Normal Topic homemade livewell? (Read 3313 times)
Spivv
Ex Member

homemade livewell?
02/13/04 at 05:27:14
Quote Print Post  
Hi y'all, I'm a new, extremely driven, bass fishermen with a small 14' boat! My girlfriend(who loves to fish Grin) and I are very interested in joining your club and competing in the yearly tournaments. I was curious if anyone had some ideas about a livewell that would not take up much room and still be effective. We always catch and release and have never been in a tournament so a livewell hasn't been an issue.  I have an area in the bow that could fit a small cooler. I wish money was no object but unfortunately it is. I'd appreciate any ideas and maybe we will see you all someday. ty 8)

IP Logged

virgilw
Ex Member

Re: homemade livewell?
Reply #1 - 02/13/04 at 06:08:13
Quote Print Post  
Hi Spivv, Welcome, stay tune here and you should get all the answers you never wanted.
   You have acouple options, Basspro and cabelas have sm to lg "coolers that drop right in your boat and your good to go, $100-150 would be my guess, or on the same pages they have the fixens to make your own. you may want to check them out and maybe just get the bubblers that hook up to the battery. the other thing to think about is how you will keep the fish cool.
   while your waiting for more feedback check out the catalogs.  Also while your looking us over, look on this same site under March fish-ins and come join us. V-DUB-YA

IP Logged

The_Rev.
Ex Member

Reply #2 - 02/13/04 at 23:08:49
Quote Print Post  
My first boat was a 14 flatbottom aluminum boat with no livewell.  So I grabbed my large cooler (that you carry to picnics) and a purchased a small livewell pump (self contained).  It comes with two wires that go to your battery with clip on attachments.  I think you can purchase them at most fishing stores and they only run 25 to 40 dollars.  It has a pipe coming up from the pump that shoots streams of water mixed with oxygen back into the water.  It has suction cups on the bottom to adhere to the cooler.  Worked great!

IP Logged

Doug_Booth
Ex Member

Reply #3 - 02/14/04 at 05:54:07
Quote Print Post  
The first bass boat I own had a cooler a lot like the Rev.'s.  I put some good foam attached to the lid and had it for a seat.  The cooler had two holes driilled in the side and plastic flexible tubing connected to the side of the boat.  One below the water line and one above.  I had a toggle switch attached to a (bilge) pump that drew water from the lower hole and filled the cooler until the water overflowed out the top line (hole).  Bubblers are fine but they don't work as well as moving new water into the livewell.  You can choose the size of cooler (plastic) you want for the size of your boat and pick up a relatively inexpensive lower volume pump and plumbing parts for pretty reasonable.  I look forward to seeing you either at the meeting or on the water.

IP Logged

Spivv
Ex Member

Reply #4 - 02/14/04 at 16:02:15
Quote Print Post  
Thanks for all the good info guys. I will put it to good use! Nicely done web page, by the way.

IP Logged

virgilw
Ex Member

Reply #5 - 02/15/04 at 06:10:30
Quote Print Post  
We owe it all to our newlywed Glenn Kiss

IP Logged

Bookmarks: del.icio.us Digg Facebook Google Google+ Linked in reddit StumbleUpon Twitter Yahoo