Normal Topic Steilacoom (Read 1198 times)
Jfchoate1
Ex Member

Steilacoom
05/21/07 at 12:04:47
Quote Print Post  
While you were all on the east side I hit Steilacoom in the rain on Sunday. Got 3 3.75, 3.75, 4.25 all smallies off beds don't know if they were sitting or crusing them. I was out there ealry enuf that I could see the beds from about max casting distance so I just stayed way back and fan casted the areas. There was one other bass boat out there I think(there was a nitro trailer at the launch) I took a lap around the lake and didn't see them. The only place I didn't look was the cove oppisite the river inlet.  Anyone want to give any hints as too where the LM spawn?

IP Logged

jwerner
Ex Member

Re: Steilacoom
Reply #1 - 05/22/07 at 02:04:30
Quote Print Post  
  I fish Steilacoom often, own a Nitro, but was there of Saturday.  I have seen more big female largies in February than in the last few weeks.  Males are plentiful with both the largemouth and smallmouth, most being in the 2 - 3 pound range.  I think the females don't spend much time on the beds due to the super clear water.  Many of the largemouth beds in the last two weeks already have eggs on them.  On Saturday though I found new males have moved up and built their beds. 
     As far as helping you out, finding deeper water close to shallow water is good, especially if there is good weed to rock transitions.  My largest largemouth so far this year is 5# 10 oz.  I lost one that was every bit of 7# a few weeks back.  On Saturday I got a 5# 9oz largemouth which was still in prespawn pattern along with a 4# 7 oz female smallmouth.   These were nice fish, ut the most memorable part happened when I was adjusting a bait while in 15' of water.  I looked down in the water and spotted the biggest smallmouth I have ever seen - just cruizin.....   
   Here's a link to a fish pic:  http://www.dendroboard.com/coppermine/albums/userpics/10062/normal_5947stel.jpg

IP Logged

Jfchoate1
Ex Member

Re: Steilacoom
Reply #2 - 05/22/07 at 15:51:53
Quote Print Post  
Havent sent my pics to work and wifes not to great with the camera. I guess I'll have to get some more time out on the main lake. Seems every time I've gotten out there this year its raining or windy  Angry.

IP Logged

Bookmarks: del.icio.us Digg Facebook Google Google+ Linked in reddit StumbleUpon Twitter Yahoo