Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) May 1st-8th Potholes. (Read 7917 times)
Larry S.
Board Moderator

May 1st-8th Potholes.
05/10/10 at 14:00:35
Quote Print Post  
Just got pics downloaded and got un-packed.....with the low pressure stalled over Montana and spinning bands of Thunderstorms at us it was difficult at best to get out...Me and (Huntfishspokane) got out Saturday the 1st. and well...we really earned the 4 Largemouth we got...Good to see Jake get his first sight fish/ Bed fish opportunity...it was a classic!!

Unfortunately for us the excitment was just starting as we started across the lake to get to some Smally areas we encountered heavy swells and whitecap conditions...we came off plane to plow through the sweels when we fell into three large troughs of 10-12 ft!!!! I have never had to....and hope to never again yell the words.."Get the Bailing Bucket and start bailing!!! as the water got up to our knees!!! but the bilge pumps caught up and we made it to the launch OK but minus some sunglasses..beanie and a cracked nose cone for the outboard steering/control access and a new set of plugs....

Sunday was a wind-off with just 4 hrs fishing...Monday had winds in excess of 50 MPH sustained with gusts to 65!!! saw and was in a tackle store when the roof came off an apartment building and crashed into the building!!...Tuesday got down to 28 degrees with hard frost...did get out but only for a few hours due to Thunderstorms!!....Wednesday...same thing as the wind and storms kept chasing us off....Thursday starting to improve as I got four Smallies off rock piles and shelfs....dropshots and Carolina rigs.

Largemouth just starting to move around again but super skiddish...even long casts spook them off!! lots of wind damaged trees blocking some of the better bays and pools.....Friday was tough as it was warming and I should have moved to the Smally pattern but stayed looking for cruising, staged Largies and found them ...around 15 different fish just could get none to the boat...broke off three and had two come un buttoned!!!
With no fish to take pics of got some sunset stuff and some deer pics...

Last day... Saturday....went back with a club member... got back in the dunes and finally seeing interested fish...boated the first...a solid 4 lber on a tube bait...saw several cruisers and was able to cast far enough ahead with a Senko to get a 3 lber to go and then got another on a Senko also a 3.....

my partner worked two bed fish for two hours and got a 3-3/4 Smally later in the day....overall for me just 9 fish total but considering the conditions...well worth the trip!!! Thanks to Jake, Glenn and Keri and Bob Payseno for coming along!! OK...Good to see you and the Fly-Guys Russell!! and post some pics of the fish will ya!!!

« Last Edit: 03/18/11 at 04:50:08 by Larry S. »  

IP Logged

basspro
Ex Member

Re: May 1st-8th Potholes.
Reply #1 - 05/10/10 at 17:09:34
Quote Print Post  
Larry,

Here you go:

http://www.arnoldanimations.com/photos/slideshow56.html

Found the fishing to be a little better best 4 on Saturday between 20-21 lbs. We had a 5-1 smallie, 3 largies that were 3-11, 5-3, and 6-9. Sunday fished for about 4 hours had a 4+ smallie, and 3-4 smallies in the 2-3lb range.

All in all a lot of fun.

Russ

IP Logged

Y2SAYS
Forum Administrator
WBC Member
WBC Board Member

Reply #2 - 05/12/10 at 01:59:17
Quote Print Post  
Som and I will be there Sunday and Monday.  Can't wait.  Thanks for the report.

"Do or do not, there is no try"

IP Logged

basspro
Ex Member

Reply #3 - 05/13/10 at 00:15:57
Quote Print Post  
Lets try these pictures this time:

IP Logged

Jack
Forum Member

Reply #4 - 05/13/10 at 03:11:22
Quote Print Post  
I was there there that whole time as well,ran into all of the above folks.  Plenty of fish to be had, a newbie was with me for two days and got his first bass, first bed fish as well. over all a great ten days, 'cept for that nasty dust storm,my truck will never be the same,nor will my house. Burned tumbleweeds for days, AGAIN!

IP Logged

Sarge
Ex Member

Reply #5 - 05/13/10 at 03:58:09
Quote Print Post  
Going over there Friday thru Sunday. These pics are getting me all pumped to go! The weather looks awesome, too. Thanks, guys.

IP Logged

Y2SAYS
Forum Administrator
WBC Member
WBC Board Member

Reply #6 - 05/19/10 at 06:48:20
Quote Print Post  

IP Logged

gotfive
Ex Member

Reply #7 - 05/19/10 at 14:22:06
Quote Print Post  
Sweet vids, Y2.  Thanks for posting them up.

IP Logged

Troy
Ex Member

Reply #8 - 05/19/10 at 22:18:35
Quote Print Post  
those are cool videos!  what do you use to film them?

troy

IP Logged

Y2SAYS
Forum Administrator
WBC Member
WBC Board Member

Reply #9 - 05/19/10 at 23:51:24
Quote Print Post  
I brought my HD camcorder with me.

IP Logged

Larry S.
Board Moderator

Reply #10 - 05/20/10 at 02:06:09
Quote Print Post  
Great video work Says...you and Som have it happnin! I will have some action vids after I get back on the 8th. Of June.

IP Logged

Chris B.
Ex Member

Reply #11 - 05/20/10 at 04:20:59
Quote Print Post  
Nice job Says and Som !

Here's a quick video of Suzy Q on Moses sunday.  About the only action we had all day sadly.  Video was taken with a standard Olympus digital camera.

IP Logged

Sarge
Ex Member

Reply #12 - 05/20/10 at 16:38:15
Quote Print Post  
What's the story on those dropshot weights, Chris?  Huh

IP Logged

Sarge
Ex Member

Reply #13 - 05/20/10 at 16:50:41
Quote Print Post  
Our best three fish from the prefishing weekend on Potholes:

Even though the weather is tough over there this weekend, you guys should slay 'em pretty good! The quality of largemouth over there right now is amazing.

Chris

IP Logged

dgarrett
Ex Member

Reply #14 - 05/20/10 at 17:38:10
Quote Print Post  
Wow, great pictures Chris. I'm really excited to fish this weekend now.  I had almost forgotten how gorgeous those Potholes bass are.  Nice LMB.

IP Logged

Bookmarks: del.icio.us Digg Facebook Google Google+ Linked in reddit StumbleUpon Twitter Yahoo