuff".  But if we can steer the NG towards the basics, especially for what works around here, then they are on their own after that.

Rich

P.S. Guys keep the suggestions coming.  Thanks

IP Logged

Doug_Booth
Ex Member

Reply #5 - 11/24/03 at 04:09:43
Quote Print Post  
I believe as far as terminal tackle is concerned, I can tell you what I would give someone to set them up with a beginner's tackle pack.

It would include:
4 or 5" senkos in watermelon (inc. appl. hooks & weight)
4 or 5" yamamoto hula grubs in 176 color
Bandit 100 series crankbait in Tenneesse Shad
Normans Professional Edge Tiny Deep N in SunPerch
Luhr Jensen Hot Lips 1/4 oz in Crappie color
Titanium Spinnerbait (multi colored i.e. firetiger)

Except for Dec - Feb I (depending on body of water) I would feel confident that these baits will produce fish at any body of water in the state.

IP Logged

Larry S.
Ex Member

Reply #6 - 11/24/03 at 04:09:46
Quote Print Post  
Hey Rich, Great subject. If I would be starting out I would like the following....
1). Bass Pro Shops Spinning Combo with the bionic Blade rod in 7'M with the Shimano Sedona 2000 front drag..........two of these will allow a new angler to set up say two items....Senko and a Carolina Zoom Lizard all for a paltry $79.00 for each combo!
2). Two of the Bass Pro Tourney Special Round baitcast reel Combos with the Tourney Special Rods at 6'6"M and 7' M The reels are very forgiving with the Centrifugal Braking system that can adjust as they learn how to cast and show improvement. These are only $60.00 Each!

3).Bass Pro has some great Kits for Spinnerbaits, Crank baits Stick baits and Jigs....All of which are $19.99 or less!!
So all totalled......
4 Rods at...............$280.00
5 Kits at.................$100.00
Terminal tackle ......$20.00
Out the door ready to rock.......$400.00!!
Now you could cut one rod each to get it down to around $260.00 but the learning curve would do better with one of each size in Baitcast and Spinning.
Hope this helps because I would have died to know bout these long ago after I had bought the expensive stuff!

IP Logged

Jim_Shaffer
Ex Member

Reply #7 - 11/24/03 at 04:32:35
Quote Print Post  
Rich,
If you want I am working on the 2004 hand book and would be glad to put your article in it, I plan to be to press by the end of January,
And that also goes for anyone else that might have a good article they would like to have in the handbook.

PS
I could use a good article about techniques

IP Logged

gotfive
Ex Member

Reply #8 - 11/24/03 at 23:59:58
Quote Print Post  
Rich,
A real old time clubber offered advice to me when I started.  I spent an afternoon shopping in BPS catalog and (much like Larry's post) was out the door with two casting rod combos and two spinning combos. 

IP Logged

gotfive
Ex Member

Reply #9 - 11/25/03 at 00:02:28
Quote Print Post  
Rich,
A real old time clubber offered advice to me when I started.  I spent an afternoon shopping in BPS catalog and (much like Larry's post) was out the door with two casting rod combos and two spinning combos. 
As for tackle, I started with the worm.  No bait on the market has caught more fish, is easy to fish and to teach, gives the new angler opportunity to sense the bite and learn how to set a hook, properly.  I suggest any worm that is black, blue or purple.  This will catch fish from April to November.  All of the posts are great as well, just my two cents.

IP Logged

gotfive
Ex Member

Reply #10 - 11/25/03 at 00:03:07
Quote Print Post  
Thats a plastic worm, not a crawler.................

IP Logged

BassingWoman
Ex Member

Reply #11 - 01/23/05 at 21:37:55
Quote Print Post  
Kiss   Wink  HELLO EVERYONE!

I know this is an OLD post but to newbie's JERRIE & I -
this info is as good as GOLD! We wondered ... Undecided ...
'what do we get'???

I will share this with Jerrie as I do with fishin' info - I research it, share it with her, and we learn TOGETHER!
We are a fishin'  TEAM !  Cheesy

IP Logged

S._Basser
Ex Member

Reply #12 - 02/14/05 at 02:14:06
Quote Print Post  
I broke down and bought a new Spinnerbait rod, after breaking my favorite one, some years ago. I got a BPS Extreme/Shimano Curado combo.

Now, I'm thinking that I'd like to get a few new spinners to go with it, and find there are a bunch of new brands out there. In the past, I've liked BPS Laser Eyes or Bulldogs. I went looking online, and my inclination is to stick with either of those. I did NOT like Stanley (too delicate) or Strike King (got some that just would not run straight, regardless of tuning, until I just cut off the second blade).  I can't see paying $10+ for one spinnerbait, so sorry!  Undecided
C&R, Steve

IP Logged

Rwfaz
Ex Member

Reply #13 - 02/24/05 at 23:05:11
Quote Print Post  
simple kit, really compact......

4oz C4
selection of variable depth dets

IP Logged

Rob M.
Ex Member

Reply #14 - 02/25/05 at 01:00:05
Quote Print Post  
Rule of thumb that I learned the expensive way...

You are better off buying the more expensive reel now and buying a cheaper rod. You will be better off with a rod that isn't as sensitive than a reel that will give you problems...

IP Logged

Bookmarks: del.icio.us Digg Facebook Google Google+ Linked in reddit StumbleUpon Twitter Yahoo