Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) Blown Powerhead (Read 6657 times)
SMITTY
Ex Member

Re: Blown Powerhead
Reply #15 - 04/03/03 at 13:51:22
Quote Print Post  
Broken piston rings are usually the result of carbon buildup in the rings or a piece of carbon getting under a ring.  This prevents the ring from rotating during the compression stroke and thereby prevents the lubricating oil from coating the cylinder wall. As a result, the ring gets brittle and breaks and the cylinder wall gets scored allowing the piston to "freeze".  Hence the powerhead "blows".  Sad The best way to prevent this is to use a "Kwickleen", "Seafoam", "Carbon Guard", or"Ringfree" product regularly in your fuel and decarb the engine annually.  Addtionally, you can run a full synthetic oil in your mixture such as Amsoil.  Kiss  Full synthetic oils are carbon free since they are made with synthectic base stocks rather than petroleum.  There is virtually no carbon buildup with this type of oil.  Wink
After doing all of this, there is still no guarantee that an engine will not freeze up, as there are several other reasons that could prevent oil from reaching the cylinder or rings.  Undecided But this method of operation is very good insurance against the most common cause of powerhead failure. Grin

Smitty 8)

IP Logged

Admin
Forum Administrator

I love YaBB!

Reply #16 - 04/03/03 at 16:57:45
Quote Print Post  
Hey Faz (and others),
Keri will be fishing all the tournies with me, plus most saturdays.  That leaves Sundays open (and when/if she cancels) if you're interested.  I don't have an ambassadee yet, so things could get a little tight depending on whether or not I get one, but you're more than welcome to join me whenever I have an open seat.

-gm

IP Logged

Larry S.
Ex Member

Reply #17 - 04/03/03 at 17:04:58
Quote Print Post  
Yeah, but Glenn Grin Grin.......he wants to catch fish!..................he he he he he he..... Grin Grin Grin

IP Logged

Admin
Forum Administrator

I love YaBB!

Reply #18 - 04/03/03 at 18:40:18
Quote Print Post  
Bombardier just announced today it is putting Johnson/Evinrude up for sale.  Considering what Faz just went through, it's no wonder.

So now we all know - stay away from Evinrude... worse yet, a Smokercraft with an Evinrude.  YIKES!!

IP Logged

Bookmarks: del.icio.us Digg Facebook Google Google+ Linked in reddit StumbleUpon Twitter Yahoo