Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) potholes info? (Read 4035 times)
Lunk-botham
Forum Member

I Love WBC!

potholes info?
06/27/12 at 14:13:05
Quote Print Post  
Im heading to potholes for the weekend and was wondering if anyone could lend me some tips for this time of year?  Ive only been there 1 time late in the year.  I know my way around the lake but could use some help on where to go and what to use?  Or even just what colors work there?

Any help would be much appreciated!

Thanks

IP Logged

JimE
Forum Member

I Love WBC!

Re: potholes info?
Reply #1 - 06/28/12 at 02:36:19
Quote Print Post  
Frogs & Spooks around brush!!!

You should smoke them.

IP Logged

Lunk-botham
Forum Member

I Love WBC!

Reply #2 - 06/28/12 at 13:23:31
Quote Print Post  
Cool thanks!

IP Logged

Larry S.
Board Moderator

Reply #3 - 06/28/12 at 13:26:33
Quote Print Post  
The Largemouth should be on fire in the punchbowl so go up to the reeds and throw senkos up to the edge and they should come get it....even spinnerbait around the edges too.....the Smallies should be chasing jerkbaits and topwaters in the am/pm and dropshotting the points/coves should be productive too. Have a great time!!!

IP Logged

Rob M.
Ex Member

Reply #4 - 06/28/12 at 13:55:30
Quote Print Post  
Where's the punchbowl on Potholes? You must have been thinking Banks Lar.

Buzzbaits are good this time of the year also. Watermelon and green pumpkin are good colors for plastics pitched into brush. Jigs in bluegill or black and blue colors around brush and huts will still be effective. If there is some wind then chuck a spinnerbait around. This is mainly largemouth stuff.

For smallies, you stick to the rocks and throw everything until you see what they are hitting on. Typical dropshot baits, grubs, crawdad imitators, or reaction baits like a crank or jerkbait, spinnerbait. They should be moving out off the spawning flats so you may have to cover some water to find them, other than around the rock pile. Fish hold there year round. Late evening topwater with a sammie can be good up and down the dam. 

IP Logged

Larry S.
Board Moderator

Reply #5 - 06/28/12 at 16:33:02
Quote Print Post  
WHOA!!!Sorry bout that!! Was tired this morning and thought I saw Banks

IP Logged

Rodney H
WBC Member

Why must I work!

Reply #6 - 06/28/12 at 19:41:37
Quote Print Post  
Quote:
WHOA!!!Sorry bout that!! Was tired this morning and thought I saw Banks

Some body wake up Larry! He is having nightmares of bass in the punch bowl!  Grin

I would drag some heavy football jigs w/watermellon hula grubs over the rocky points and piles. This may also yeild a tastey walleye for dinner.

G3 Boats, A Yamaha Boat Company, HP180
AIM  
IP Logged

Lunk-botham
Forum Member

I Love WBC!

Reply #7 - 07/04/12 at 04:18:55
Quote Print Post  
thanks for the info it was quite helpful!  Had a awesome trip, great weather and feel I feel like im starting to figure out the dunes a little bit...  i mean a little bit!  thats the most confusing fishing area ive ever explored!  caught (4) 3+ pounders back there.  Everyone i talked to said bassin was horrible all week for some reason.  we had no luck with the smallies at all!!! just a few tiny guys.  a lot of guys out there were not getting a thing so i feel pretty good about getting what I did! 

Next time i go i will definitely have GPS to assist!

IP Logged

Rob M.
Ex Member

Reply #8 - 07/04/12 at 19:39:41
Quote Print Post  
Good. What did you get them to bite on? Any topwater action? I talked to a buddy who said fishing was tough on Sunday.

IP Logged

Lunk-botham
Forum Member

I Love WBC!

Reply #9 - 07/04/12 at 20:29:54
Quote Print Post  
Got 1 large mouth on a popper in the dunes but no other top water action and no 1 bait or color seemed to work.   Caught largemouth in the dunes on a black jig, a brown senko, a white popper, and a hula grub.  Caught a nice largie out by the spillway in lind coulee on a rattletrap.  Caught only tiny small mouth around the dam on a drop shot.  I tried eveything  to find them but had no luck!

IP Logged

Rob M.
Ex Member

Reply #10 - 07/06/12 at 05:28:56
Quote Print Post  
Yeah I've always had a tough time catching big smallies in the summer time. There is so much rocky bottom between the dam to goose island and up and down Lind Coulee for them to roam. The area with all the fish habitat stuff near Blythe might be a good place to go in summer. I stick to largemouth action this time of year.

IP Logged

Bookmarks: del.icio.us Digg Facebook Google Google+ Linked in reddit StumbleUpon Twitter Yahoo