Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) Boat wax? (Read 3918 times)
pays2no
Ex Member

Boat wax?
01/28/03 at 23:36:46
Quote Print Post  
With spring just around the corner and the thought of getting the boat to look its best for the upcoming fishing season, I was wondering what a lot of you use to make your boat really sparkle and shine.  What kind of wax or spray are you applying to your fiberglass to make it look really good when the sun finally does come out.  Any suggestions on certain products?

Pays2no wants to know.

IP Logged

virgilw
Ex Member

Re: Boat wax?
Reply #1 - 01/29/03 at 00:31:04
Quote Print Post  
From what I can remember someone in the club said there boat lost 2-3 mph when they used a wax....spit is pretty cheap.

IP Logged

RussBaker
Ex Member

Reply #2 - 01/29/03 at 00:38:26
Quote Print Post  
Bob,

I use a liquid type of wax made especiallym for boats. Speed is not effected by it at all. You just wash your boat first and then wipe it on and off. It shines like a brand new boat. The most important tool that I have found in wiping off your boat is to use a chamois when wipping off the water. It gets some of the residue off as well as additional dirt build up.
Russ

IP Logged

champ206
Forum Member

Reply #3 - 01/29/03 at 00:51:18
Quote Print Post  
First you need to take a long look at the finish to start with. Do you have hair line scratches(hazy). If the finish only has hair line scratches do the prep with with Mirror Glaze Swirl Remover. If the finish is worst than hair line scratches I would use and  a light rubbing compound and the go to the Swirk Remover. After the prep is done I have been using a product call protec, It seems to last a long time and goes on easy and come off easy. My frinds that know me know I am a wax nut. I have a hole shelf of differant brands of waxes and see to go back to Mirror Glaze(Meguirs) produsct for my cars. I recommend
Protec for my final finish on boats.

Touch up get a product called 303 protectant.

IP Logged

Admin
Forum Administrator

I love YaBB!

Reply #4 - 01/29/03 at 05:24:12
Quote Print Post  
Actually Virgil, you are correct.  Applying wax to the bottom of the hull can and will reduce top-end speed.  The hull is designed to "skip" across the water.  Wax tends to make it "slide", thus increasing the surface area that contacts the water, which increases friction and drag. 

There have even been reports of some people having their brand new wax ball up in clumps under the hull after a day of fishing.  Why?  Friction causes heat, which can melt certain waxes.

Applying wax to the sides of the boat, however, doesn't affect the boat's performance.

-gm

IP Logged

SMITTY
Ex Member

Reply #5 - 01/29/03 at 13:39:16
Quote Print Post  
John is on the money when he recommended ProTec.  It has a great UV protector and also some other formulas to keep the fiberglass from "drying out".  The 303 available at West Marine, will also protect from UV rays which really can cause fiberglass to loose its luster and fade or haze up.  303 works outstanding on the vinyl upholstery as well.  Both Protec and 303 are kinda like sunscreen for your glass boat.  In any case make sure you use a product that has the most UV protection you can find and DON'T place it on the running surface of your boat.  When you come off the water a quick wipe down with Meguires Quick Detailer or Eagle One will keep your boat looking great between waxes. Grin

Smitty  Cheesy

IP Logged

pays2no
Ex Member

Reply #6 - 01/30/03 at 02:06:43
Quote Print Post  
A great big thanks to all of you who responded.  I will certainly take a serious look at all of the products you suggested.

Bob

IP Logged

Admin
Forum Administrator

I love YaBB!

Reply #7 - 02/02/03 at 14:52:43
Quote Print Post  
ok, still in the new boat owner phase.... where's West Marine and where do I buy ProTec?  If West Marine is "down south", any recommendations where I can get 303 "up north"?  Also, does the 303 make the seats slick like AmorAll would?  Finally, how often do you wax your boats?

Ya, ya, I know - mine's aluminum. So I'll adapt your advice to suit my situation.

Thanks!

IP Logged

Admin
Forum Administrator

I love YaBB!

Reply #8 - 02/02/03 at 23:17:55
Quote Print Post  
Hey I made a stop into Boater's World today and found 303 for $20 a bottle.  Since they provided some nice raffle prizes for our awards banquet, I bought it from them.

IP Logged

SMITTY
Ex Member

Reply #9 - 02/03/03 at 00:56:30
Quote Print Post  
You can get 303 a little cheaper than that at Sportco in Fife.  The stuff is spendy but worth the money to me.  I  put it on the seats about 2 or 3 times a year and at least the same on the boat.  Don't think it'll work on luminum though. 8)

Smitty

IP Logged

Admin
Forum Administrator

I love YaBB!

Reply #10 - 02/03/03 at 01:37:29
Quote Print Post  
No, it won't.  But it will work on the seats and consol.   Smiley
I found some great aluminum care products at Boater's World as well.

IP Logged

Bookmarks: del.icio.us Digg Facebook Google Google+ Linked in reddit StumbleUpon Twitter Yahoo