Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) The Fishing Industry (Read 3359 times)
The_Rev.
Ex Member

The Fishing Industry
05/22/09 at 00:07:13
Quote Print Post  
I'm curious:  I realize the fishing industry is struggling now because of the recession, but let's pretend the economy was good.  What job or career in the fishing or tackle industries would you like to pursue if you had a magic wand?   Would you like to be  a fishing guide, engaged in boat sales or maintenance, tackle salesman, tackle designer or rod builder, fish management or enforcement, fishing magazine writer or editor, TV fishing host, etc.. ?  (And don't everyone say "B.A.S.S. Angler of the Year!"  That is stretching it a bit!)

Sure, I know, most of us are confined by family responsibilities, financial demands, and have a host of other reasons we have to stay in the fields or jobs we're presently in, but we can dream can't we?  

I ask this because I am seriously considering alternatives to the ordained ministry. (Don't tell my church!)  And it's fun to explore other possibilities.  So come on - play along with me.  Fire up the imagination and share a fishing or tackle industry dream...

IP Logged

basspro
Ex Member

Re: The Fishing Industry
Reply #1 - 05/22/09 at 00:16:04
Quote Print Post  
Rev,

I have been pondering the boat sales and maintenance question for the last few months myself. I have even found a great location with building and fence lot included to open it.

Now all I have to do is come up with a half a million for inventory and find a good reputable and skilled technician. You know there are not a lot of options for fishing boat maintenance and sales of bass boats in our area and feel that this location would be a great opportunity. About 50,000 - 70,000 cars drive by this site evryday and it is located just off of a major hwy and close to 3 very popular lakes.

I thought I would bring in aluminum small boats for the local waters and have a bass boat line. Heck I thought of bringing in camper sales as well.

I'm looking into it,

Russ

IP Logged

M_Fields
Forum Member

Support the Troops!

Reply #2 - 05/22/09 at 00:19:03
Quote Print Post  
Rev,

I would like to follow someone's foot steps like Ray Scott or Forrest L. Wood.  I would like to be able to put on and run a fantastic touny trail.

Marc

"Residing in Missouri wishin I was in Washington"

IP Logged

Sarge
Ex Member

Reply #3 - 05/22/09 at 00:20:20
Quote Print Post  
Fish management!  Grin

IP Logged

The_Rev.
Ex Member

Reply #4 - 05/23/09 at 01:04:55
Quote Print Post  
Sarge, I'm shocked!  Where did you get such a wild idea!   Wink

IP Logged

Sarge
Ex Member

Reply #5 - 05/23/09 at 19:08:35
Quote Print Post  
Seriously though, Rev... What are your expectations for a salary? I understand that you probably wouldn't want to share that publicly, but if you're interested message me and I could give you lots of ideas from the biological side depending on your "needs".

Chris

IP Logged

brokentrail
Forum Member

I fish because the voices
in my head tell me to!

Reply #6 - 05/23/09 at 19:09:55
Quote Print Post  
Rev,

I have two choices for this question, first would be just being a bass angler, not angler of the year persay, but being able to fish all the time and make a living doing so has always bee a dream.  The more practical side would be fish management/enforcement.  I had once wanted to be a game warden but responsibilities pushed me into telecom and that is where I have been since.  It's hard to love the outdoors and not be out in it all the time.

Also sorry to hear your thinking of leaving the ministry, I know it is hard to find good folks in that field that can spread the word...

Cheers!&&&&Andy
IP Logged

trucknmusic
Ex Member

Reply #7 - 05/26/09 at 13:08:46
Quote Print Post  
If I thought it could be profitable enough I would open up a small specialty bass tackle shop or at least work in one w/ guide trips offered as well.

IP Logged

BassAholic
Forum Member

Fords don't float !

Reply #8 - 05/26/09 at 16:06:26
Quote Print Post  
I have found that when you turn  hobbies or loves into jobs it can become a thing you start to hate over time.
But if I had my choice I would say Bass Bum
OOO I am that now so never mind. Wink

Fish like you are retired!&&Work like your on vacation!&&
IP Logged

gotfive
Ex Member

Reply #9 - 05/26/09 at 17:32:04
Quote Print Post  
While I used to want to be a professional angler, the time committment just would not fit my personality.  After hearing Jay Yelas this weekend talk about a tournament taking 10 days from start to finish, youza, just not my cup of tea.  I would think something in the biology field would be fun and stimulating.  Not a big fan of retail sales at all, but maybe a partner is a resort operation that catered to fishing could be fun.

IP Logged

Castman
WBC Member

Reply #10 - 05/28/09 at 23:34:24
Quote Print Post  
How about the obvious.  Taking your ministry to the water, but in this case evangelizing kids into the fold of the sport of fishing and the outdoors.  Something like, oh I don't know, Fishing Kids or CAST for Kids.  

You could preach to the holy word of bass fishing to both the non-fishing youth and to the Infidel slimer fishers.

You could teach them from the holy bass books of Clunn, Nixon, Yelas, and the other angling saints.  

You could sprinkle them with holy water of the livewell and wash them in the smelling jelly of scent.

And finally you could baptize them in waters of the scared of sacreds - Banks Lake

Or just sell old lures at county fairs.

Your choice.

IP Logged

Rwfaz
Ex Member

Reply #11 - 05/29/09 at 18:09:33
Quote Print Post  
With your knowledge and experience on Lake Washington, a guide service could be an interesting option to start as a part-time thing, and if it builds to a full time career would I imagine be veryt rewarding, passing on knowledge and getting people excited about Bass.

In the long run, you would have time to expand your knowledge to more lakes and grow the guide operation.

Faz

IP Logged

The_Rev.
Ex Member

Reply #12 - 06/18/09 at 18:25:57
Quote Print Post  
Just wanted to say thanks to all who participated in this discussion.  Your ideas, both serious and funny, stimulated the brain and got me to thinking about other opportunities - several of which I am researching and exploring.  You're a great club - and if I ever find a magic wand, I will hunt you all down and make your "fishing wishes" come true.  (Just don't hold you breath - I'm not sure what a magic wand really looks like! Grin)  But again - thanks!  You guys are alright!

IP Logged

Rwfaz
Ex Member

Reply #13 - 06/22/09 at 20:03:51
Quote Print Post  
"Magic Wand"

Quantum Performance Matched AC series rod, matched with an Quantum Accurist AC501 reel, spooled with 10lb Silver Thread Excalibur, throwing a Strike King KVD Sexy Shad crankbait, with a 9lb Largemouth attached by all 6 barbs simultaneously!!!!

There's my current version of a "Magic Wand"...... what's yours?  Roll Eyes

IP Logged

Bookmarks: del.icio.us Digg Facebook Google Google+ Linked in reddit StumbleUpon Twitter Yahoo