Normal Topic Banks lake (Read 1932 times)
Hunter
Ex Member

Banks lake
03/19/03 at 02:49:26
Quote Print Post  
I won't tell you how big the rainbows were or how many I caught as this is a Bass web site. But I made a visit to Banks Lake last weekend.

Water temp 43 in the warmest part of the lake. So it will not be long before the SM are hitting.

All I caught were rainbows as that is what i was looking for. But the way I fish for them is much like bass fishing. I cast diving bass plugs into the shore. Fire tiger hot lips. Everytime I caugth one I felt like a SM. But when I hit the surface I knew what i had.

Give it a couple of weeks and those bass will be hitting.

Hunter

IP Logged

kholmes
Ex Member

Re: Banks lake
Reply #1 - 03/25/03 at 00:01:56
Quote Print Post  
It is not too early at all to be throwing cranks on Banks for smallies.  I recall a tournament that Chris S. and I fished early one year and the water temp was near 45.  I caught three fish on a crank and two were largemouth!!  I am sure he remembers.  The key was maintaining contact with structure.  That may have been the bottom, large rocks and boulders, emerging grasses, etc.

IP Logged

sarge
Ex Member

Reply #2 - 03/25/03 at 02:46:55
Quote Print Post  
Yes sir, Mr. Holmes, I remember. That was a fun tournament!

To add to that... two years ago at an early Banks Lake tournament, the winners caught crankbait fish in only a few feet of water. And the water was in the low 40's!

Chris

IP Logged

Harley
Ex Member

Reply #3 - 03/25/03 at 05:14:37
Quote Print Post  
Early crank bait fishing at Banks is a good thing.  Buttt I was there this week-end 22 and 23 and Well the Bass didn't agree as much as the slimmers did thats for sure. We caught over twenty in the 3 to 6lb range "trout" that is.I have that slimy junk all over my boat, it's going to take a week to clean off.    High winds but not too cold. Did  trick a couple of Bass to bite. Over two pounds each. 

Why too much slim all over all the Bass Gear for this ole boy.  Angry

The water on Saturday was 42 and on Sunday it dropped back to 40 so go figure?  Good luck and tight lines.

IP Logged

Bookmarks: del.icio.us Digg Facebook Google Google+ Linked in reddit StumbleUpon Twitter Yahoo