Normal Topic Outlawing 2 strokes? (Read 1295 times)
RonKnott
Ex Member

Outlawing 2 strokes?
05/21/03 at 20:47:52
Quote Print Post  
I have been looking around at new/used boats and some sales people are telling me I need to buy a 4 stroke because it is only a matter of time before the 2 strokes will be outlawed, it has already happened in California.  For a 60+ HP motor the upgrade seems to cost around $3,000+.  Not to mention there must be a weight difference and if its anything like snowmobiling (somthing I am familiar with) I will be giving up some torque.

This is hard for me to beilieve with all the 2 strokes around and sounds a little like a sales pitch.  However, I would be really bummed if I dropped $15,000 for a boat and then all the sudden I can't use it because I went "on the cheap" and saved $3,000.

What is the word on the street?  Would this ever happen in Washington state?  If it was to happen on certain lakes it seems like Lake Washington would be a candidate given the heave use it gets.

IP Logged

sarge
Ex Member

Re: Outlawing 2 strokes?
Reply #1 - 05/22/03 at 05:03:13
Quote Print Post  
Ron,

I personally don't think we will be seeing this ban anytime soon in WA. Even if we do, if you were to buy a boat with a 2-stroke before the ban, it is unlikely that you would be banned from using it. It would probably apply to new boats only... I could be wrong, but that is my feeling. For lakes that would be possible candidates, drinking water lakes like Lake Whatcom would the first on the chopping block. Lake WA, probably not, especially considering the richer folk that like to play with their toys on the lake.

Don't get me going on the issue!!! HA! But I will say this, if you can get into a honda or yamaha 4-stroke, I wouldn't hesitate to buy one. Yeah, you don't go as fast with a 4-stroke, but they are SWEET! Quiet engines and very fuel-efficient.

Chris

IP Logged

SMITTY
Ex Member

Re: Outlawing 2 strokes?
Reply #2 - 05/22/03 at 12:55:00
Quote Print Post  
Another option to consider is some of the new 2-stroke direct injection type engines which give the performance of a two stroke with the economy and pollution free performance of the 4 stroke engines. Cheesy  These include Optimax engines from Mercury, Ficht from Evinrude and HP direct injection from Yamaha.
This is what I'm looking at for my next rig.

Smitty Wink

IP Logged

Bookmarks: del.icio.us Digg Facebook Google Google+ Linked in reddit StumbleUpon Twitter Yahoo