Normal Topic Lake Chelan, post tournament week (Read 9223 times)
Rodney H
WBC Member

Why must I work!

Lake Chelan, post tournament week
09/27/09 at 00:08:22
Quote Print Post  
As many of you know I stayed at Lake Chelan after the tournament.  The weather stayed very warm and calm, the lake was almost like glass every day of Monday thru Friday. It was a tough bite all week, I fished from the dam all the way up to just a little past the narrow area called Shrine Beach. All the fish I caught where 20 to 50 feet deep, I found one area where I caught 12 fish in a small area 30 to 50 feet down. After the first 2, I changed baits and soon found I was able to catch them on 11 different baits in that area all drop shotted. On no day did I catch any numbers of fish, would have been able to bring in a 5 fish limit with the exception of Friday, had one smallie, 2 squaw fish and 12 trout. I fished different areas every day in an atempt to learn as much as I could of this lake. I do want to fish this lake in the spawning timeframe.

My big fish of the week, 3.3 lbs.

Why did the 2 pounders show up after the tounament?

Anna with her first Lake Chelan bass, she proceded to catch three more that where bigger in the 2 pound range using a Texas rigged Senko w/1/8 oz pegged worm weight.

G3 Boats, A Yamaha Boat Company, HP180
AIM  
IP Logged

The_Rev.
Ex Member

Re: Lake Chelan, post tournament week
Reply #1 - 10/07/09 at 19:02:04
Quote Print Post  
I got to go over the next weekend to stay at a friend's cabin for a week.  I was located about 9 miles up the lake, a couple of miles past the state park on the west side, and I must admit I was frustrated the first day or two.  I fished fairly shallow but never got to experience the "great topwater bite" I often hear of on Lake Chelan.  (Is it too late in the year?) 

Finally on the third day I switched over to fluorocarbon and down-sized my baits and began to catch fish in 20 feet or less.  Most were small. Unfortunately for every bass I caught, I nailed a dozen trout.

I did discover some large fish on the fourth day after traveling down closer towards Chelan.  I found some actual mud flats in 28-30 feet of water that had a few bigger bass positioned right on the drop offs.  The wind kept me from fishing those spots on the 5th and 6th day.

On the last day, my daughter's boyfriend joined me.  Relatively new at fishing, I decided to take him trolling for trout and bass.  He was having a good time with the trout, but then we came around a bend and both hooked up with smallies.  We turned around and went through that same small stretch and caught a couple more.  Before we were done, we caught 15 bass and a dozen trout within a 15 minute span in that one little stretch.  He was thrilled at how hard the bass fought compared to the trout.  Maybe I can convert him!

So over all it was a nice time, but I never hooked up with anything over 2.5 pounds.  From what I am gathering, I just stayed too shallow to find the larger fish?  Do any of those bigger fish come off the steep rocky shorelines that disappear into the depths at 45 degrees?  Or do they tend to come more off the flatter slopes?  I never did get down to the City of Chelan area because all the hydro's were running that week.  Is that a flatter more basin shaped area of water? 

Just sitting here scratching my head wondering what I should have done different...

IP Logged

Bookmarks: del.icio.us Digg Facebook Google Google+ Linked in reddit StumbleUpon Twitter Yahoo