Normal Topic Riffe Lake techniques (Read 4479 times)
sarge
Ex Member

Riffe Lake techniques
09/06/02 at 03:27:54
Quote Print Post  
Alright everyone, ENOUGH bickering about Riffe Lake!!!  Grin

Let's talk techniques

I have not been a "Successful" angler on Riffe yet, but while I have been there, I have learned that flats with bottom transitions will hold fish, and points near river channels can be productive. A point can look the same as any other point, but if it has that quick access to deep water, it makes all the difference in the world.

I have also heard alot about areas around the inundated towns holding fish... house foundations, bridges, etc.

So let's try to narrow down the water for chumps like me that haven't figured out Riffe, yet!

What types of areas have held fish for you?

What presentations have been successful for you this time of year?

Does wind play a part in your success?

These are just some questions that come to mind when I think of Riffe. I'm not looking for any secrets, just some generalities that have held up for people. I think this kind of discussion will generate more interest in the tournament and start a little buzz.

Whatd'ya have for us?

Chris

IP Logged

Admin
Forum Administrator

I love YaBB!

Re: Riffe Lake techniques
Reply #1 - 09/06/02 at 13:21:11
Quote Print Post  
Here's my tip:  GO TO BANKS!! Bahahaha!!   Grin

No, seriously.... what little success I've had there during this time of year has been on jerkbaits and crankbaits on points.  When the crankbait bite dies, switch to Texas rigged grubs and just swim them back to the boat.  Carolina rigged lizards also work. 

That pattern worked for me years ago and I haven't been able to replicate it since, but it helped Larry S. and I garner a 2nd place finish in the team tournament.

As for the sunken towns and river channels - I don't know where those are.  How do I find out?  Is there a topo map somewhere?

IP Logged

champ206
Forum Member

ndaterRe: Riffe Lake techniques
Reply #2 - 09/06/02 at 14:14:18
Quote Print Post  
Where is the inudated towns in Riffe lake?

IP Logged

DUNE HOPPER
WBC Member

USMC Ret.  "Full Livewells,
I'll drink to that!"

Reply #3 - 09/06/02 at 14:36:30
Quote Print Post  
Chris,
I garnered a 3rd place finish a couple of years ago with a mojo-rigged 4" watermelon-colored Sammamish Tackle pencil worm.  The bite was most of the day on Saturday in about 8'-15'.  I was using a 61/2 ' MA Shimano V series rod with a Shimano 2000 Symetre reel spooled with either McCoy's or Excaliber 8' test.  When that slowed on Sunday I switched baits to a 5" Zoom lizard in pumpkin w/black flake. All those SM were caught in a creek channel that bisects a large flat about 1/3rd of the way down the lake, west of the Kosmos launch.
On other occasions I have caught limits of small fish by allowing the wind to drift me over the flats in front of Kosmos launch dragging grubs, tubes and lizards in assorted natural colors.
One of my better days came in July of 99 early in the morning in a bay near the west-end launch identified with a large concrete tower in the middle.  The water was extremely high and there was a lot of grass under water.  I caught LM after LM in the early morning heavy fog on topwaters & then jerkbaits over that submerged grass as the fog burned off.  When the sky cleared the fish went striaght to the bottom and became very difficult to catch with only an occasionl LM being pulled in on a 6" lizard Texas-regged.  This was when I 1st met Rob Rinta of St. Helens, but that is another story.
Riffe seems to give up LM's only on occasion, and only in a  few places, but that day must have been good for about a dozen in about 3 hours.
There are a few topo maps of Riffe, and I've even seen one that shows the old townsites.  If the water level is low enough you might be able to see a few scattered foundation remanents along the creek channel in the flats between Tadepaum and Kosmos.
Anything else you need to know? Smiley

Retired From Everything but Feeshin and doing April's bidding

IP Logged

sarge
Ex Member

Reply #4 - 09/07/02 at 03:26:47
Quote Print Post  
That is all really great info, thanks guys Cheesy

Here is a cool link to a personal website with a lot of pictures of Riffe Lake when it was really low a while back... It has some pics of the old town, and also some good historical background. CAUTION: It is a slow site!

http://dogssaloon.50megs.com/

All I know is, I would sure love to have some GPS coordinates to go along with the pics!

Chris

IP Logged

Rob_Maglio
Ex Member

Reply #5 - 09/07/02 at 04:33:42
Quote Print Post  
Those are some great pictures. They were a real shock to me cause the only time I ever  saw the lake was in July, 1995. I have picts of me swimming and the water was gin-clear and at normal levels I guess, cause it looked way different than that. Those areas are all covered by water now right?.............Rob

IP Logged

sarge
Ex Member

Reply #6 - 09/08/02 at 02:50:41
Quote Print Post  
Yes, most of that should be covered up, Rob... But some things, like a bridge and roadbed might be out of the water.

I have heard that the lake will be dropping at a pretty good clip now since Labor Day has passed and boat traffic is much lighter.

Chris

IP Logged

sarge
Ex Member

Reply #7 - 09/08/02 at 02:52:08
Quote Print Post  
P.S. Thanks, Smitty, for the detailed response... Nothing else for now!  Grin  Wink

IP Logged

Larry S.
Ex Member

Reply #8 - 09/13/02 at 20:04:53
Quote Print Post  
Well time to spill the beans......went to Riffe Thurs. and here is some info...Top water "0" went across from the Kosmos launch for an hour from 7am till 8am swithed to a jerk bait and had at least 4 1-3 lb smallies chasing on the first cast but none would commit so changed sizes and colors and cadence but no takers so still "0" went to a point midway down the lake and "Boom" 1.2 smally third cast "Boom" 1lber so points are good tested on another point 1lber still no big fish with the wind howling now at about 20-25 mph drift/dragged across the Kosmos flat and got into two more, A 2.3 and a 1.4 so you will see me Jerk baits in morning-points in mid-morning and flats dragging if windy. Hopefully will make the tourney as my trolling motor is still down but the part should be here before Friday.

IP Logged

Bookmarks: del.icio.us Digg Facebook Google Google+ Linked in reddit StumbleUpon Twitter Yahoo