Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) Mortimer Patrol. (Read 8437 times)
Larry S.
Ex Member

Mortimer Patrol.
11/28/03 at 16:31:08
Quote Print Post  
Hey folks, I will be going out Saturday from about 10 till whenever as long as the wind stays down..Rain Ok but little wind......Maybe going to Washington on Sunday. Maybe see ya out there!

IP Logged

Larry S.
Ex Member

Re: Mortimer Patrol.
Reply #1 - 12/01/03 at 02:51:46
Quote Print Post  
Well the Mortimer Patrol is back and alas...Mortimer is still eluding me......for three club boats and 5 anglers there was several bites and one weak perch to show for it.....It was very cold and when the north wind started....very colder'er! See ya all at Wash. for the next Freeze-In!

IP Logged

Larry S.
Ex Member

Reply #2 - 12/21/03 at 01:19:04
Quote Print Post  
Well, with two boats and three seasoned anglers Mortimer remains a apparition. Bill B., Myself and Mark Maderos fished from around noon till 4 and only several Trout and or Perch bites to show for it..........JEEEEEZZZZZZ it's like it's winter or something!
Anybody seen Brian Walker? hav'nt seen his usual Harts Lake reports for this time of year!

IP Logged

Larry S.
Ex Member

Reply #3 - 01/26/04 at 01:05:45
Quote Print Post  
Here is the Late-January Mortimer report.....
1200 hrs launched boat with temps around 39 and water at around 40 degrees......went to just run the boat but after an hour I could not wait anymore and started dropshotting the main lake point right of the launch......went from 20 ft to 48 ft and all over the flats and alas..............two fish caught.
1). Perch....3/4 lb released ( brought him up slow!).
2). 1 pound ..........LARGEMOUTH!!   This is my earliest largemouth ever!! not Mortimer but WHOOOOOHOOOOOO!! it must be SPRING!!!......oh caught both fish in 41 ft of water within a boatlength of each other just before the rains came today.

IP Logged

Larry S.
Ex Member

Reply #4 - 02/14/04 at 04:45:55
Quote Print Post  
Hey Folks.......Went out with a couple guys to introduce them to Bass Fishing at Sawyer and well........We now have two new members as Greg Pruitt and his buddy Matt had a pretty good day with Matt getting honors for his 2.5 lb Smally on a dropshot Robo Worm and Matt and myself getting all the Perch out of his way. Mortimer was again nowhere to be found but the fish we saw today both in our boat and from an Evergreen Bass Club member have moved up to as shallow as 17ft! amazing what a little High Pressure can do to the Fish!....too bad its is getting rainy again! Look for Greg at the next meeting and both of them at a Fish-In near you!

IP Logged

Larry S.
Ex Member

Reply #5 - 02/21/04 at 04:06:10
Quote Print Post  
Dave Jerrell will be assisting me on Mortimer patrol Sat in AM till noon so will have a report in afternoon!

IP Logged

Larry S.
Ex Member

Reply #6 - 02/22/04 at 02:53:05
Quote Print Post  
Well, this was initially going to turn into one of those "One Sided" reports as Mr. Jarrell had me skunked with 2 perch and a 2lb 3 oz Smallie for the morning $.75 (First-Biggest-Most) but after I got rid of the "Real Skunk" I was able to boat a 2lb 7oz Smallie of my own....but I can say I did use one of his custom hand pours to get my fish and Dave...it was the same color as your bait!

IP Logged

Larry S.
Ex Member

Reply #7 - 03/22/04 at 04:57:11
Quote Print Post  
Hey folks...went to Sawyer for the weekly Mortimer Patrol and .....found his friends cruising the shallows...All Largemouth from 2-3 pounds and very skiddish when you throw a bait near them. The water temps are up to 52 degrees and it is looking like we are almost there for some big fish action on Sawyer!

IP Logged

Dave_Jarrell
Ex Member

Reply #8 - 03/23/04 at 04:14:01
Quote Print Post  
thats good to know larry. jim and i were there a week ago looking for the early toad in the middle of the week .(dont let the boss know) Grin    and we didnt see a single fish in the shallows.

IP Logged

Doug_Booth
Ex Member

Reply #9 - 03/29/04 at 17:55:53
Quote Print Post  
Caleb and I spent a beautiful Sunday morning looking for the elusive Mortimer.  But alas it was to no avail.  I again managed a single suicidal trout.  The water temp was 50 up to 52 by 11:00.  I saw the Harris's and Jim Shaffer at the launch.  Talk with a couple other bassfisherman with the same results.

IP Logged

Larry S.
Ex Member

Reply #10 - 04/26/04 at 15:54:25
Quote Print Post  
It's been awhile since I was on Mortimer pPatrol but here ya go....Fished Sawyer from 08:00 till 5pm and only got two keepers late in the day both Smallies at 2.8 and 2.7 lbs

IP Logged

Bax
Ex Member

Reply #11 - 04/26/04 at 16:08:19
Quote Print Post  
Larry and others

I fished Sawyer on friday and saw what may have been Mortimer or a close relative.  From the launch to the right around the first bend where the little stream outlet is I saw a 7-8+lbr in about 3 feet of water.  I had been casting a spinnerbait and I reached down to grab a Senko but by the time I looked up again it was gone.  That was the largest Bass I have seen in person.  I cruised around for 15-20 minutes looking, but alas I never caught a peek of her again.  I'm not sure if it was the "Elusive One" but at least there is another biggie to target.

Good luck

Don B.

IP Logged

marktfd88
Ex Member

:oRe: Mortimer Patrol.
Reply #12 - 05/03/04 at 03:21:01
Quote Print Post  
spent the afternoon sight fishing for largies.  Never underestimate the power of a jerk bait when sight fishing.  After throwing all the plastics I had, and as some of you know, that's ALOT Shocked Shocked  I had two fish I was working and took my jerkbait and started throwing that right at them.  It took about 10 cast and a few missed strikes, the fish would just bump it, not really eat it, but finally put a pair of fish in the boat.  One weighed 2.4 on the digital the other weighed 3.1 on the scales.  Not for the humbling part.  I watched some kids with $12 dollar rods and a can of worms catch 3 bass in about 10 minutes 50 yards from me.   AARRGHHHHHH  Fortunately did throw them back.

Mark

IP Logged

Rich
Ex Member

Reply #13 - 05/03/04 at 22:29:42
Quote Print Post  
Dam Mark,  you get pretty ruthless, ie, throwing the kids back.  I suppose you kept their fish though.  Hmmm wonder how he will fill out his greenslip this month Shocked

Rich

IP Logged

Doug_Booth
Ex Member

Reply #14 - 05/03/04 at 23:27:56
Quote Print Post  
I had a small Saturday morning trip to Sawyer.  I can't figure that lake out.  I managed only three 5 inchers.  I did break a hook off in one fish though.  I hit Washington on Sunday and managed a 3.7 smallie redeem my weekend.

IP Logged

Bookmarks: del.icio.us Digg Facebook Google Google+ Linked in reddit StumbleUpon Twitter Yahoo